Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morton has sports hernia...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:48 pm 

MLB Trade Rumors reports that Ground Chuck has a sports hernia and chances of him returning this season are not good….. 8-) 8-)

Post subject: Re: Morton has sports hernia...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:03 pm 

If he was hurting for so long as they say and even as Morton has said, why did he keep going out there stinking up the joint chalking up loss after loss? Morton surely wasn't helping himself and more importantly the team by pitching "injured". :roll:

He has been one big reason the Pirates have not been as successful as one would have hoped going into this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:51 am 

With Cole and Liriano both out for awhile, maybe he kept quiet and tried to work through it. As good as he was in May, June and early July...it explains his sudden and significant drop in results.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:06 am 

I'm assuming that all sports hernias are not created equal. AJ is pitching through his.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:30 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I'm assuming that all sports hernias are not created equal. AJ is pitching through his.

Not very well. Every guy in the Pirates rotation is better than A.J. now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:29 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
With Cole and Liriano both out for awhile, maybe he kept quiet and tried to work through it. As good as he was in May, June and early July...it explains his sudden and significant drop in results.

Chris, I know what you're saying...but...Charlie's record in May was 1-4. His only win was against Washington on May 23rd. He started 6 games in May. On May 6th, his no decision game, the Pirates won that game against the Giants.

His best month was June. He was 3-2. Charlie started 5 games that month.

In July, he started 6 games with a 1-1 record. The other 4 games were no decision games. The Pirates won 2 games and the Pirates lost 2 of those games.

Charlie was just so-so the entire season...May, July, and August being "not very good at all" (I'm being kind with my words).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

Chris, I know what you're saying...but...Charlie's record in May was 1-4. His only win was against Washington on May 23rd. He started 6 games in May. On May 6th, his no decision game, the Pirates won that game against the Giants.

His best month was June. He was 3-2. Charlie started 5 games that month.

In July, he started 6 games with a 1-1 record. The other 4 games were no decision games. The Pirates won 2 games and the Pirates lost 2 of those games.

Charlie was just so-so the entire season...May, July, and August being "not very good at all" (I'm being kind with my words).

Using wins to rate a pitcher's quality over the course of a season is crazy. Using them over the course of a month? Words fail me. Charlie's miserable 1-4 May came along with a 2.64 ERA. It was his best month of the year. The hitters only gave him 14 runs to work with in his six starts. In three of them he go 0, 1 and runs of support.