Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who is this Pirate?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:49 am 

I'll never forget the day this guy pitched in a double header vs. St. Louis, both games televised in Springfield, Missouri.
Bucs were dressed in all black on the 5th of July. I left Missouri for good the next morning..

Attachments:
who.jpg
who.jpg [ 14.93 KiB | Viewed 169 times ]

Post subject: Re: Who is this Pirate?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:51 am 

José DeLeón - Did he not lose 20 games one year for the Bucs... He was part of a dynamite trade that brought Bonilla to the Burgh though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:56 am 

Odell Jones it is. Saw him pitch in Charleston, S.C. when I was in college down there. Willie Randolph and Miguel Dilone too. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 pm 

pitt1073 wrote:
José DeLeón - Did he not lose 20 games one year for the Bucs... He was part of a dynamite trade that brought Bonilla to the Burgh though.

That's who I thought it was, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:10 pm 

My money is on DeLeon.

My Dad and I saw him pitch 6+ innings of no-hit ball against the Padres at old TRS when I was in 6th (maybe 7th grade). Although my memory isn't what it used to be, Steve Garvey broke up the no-no. (Either that, or he broke up the shut out).

The kicker to that story is that we saw Charlie Hudson of the Phillies throw 8+ innings of no-hit ball a couple of days earlier against the Astros. Again, with the caveat that my memory is not perfect, I'm almost positive that Dickie Thon broke it up with a HR.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:13 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
My money is on DeLeon.

My Dad and I saw him pitch 6+ innings of no-hit ball against the Padres at old TRS when I was in 6th (maybe 7th grade). Although my memory isn't what it used to be, Steve Garvey broke up the no-no. (Either that, or he broke up the shut out).

The kicker to that story is that we saw Charlie Hudson of the Phillies throw 8+ innings of no-hit ball a couple of days earlier against the Astros. Again, with the caveat that my memory is not perfect, I'm almost positive that Dickie Thon broke it up with a HR.

I was close . . . Garvey scored the only run for the Padres: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 7270.shtml
I've got the scorecard squirreled away at home somewhere among my baseball "treasures."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:23 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
My money is on DeLeon.

I was close . . . Garvey scored the only run for the Padres: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 7270.shtml
I've got the scorecard squirreled away at home somewhere among my baseball "treasures."

Close again . . . Thon's HR was the last hit in the ninth inning and capped off the Astros scoring 3 runs on 3 hits in the ninth inning. Their only hits of the game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 7200.shtml
And, it wasn't "a couple of days" between games. It was a week. And it was the summer after my Freshman year in HS. My memory bites.

Also . . . reading the box score reminded me that I was excited to see Omar Moreno live . . . even though he was in an Astros' uniform.

BTW, isn't Baseball Reference awesome?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:18 pm 

ding ding! pitt1073 correcto!

Jose lost 19 games twice.. once with us in '85 (he was 2-19!!) and once with Cardinals.

From baseball reference:
A career .091 hitter, Jose DeLeon played one game in the outfield for the Cardinals on May 14, 1988, when manager Whitey Herzog ran out of players in the 16th inning of a game against the Atlanta Braves. Herzog sent DeLeon, the previous day's starting pitcher, to left field and asked infielder Jose Oquendo to pitch. The Cardinals hung on with that makeshift line-up before losing the game in the 19th inning. DeLeon exchanged positions with right fielder Tom Brunansky 11 times during that stretch, in order to minimize the chances that a ball would be hit to the completely inexperienced pitcher-turned-outfielder. He was lifted for a pinch-hitter - another starting pitcher, John Tudor - as the Cardinals went down in the bottom of the 19th inning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49 pm 

Like you, No. 9, I decided to back up my story.

Holy smokes.. all these years I remembered Jose DeLeon as the guy who pitched the last Pirates game that
I watched back home (before leaving my family for Ohio.) I just looked up the game. Here I was wrong..
Jim Bibby pitched the nightcap of that doubleheader.

We lost 11-4.. George Hendrick and Ozzie Smith with four hits each in that game. Hendrick with the Red-
birds then