Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MLB Trend - Ks and Walks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:41 am 

sisyphus wrote:
No, I wouldn't, not that it matters, because there is no way to do that without making huge fundamental changes to the game and building a lot of enormous new ballparks.
Fair enough -- I agree it'll never happen for many reasons (some of which are good), but I disagree that it would make the game worse. At the least, I would be very interested in a hypothetical preseason where the rules are tweaked to favor more contact, less homers.

I suspect that if baseball were invented today (by people of the same mindset who originally developed it), the rules/field dimensions would not be what they currently are. Players are bigger and throw harder. Some sports have made fundamental changes to accommodate advances in coaching/training/equipment (e.g. golf course have been lengthened, and club distance is limited; the NFL has changed tackling rules as players have gotten bigger/stronger/faster; hockey allows 2 line passes to break through newer defensive schemes), and some sports have done nothing and IMO suffered for it (tennis has too many aces, basketball has become more of an isolation sport with incredibly tall men so close to the rim).

I put baseball in that second category because it stretches less action over more time, compared to when the game was developed.

sisyphus wrote:
It wouldn't be significant to you, but it sure would be significant to the teams who are signing these guys to guaranteed contracts. Pitchers have been permitted warmups since the game was invented, so it's not like it's some new innovation that added time to the games. Besides, would you rather just watch the pitcher stand on the mound waiting for all the commercials to end?

I meant significant in the sense of being measurable. I don't believe that after warming up as long as they'd like on a bullpen mound, pitchers will find game mounds different enough so as to cause any additional injury. Money aside, if there are no (non-bullpen) warmups, there are no commercials to wait through -- that's the point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:07 pm 

rks wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
No, I wouldn't, not that it matters, because there is no way to do that without making huge fundamental changes to the game and building a lot of enormous new ballparks.
Fair enough -- I agree it'll never happen for many reasons (some of which are good), but I disagree that it would make the game worse. At the least, I would be very interested in a hypothetical preseason where the rules are tweaked to favor more contact, less homers.

I suspect that if baseball were invented today (by people of the same mindset who originally developed it), the rules/field dimensions would not be what they currently are. Players are bigger and throw harder. Some sports have made fundamental changes to accommodate advances in coaching/training/equipment (e.g. golf course have been lengthened, and club distance is limited; the NFL has changed tackling rules as players have gotten bigger/stronger/faster; hockey allows 2 line passes to break through newer defensive schemes), and some sports have done nothing and IMO suffered for it (tennis has too many aces, basketball has become more of an isolation sport with incredibly tall men so close to the rim).

I put baseball in that second category because it stretches less action over more time, compared to when the game was developed.

sisyphus wrote:
It wouldn't be significant to you, but it sure would be significant to the teams who are signing these guys to guaranteed contracts. Pitchers have been permitted warmups since the game was invented, so it's not like it's some new innovation that added time to the games. Besides, would you rather just watch the pitcher stand on the mound waiting for all the commercials to end?

I meant significant in the sense of being measurable. I don't believe that after warming up as long as they'd like on a bullpen mound, pitchers will find game mounds different enough so as to cause any additional injury. Money aside, if there are no (non-bullpen) warmups, there are no commercials to wait through -- that's the point.

No commercials? No sport is EVER going to change it's rules in such a way as to reduce the time for commercials. Football has touchdown, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. You think baseball would give up commercials during a pitching change?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:23 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
No commercials? No sport is EVER going to change it's rules in such a way as to reduce the time for commercials. Football has touchdown, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. You think baseball would give up commercials during a pitching change?

No, I don't think they will consider any of my original items. They are idle musings about what I think would improve the game, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:52 pm 

The between innings wait due to all the commercials is frustrating. When I was a kid I remember the players hustling on the field right after the last out of an inning. Now because of commercials, which I know pay the bills, players actually hang around the dugout for awhile then sort of slowly jog to their positions. That will never change, as mentioned above, but it sure is frustrating...and really noticeable when at a game in person.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:01 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

We don't have commercials in soccer. And there's a lot more money tied up in soccer players and clubs around the world.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:27 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

you beat me to it.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:34 am 

No commercials, but they advertise on the uniforms and on the ad boards on one side of the field. If you removed commercials, advertisers would find other ways to capitalize on the audience.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:05 pm 

RTJR wrote:
No commercials, but they advertise on the uniforms and on the ad boards on one side of the field. If you removed commercials, advertisers would find other ways to capitalize on the audience.

True. I'll trade those ads for no breaks in the game any time....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:38 pm 

val wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

We don't have commercials in soccer. And there's a lot more money tied up in soccer players and clubs around the world.

Ads right on the uniforms, and I've seen ads projected right onto the field during TV broadcasts, but no commercial breaks. One of the things I really like about soccer. Not looking forward to the day when we see the golden arches projected onto the center field grass during a Pirates broadcast, though. And they'd probably still have commercials.

Soccer is missing a real moneymaking opportunity, though, by not braking for commercial every time a player writhes on the field for five minutes while faking an injury.