Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If pirates collapse again?..
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm 

And finish less than 500, do you think hurdle will be gone?

Post subject: Re: If pirates collapse again?..
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:21 pm 

No. Though it would say something -- not good -- about the FO if he was released.

Hurdle cannot be blamed for Pedro's throwing woes, which unfortunately are darkly comic. Hurdle's not at fault for the injury crisis that's hit us -- Cutch had been something of an iron man and Walker was always going to spend some time on the DL. Nor can he be blamed for the delay in bringing Polanco up, though I don't think we've suffered any as a result of him having spent an extra month in the minors. And the bullpen implosion can't be laid at his feet either, given that it seems to have affected everyone.

No, this front office seems to have been planning for a regression season, and they seem to have gotten it. I don't think Hurdle's got much to do with it...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:35 pm 

If the bullpen performs at a nominal level, he is being considered NL Manager of the Year, again!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
And finish less than 500, do you think hurdle will be gone?

Hell no. It's been all about injuries and a weak bullpen, and I don't see how you can blame Hurdle for either.

Don't see them collapsing, though. They're going to be adding a ton of talent to the club in the next week or two. Cutch, Mercer and Cole is a lot more than any team picked up at the trade deadline. Mercer's return means no more Pedro at third. Cutch and Barmes mean no more Nix and Martinez (at least I hope so). Those guys will provide a huge boost.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:56 pm 

val wrote:
Nor can he be blamed for the delay in bringing Polanco up, though I don't think we've suffered any as a result of him having spent an extra month in the minors

You're a master of understatement. Polanco hasn't hit much better than Tabata did, and he's hit way, way worse than Snider. It looks pretty obvious to me that he had no business in the majors before his callup, and frankly, he still doesn't look ready except in short spurts separated by long slumps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
val wrote:
Nor can he be blamed for the delay in bringing Polanco up, though I don't think we've suffered any as a result of him having spent an extra month in the minors

You're a master of understatement. Polanco hasn't hit much better than Tabata did, and he's hit way, way worse than Snider. It looks pretty obvious to me that he had no business in the majors before his callup, and frankly, he still doesn't look ready except in short spurts separated by long slumps.

Yeah . . . the voices screaming about #freepolanco and ridiculing the notion that Polanco may still have things to work on aren't particularly loud these days.

His speed on the bases is as advertised. I expected his bat to be inconsistent. Not unexpected from a rookie with little AAA experience. I'm not disappointed with that. His defense isn't anywhere close to what I expected. He takes poor routes. His jumps on the ball haven't been great. He's been hesitant at times. On the other hand, his arm is marvelous.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:24 pm 

I have zero complaints or worries about Polanco.

Growing pains are all I've seen. This kid is mega talented and will make some rookie mistakes.

He'll be worshiped before it's all said and done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:59 pm 

No.

Leave the hyperbole to poets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:18 pm 

No.

Failing this year to be honest is completely understandable. Just look at tonights lineup:

McCutchen Out
Walker just coming back from another injury
Pedro at 1st for the first time ever and has struggled all season
Harrison at SS, his worst position
Morel at 3B, no comment necessary
Snider in LF, although hitting really well is not a true starter
Worley on the mound, a surprise but not exactly an established ace and not Cole
Bullpen has been disappointing in general

The line up has been like this for the better part of the month.

You could question the depth of the team but not team has that much depth. Not making excuses but lets call a spade a spade.....a lot of bad luck this year out of the FO and Hurdles control.

You could try to get Huntington for the lack of moves but if you look at the players that moved at the deadline, the Pirates didn't have that type of currency.

You could try and get Huntington for the lack of free agent signings but look at the off season signings and tell me who could have helped.

All in all I am happy just to be where we are based on all the struggles this team has had this season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:43 pm 

They just don't have quality depth….. 8-) 8-)