Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: By the numbers; where to find four, five or six game streaks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:56 pm 

The Bucs need to play .656 ball in order to win 88 games (21-11), the past floor for a wild card berth. Personally I believe their playoff chances ended with the two games they blew in Washington. Instead of being back at 8 games over they were down at 4. But oh well.

If they are to make a run for the playoffs they need to string together a few streaks and not just win series, because winning 2 of 3 only nets you one game.

So where in the upcoming schedule can they rip off a four five or six game win streak or two?

Home: Cards 3, Reds 3 Well, if they lose three to the Cards, then turn out the lights, it's over. Reds are reeling right now, are probably mailing it in from here on out. 5-1 is a definite possibility, especially with Liriano, Cole and Locke going against the Redbirds

Away Cards 3, Cubs 3, Philies 4 I hope to not get swept by the Cards. Those four in Philly could be the season. Three out of four would be lovely, especially with two (or more) wins in Chicago.

Home: Cubs 3, Red Sox 3, Brewers 3 We usually beat the Cubs at home. Red Sox are playing out the string and can't use the DH, and I see 2 of 3 from the Brewers. 7-2, not out of the realm of probability.

Away: Braves 4, Reds 3; Anyone else have total cold sweat, nightmares about four in Atlanta? I sure do! And we beat the Reds at the end of the season last year!

Thoughts????

Post subject: Re: By the numbers; where to find four, five or six game str
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:31 pm 

That'll be tough. You're right, the two blown leads by the bullpen in Washington are tough to get over.

Basically the pitching and defense is going to have to be lights out from now until the end of September.

Is not easy to look back on certain games during the season. So many scenarios, so many numbers to calculate but the games that I remember the most that just hurt.

Definitely the two in Washington. How about the two blown saves at home against milwaukee? The bucs really laid a stink against the Mets in New York. Not taking the padres series after taking game one recently. Anyone remember the game the bucs lost at home after jumping out to a big lead only to squander it? Don't remember who that was against. Its a long season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:42 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Anyone remember the game the bucs lost at home after jumping out to a big lead only to squander it? Don't remember who that was against. Its a long season.

Was that the San Fran game where they could have swept?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 pm 

How about all those brewers games they blew earlier in the season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:51 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
Anyone remember the game the bucs lost at home after jumping out to a big lead only to squander it? Don't remember who that was against. Its a long season.

Was that the San Fran game where they could have swept?

That was San Fran. They also had a 7-2 lead or so in Game #1 against the Giants back home in May that they blew, and that cost them the sweep!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:52 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
How about all those brewers games they blew earlier in the season.

Two games, that were a big difference, but that was April. I see their season as having started on May 1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:53 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Corsair wrote:
The Bucs need to play .656 ball in order to win 88 games (21-11), the past floor for a wild card berth. Personally I believe their playoff chances ended with the two games they blew in Washington. Instead of being back at 8 games over they were down at 4. But oh well.

If they are to make a run for the playoffs they need to string together a few streaks and not just win series, because winning 2 of 3 only nets you one game.

So where in the upcoming schedule can they rip off a four five or six game win streak or two?

Home: Cards 3, Reds 3 Well, if they lose three to the Cards, then turn out the lights, it's over. Reds are reeling right now, are probably mailing it in from here on out. 5-1 is a definite possibility, especially with Liriano, Cole and Locke going against the Redbirds

Away Cards 3, Cubs 3, Philies 4 I hope to not get swept by the Cards. Those four in Philly could be the season. Three out of four would be lovely, especially with two (or more) wins in Chicago.

Home: Cubs 3, Red Sox 3, Brewers 3 We usually beat the Cubs at home. Red Sox are playing out the string and can't use the DH, and I see 2 of 3 from the Brewers. 7-2, not out of the realm of probability.

Away: Braves 4, Reds 3; Anyone else have total cold sweat, nightmares about four in Atlanta? I sure do! And we beat the Reds at the end of the season last year!

Thoughts????

I think the floor is a little lower this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

They are a game behind a .527 team for the last spot. They just need to be better than sf and atl.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 pm 

mjdouble wrote:
Corsair wrote:
The Bucs need to play .656 ball in order to win 88 games (21-11), the past floor for a wild card berth...

Thoughts????

I think the floor is a little lower this year.

I agree only because the Bucs have so many games left vs. DIV foes: nine vs. potential playoff ones (MIL/STL) and twelve vs. non (CHC/CIN). Take a majority of those and maybe they can take the division or sneak in the last 'wild card' at around 85-86 W's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 pm 

They've got a nice stretch of 16 games in a row against below .500 teams coming up, Cubs, Phils, and Red Sox. How about then? Maybe nest a nice 8 game streak in there somewhere. Winning, that is...