Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap Nuttings...Errr, Rickets
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:39 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 52399.html

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Cheap Nuttings...Errr, Rickets
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:21 pm 

This is shameful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:49 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Why, its the Logical business decision/response to Obamacare, and you see it all over the country.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Well it just caused them to take a pretty public hit to their business.

Paying the minimum to all 25 players and taking the revenue sharing money is the logical business way to run a baseball team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:44 pm 

There are really two types of business owners in baseball. Let's just go ahead and rule out the extremely wealthy in the Bill Gates level.

1. The owner who is conservative and afraid of the red.
2. The owner who is fierce and lives in it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:05 pm 

Did Pittsburgh itself meltdown as much as Twitter on Wednesday after the Starkey interview with Nutting's minority owners and Kovacevic's corroboration of the report that he hasn't taken a penny for himself out of the team?

It was one of the better exercises in mental gymnastics I've seen in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:25 pm 

ZM, I usually agree with you and I hope it was tongue in cheek. Walmart has kept people part time long before Obamacare to avoid health insurance and they are not alone in that... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
ZM, I usually agree with you and I hope it was tongue in cheek. Walmart has kept people part time long before Obamacare to avoid health insurance and they are not alone in that... 8-) 8-)

That's true, Az, but is done in response to state laws mandating health insurance for any employee who works over [x] hours per week.

There is no easy analysis of this issue. But remember that businesses implement policies and procedures because it makes them money ... if we enact rules that will cost them money, then businesses will explore options to avoid paying that cost. It is the nature of business.

And before we pull out the soap box, ask yourself how many times customers using the business get a bill for $12.58 and say to the business, "Hey, here's a $20, keep the extra." Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander.

Now back to baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:17 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
There is no easy analysis of this issue. But remember that businesses implement policies and procedures because it makes them money ...

A fair question to ask . . . does hiring a bunch of temporary, low paid workers result in "making money?"
One person's take: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 ... after-all/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:32 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
A fair question to ask . . . does hiring a bunch of temporary, low paid workers result in "making money?"

No doubt, a fair question. But fast food restaurants are staffed by minimum wage teenagers and a meal at that place costs $6.00. A nice steak house is staffed by chefs and waiters/waitresses who earn very good money (much of it tips for the serving staff), and a meal at such place costs $35.00.

My point is, could we please - for the love of God - stop being surprised when we impose a cost on businesses and see the businesses take steps to avoid or reduce the cost??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:03 pm 

Health care companies are hanging on by a thread. Social security for the working class isn't going to survive as it continues to help the general fund.

Welfare is going strong as this country grows weaker in the education department. Just had a young black male try to break into my house last weekend. Had a Ruger waiting for him on the other side of the door. Thanks to a friend, a local cop, I was able to find out his past history and all I needed to know was he was young male supported by Obama as he continues to go no where in life. Why should this kid need to take care of himself? He gets welfare, Obama care and a pension and doesn't work! Gives him time to do drugs and break and enter others' properties.

Meanwhile an American kid is reprimanded for chewing pastry into the shape of a gun while Isis adults are teaching their children to be head Americans and whoever else they feel has violated their beliefs.

This world is fucked up. Wait, this is a pirates baseball chat forum. My bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:12 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
My point is, could we please - for the love of God - stop being surprised when we impose a cost on businesses and see the businesses take steps to avoid or reduce the cost??

Cost avoidance by companies will never surprise me - whether it involves avoiding costs of government regulation, terminating older workers who make "too much" money compared to what companies could pay younger workers or cutting employees or reducing the labor force to impose more responsibilities upon those who aren't cut.

"Surprise" isn't the right word. "Disgust" is the right word. People aren't expressing "surprise" at corporate response; they are expressing "disgust." And, in a fair number of incidents, the "market" has demonstrated its "disgust" by refusing to support a particular business. What "surprises" me are companies which think that they can offer inferior service, cut staff, deliver less quality and retain my business. That is what "surprises" me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:05 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/cubs-cut-grounds-crew-hours-to-avoid-paying-health-insurance-%E2%80%94-report-125552399.html

That story is a load of shit. That provision of the health care law doesn't take effect until next year. And if it was true, wouldn't the same sort of thing be happening all around baseball? You'd think the Pirates, with far fewer dollars to spend, would never be able to get the field covered at all.

The root of the problem in Chicago was either incompetence or cheapness.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:15 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

No doubt, a fair question. But fast food restaurants are staffed by minimum wage teenagers and a meal at that place costs $6.00. A nice steak house is staffed by chefs and waiters/waitresses who earn very good money (much of it tips for the serving staff), and a meal at such place costs $35.00.

Corporations will always do whatever they can to maximize return to their investors, that's their purpose, and there is nothing wrong with that. Some corporations will take cost cutting too far, and they'll pay the price when their customers go elsewhere to get better quality goods or services, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Of course, neither applies in this case, because the entire story is bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:04 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
"Surprise" isn't the right word. "Disgust" is the right word. People aren't expressing "surprise" at corporate response; they are expressing "disgust." And, in a fair number of incidents, the "market" has demonstrated its "disgust" by refusing to support a particular business.

You definitely strike me as one who would avoid frequenting a business that uses low wages and part-time hours to save a few bucks, but lose the benefit of 20-year employees with great knowledge of the company's product and who deliver excellent service as a result.

However, a vast majority of consumers now don't give a @#$& about anything other than price. Save $4.73 on an $80 item? They're in.

No. 9 wrote:
What "surprises" me are companies which think that they can offer inferior service, cut staff, deliver less quality and retain my business. That is what "surprises" me.

See above.

And I note that Wal-Mart is the biggest retailer in the United States. Is that because of their pro-employee policies? Their insistence on protecting employees? Or is it because consumers can save 30 cents on a can of tuna?

Make no mistake - I agree with your approach. There is little benefit to society as a whole where the business makes gobs of profit but the employees qualify for food stamps.

Henry Ford knew this, and that is why he paid his employees enough to be able to afford to buy the cars they were making for his company.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:41 am 

I understand cost cutting strategies to increase profit for investors. My point is that the Cubs' ownership, with all there money, attendance and ability to pay professional players millions, should be able to take care of the little guys too. Paying them a full time wage and health benefits, pales in comparison to the rest of the business model. The family that owns Walmart has a big number of the richest individuals in America should also not need to do it at the expense of the workers at the bottom of the chain. I never go to Walmart and will gladly pay the 30 cents extra for a can of tuna elsewhere. JMHO…. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:07 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Henry Ford knew this, and that is why he paid his employees enough to be able to afford to buy the cars they were making for his company.

Unfortunately, each Ford car they bought came with a free subscription to The Dearborn Independent. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:21 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I understand cost cutting strategies to increase profit for investors. My point is that the Cubs' ownership, with all there money, attendance and ability to pay professional players millions, should be able to take care of the little guys too. Paying them a full time wage and health benefits, pales in comparison to the rest of the business model. The family that owns Walmart has a big number of the richest individuals in America should also not need to do it at the expense of the workers at the bottom of the chain. I never go to Walmart and will gladly pay the 30 cents extra for a can of tuna elsewhere. JMHO…. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I've made one purchase at Walmart in my life, and that was only because my electric heater broke and Walmart was the only store I could find that carried the replacement that I wanted. I would have gladly paid more at another store. But my Walmart aversion dates back to when they were insisting that all of their products were made in America, which turned out to be a lie. That's one that I'll never forgive. Every other bad thing they do just makes it easier to avoid them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Why I won't shop at Wal-Mart...

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX