Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Polanco to AAA per Ken Rosenthal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 am 

Cheap Nuttings must've realized they missed the Super Two deadline.

Post subject: Re: Polanco to AAA per Ken Rosenthal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:08 am 

If true and in all seriousness, it must be for the purpose to get him some regular playing time and some ABs before September roster expansion. Sitting on the bench isn't doing him much good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 am 

Nothing wrong with this. He probably needs to work on some things. He will be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 am 

Isn't Lambo hitting pretty well right now?

If so, this may simply be a decision to (1) bring up Lambo to be the left handed pinch hitter off the bench for a week and (2) get Polanco some regular ABs to see if he might find his eye in advance of 9/1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 am 

Biertempfel said the plan is to keep him there until the end of Indy's season. Their final game is September 1 and they're currently out of the playoffs with a slim chance of turning it around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 am 

I suppose. I still didn't think they would do that. I saw something the other day about the importance of minor league playoffs. Could it be they want him back there to help Indy? Wow- maybe they did rush him...

Question now is- is Lambo coming?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:15 am 

Bucs Dugout hypothesizes that it could be Tabata being promoted because the Cards have 3 lefties in the bullpen and it could simply be a match-up issue.

Tabata has been on a nice run over the past week or so. A number of multi-hit games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:53 am 
 WWW  Profile

I think Lambo needs to be given a real Major League chance. What is left for him to show in AAA?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:37 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

If so, this may simply be a decision to (1) bring up Lambo to be the left handed pinch hitter off the bench for a week and (2) get Polanco some regular ABs to see if he might find his eye in advance of 9/1.

Lambo had 2 homers, 3 singles, and a walk in 3 games this weekend. His OPS sits at .945.

Nothing left for him to prove down there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:07 pm 

It's at least a little bit ridiculous that Lambo hasn't had a real shot in the majors at this point. Aside from time at 1B for Pedro (which may be a very real factor in their decision not to bring him up at this point), what do they have to lose by giving him Ike Davis' ABs?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:58 pm 

Davis does have a 122 wRC+ against righties. I don't think it's guaranteed that we get that out of Lambo.

The clearest path was for him to take Polanco's ABs but Snider's really come on of late.

Edit: To be clear, I don't mind throwing Lambo into the fire and seeing what he has the rest of the year. I think the fanbase would just need to be willing to accept a step back in production during the process. I never really considered this a big year for them so continuing to set their core is fine by me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:39 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:

Or maybe they just noticed that he's one for his last thirty.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:40 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

I'm hearing it's Tabata, who has finally heated up and has the advantage of batting right handed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:42 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I think Lambo needs to be given a real Major League chance. What is left for him to show in AAA?

He'd be coming up to pinch hit, nothing more. They're not sitting Snider or Pedro to give him at bats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:51 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Davis does have a 122 wRC+ against righties. I don't think it's guaranteed that we get that out of Lambo.

The clearest path was for him to take Polanco's ABs but Snider's really come on of late.

Edit: To be clear, I don't mind throwing Lambo into the fire and seeing what he has the rest of the year. I think the fanbase would just need to be willing to accept a step back in production during the process. I never really considered this a big year for them so continuing to set their core is fine by me.

True. I was thinking of Davis as expendable with Pedro's apparent move to 1B. Further research tells me that the choice between Davis and Alvarez on the long end of the platoon isn't exactly obvious from an offensive standpoint.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:26 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

Or maybe they just noticed that he's one for his last thirty.

It was sarcasm after all of the talk show hosts and stat line scouts were convinced they were screwing him over for monetary reasons.

Was hopeful that he was a rare exception after his hot start but he was rushed quite a bit. Especially considering he saw his production drop his 2nd and 3rd times through the AAA opponents. His season numbers were bolstered by a ridiculous April that's shaping up as a well-timed outlier.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:38 pm 

Polanco is struggling mightily at the plate. Also, he has had more problems in RF than I would have expected.

He plays so freaking deep ... and yet the ball the guy hit in Washington went over his head, when I think it should have been caught.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:05 pm 

Where are all the people that accused the pirates of being cheap because he didn't start the season day 1? How about all the people that called Neal a liar when he said Greg needs more time?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:14 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Polanco is struggling mightily at the plate. Also, he has had more problems in RF than I would have expected.

He plays so freaking deep ... and yet the ball the guy hit in Washington went over his head, when I think it should have been caught.

Probably appropriate to mention that his routes and reads in RF were cited as a concern and it was roundly criticized by the media (namely Zeise and Dunlap, who are both idiots) as nitpicking or outright lying to cover their asses for helping Nutting hoard money.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:44 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Probably appropriate to mention that his routes and reads in RF were cited as a concern and it was roundly criticized by the media (namely Zeise and Dunlap, who are both idiots) as nitpicking or outright lying to cover their asses for helping Nutting hoard money.

Agreed.

It did not take long for me to remember that discussion and think that the Pirates were absolutely correct. Polanco's reads were sometimes pretty iffy.

I know that when an outfielder on a team I was coaching was struggling defensively, I always had him play 5' deeper than normal, since fielding a ball coming in is a lot easier than fielding one while going back.

The problem is that it takes longer to get to singles in front of you, and runners basically get that extra 5'. The first single to RF yesterday in the bottom of the 2nd would have been an out and 1 less run if Polanco is 5' further in.