Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Situational Hitting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:35 pm 

Interesting article from Grantland that discusses many of the same things we've talked about here.

http://grantland.com/features/mlb-2014-situational-hitting-challenges-beating-the-shift/

Post subject: Re: Situational Hitting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:52 pm 

Props to Lindbergh for actually reading Jason Kendall's book, it appears.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:57 pm 

Lindberg's article on pitch framing was a very good read. Although, the notion floating around in SABR circles that the importance of pitch framing by catchers was only recently "discovered" by sabrematrcians is pretty farcical - at least to me. I was being taught the importance of pitch framing back in 1980 when I starting catching in Babe Ruth baseball. We debated defensive skills, pitch framing and pitch receiving when Kendall was a Pirate. It is not a new concept. Attempting to put a "run value" or "run prevented value" on framing may be a relatively new concept, I'll grant that . . . but catchers with good pitch framing skills have been desired for decades.

This article . . . pretty thin on the substance and analysis. I'm not sure that he has a firm grasp of the pitcher/catcher dynamics nor do I think that he's got a firm grasp of hitting strategies. He makes many assumptions in reaching his conclusions. He ignores a plethora of variables.

Here is his one key assumption upon which he builds his subsequent analysis and conclusions:

Before we focus on shifts, we should turn our eyes to four other scenarios that are widely believed (based on broadcaster patter) to be ripe for situational hitting. If we can find evidence of an altered approach in those cases, then we can tell whether it’s realistic to expect Duda (or any other victim of the shift) to fight back by going the other way.

Nope. Wrong. Glaringly wrong. At least on the numbers that he looked at.

But, hey, it gave him a good opportunity to rip on broadcasters for their silly little "patter" and lack of understanding of the game. It also gave him an opportunity to take a snarky shot at those silly little ballplayers who really don't get it. It is exactly this type of ego-driven passage that drives me crazy:

With a runner on second, first base open, and nobody out, the batter has a strong incentive to hit the ball to the right side. If he moves the runner to third to set up the sac-fly situation, he’ll be greeted with fist bumps and butt pats back at the bench and praised on the broadcast for his selfless, team-first attitude. Fist bumps and butt pats make the baseball world go round, so this is serious motivation.

The passage in italics adds nothing to what he is trying to prove, advocate or opine. It may play to a certain audience but it substantively detracts from the overall piece of work. Given the number of assumptions and variables ignored, maybe he realized that had to do it to distract from the substance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:32 pm 

One thing that is crucial on hitting behind the runner, with runner on 2nd and no outs ...

Hey, you know that balls hit to RF can actually wind up as hits? So you get the benefit of (1) a potential base hit and (2) if not, then the runner moves to 3rd with 1 out.

If Jordy Mercer is batting with a runner on 2nd and no outs, I want him to hit it to the right side. His BA going the other way is quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
One thing that is crucial on hitting behind the runner, with runner on 2nd and no outs ...

Hey, you know that balls hit to RF can actually wind up as hits? So you get the benefit of (1) a potential base hit and (2) if not, then the runner moves to 3rd with 1 out.

If Jordy Mercer is batting with a runner on 2nd and no outs, I want him to hit it to the right side. His BA going the other way is quite good.

For me, its about having a strategy when you walk to the plate.
For example, against the Cardinals in Game #1, Snider came to bat after Harrison led off the game with a double. Snider's strategy at that point must be to look for a pitch on inner half that he can pull. He should not be looking to hit opposite field early in the count.
Two strikes? Different story. Just have to put the ball in play.
Going after an outside high first pitch and hitting it to the third baseman is just not sound strategy.

But your underlying point is important . . . just because a batter is looking to hit to a particular field does NOT mean that he is looking to make an out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:46 pm 

I knew No. 9 would weigh in............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: