Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ok, what do we do with Martin?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:37 pm 

First off, even though we have lost 7 straight and are digging ourselves in a bigger hole with each passing night, I still think we have a run at a wild card... But a big question looms if we are more than 4 or 5 games out by august 30th and that is, what do we do with Russell Martin.

1. Ride out the season with him and see what happens both in terms of record and free agency

2. Trade him and get something for him bc he is as good as gone this offseason, and we are not going anywhere with him this year anyway.

I would love to keep him bc I think he is as important as anyone on the team, but I think he had priced himself out of town unfortunately, so if we are out of it in a few weeks, make a trade and get something good, if nothing if good value is offered than keep him. But there are teams that would kill for him (dodgers angels, orioles -no weiters-)

Post subject: Re: Ok, what do we do with Martin?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:12 pm 

batterup wrote:
First off, even though we have lost 7 straight and are digging ourselves in a bigger hole with each passing night, I still think we have a run at a wild card... But a big question looms if we are more than 4 or 5 games out by august 30th and that is, what do we do with Russell Martin.

1. Ride out the season with him and see what happens both in terms of record and free agency

2. Trade him and get something for him bc he is as good as gone this offseason, and we are not going anywhere with him this year anyway.

I would love to keep him bc I think he is as important as anyone on the team, but I think he had priced himself out of town unfortunately, so if we are out of it in a few weeks, make a trade and get something good, if nothing if good value is offered than keep him. But there are teams that would kill for him (dodgers angels, orioles -no weiters-)

The draft pick they'd get by tendering him is probably worth a lot more than any return they'd get for him in a deal at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:33 pm 

He'd never make it through waivers, so it would be a deal between the Pirates and whatever team claims him, which lessens the options.

The Pirates should extend a qualifying offer to Martin in the off-season and try to sign him to a 3-year deal. I'd max out at 3 years and $45 million.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:49 pm 

There's no way you'd trade him now even if you could. We're still in the hunt here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:14 pm 

I don't think he will sign with the Bucs…more money and better teams out there with better chances to win…. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:56 pm 

Sign him...make him an offer he can't refuse.

You would think, after all of these years of having terrible Catchers, the Pirates would do anything to sign this guy. He is such a valuable player on this Pirate team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
Sign him...make him an offer he can't refuse.

You would think, after all of these years of having terrible Catchers, the Pirates would do anything to sign this guy. He is such a valuable player on this Pirate team.

What is an offer that he can't refuse?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:26 am 

I just felt like saying that Sisy! :) "Tongue in Cheek"...so to speak.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

sisyphus wrote:

What is an offer that he can't refuse?[/quote]

11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 am 

Beat me to it, IA. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:28 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I just felt like saying that Sisy! :) "Tongue in Cheek"...so to speak.

It's always a good thing to work a Godfather quote into the conversation. So a big bada-boom, bada-bing to you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:32 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
He'd never make it through waivers, so it would be a deal between the Pirates and whatever team claims him, which lessens the options.

The Pirates should extend a qualifying offer to Martin in the off-season and try to sign him to a 3-year deal. I'd max out at 3 years and $45 million.

I agree with this figure. However, in order for the pirates to really contend for him they may have to give him a vesting option for a 4th year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 am 

rellimie wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I agree with this figure. However, in order for the pirates to really contend for him they may have to give him a vesting option for a 4th year.

Four years is at least one too many. That said, somebody is probably going to give it to him, at $15M per or more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:56 am 

sisyphus wrote:
rellimie wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Four years is at least one too many. That said, somebody is probably going to give it to him, at $15M per or more.

That's why I said it would have to be a vesting option. If he meets the requirements the. It's more than likely he is still producing in yer 4 and while he may be slightly over paid by then at least it isn't a waste.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:33 pm 

I have an idea ... maybe get these guys involved?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:00 am 

rellimie wrote:
That's why I said it would have to be a vesting option. If he meets the requirements the. It's more than likely he is still producing in yer 4 and while he may be slightly over paid by then at least it isn't a waste.

Why would he take three with an option when somebody is likely to offer him four guaranteed?

Three with a team option is the most they should go.