Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BP Projects 64 Wins
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:55 pm 

64 Wins. Last place in the Central, in fact, the worst record in baseball. 33 games out. And something about PNC attacked by locusts.

Post subject: Re: BP Projects 64 Wins
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:58 pm 

Sounds about right. Might surprise and win 68 though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:13 pm 

Kingston wrote:
64 Wins. Last place in the Central, in fact, the worst record in baseball. 33 games out. And something about PNC attacked by locusts.

That projection is just wrong. They need a better source and maybe they might not have such a negative outlook

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08056/860334-63.stm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:05 pm 

I'd pencilled them in for 67. Until they sign Manny that is.

So after Bob Nutting's very public statement about expected improvement and accountability, who would get the heave-ho after a 64-win season? Russell? NH? Coonelly? The whole bunch? Or was he talking about unquantified improvement in individual performance, organizational depth, player development, etc?

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:10 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BP...

zm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
I'd pencilled them in for 67. Until they sign Manny that is.

So after Bob Nutting's very public statement about expected improvement and accountability, who would get the heave-ho after a 64-win season? Russell? NH? Coonelly? The whole bunch? Or was he talking about unquantified improvement in individual performance, organizational depth, player development, etc?

Anyone thinking that any management team could have turned this organization into a winner within 1 year is delusional. I'm hoping that Nutting is thinking of the latter, although those things mentioned can certainly be quantified.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:14 pm 

Willton wrote:
Anyone thinking that any management team could have turned this organization into a winner within 1 year is delusional. I'm hoping that Nutting is thinking of the latter, although those things mentioned can certainly be quantified.

I know that. What I meant is that no one has quantified them as signifiers of success for this team this season. (At least that we know of.) And if the Pirates take a step back in the W-L column — a very real possibility — Nutting's comments will be tossed back in his face ad nauseum.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:23 pm 

I wish Nutting would stop giving broadcast interviews. Easier to buy into his pep talks when theyre in print. Its just his manner. I cant help imagining that the moment the camera gets turned off he breaks out laughing and then buys a beer for everyone to thank them for playing along.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:48 pm 

2 in a half days of no power but im baaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
I do have to agree with everybody here.I think we will win between 64 and 67 games.I can see us winning less than 60 but no more than 70

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:22 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
2 in a half days of no power

2 and a half days? Thats nuthin. 162 days of no power is right around the corner.

Welcome back. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:08 pm 

estrago wrote:
Kingston wrote:

That projection is just wrong. They need a better source and maybe they might not have such a negative outlook

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08056/860334-63.stm

Right on Estrago. This team wins 60 games max. Helllloooooo!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:34 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
2 in a half days of no power

2 and a half days? Thats nuthin. 162 days of no power is right around the corner.

If only we had signed Adam Dunn.... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:43 pm 

Puggy wrote:
Right on Estrago. This team wins 60 games max. Helllloooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Real pisser ain't it? Here's somthing that'll blow your mind. Sit down before reading any further.......

OK, here goes. 60 games is roughly 690 runs scored against 900 runs allowed using the pythagorean expectation. If we had been able to land a Dunn or ManRam I'm guessing the oportunity cost of not playing him over say Nyjer Morgan or Eddie Prasch is about 70 runs. Pump those 70 runs into the PE and we are now looking at 67 wins, which just happens to be the exact number of games they won last year!

Just think we were only $10-$20 million away from being the same team we were last year.

Hellllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:55 am 

The Nuttings won't fire NH or Coondog as long as they keep costs down. As long as the money keeps rolling in and there are no major gaffes, their jobs will be safe no matter how many games are won or lost. If there is another sizeable fan revolt that stirs up the local and national press and makes the Pirates a bigger laughingstock than they already are, all bets are off because they are much more concerned about the way things look rather than the way things actually are. That's just my opinion. The comments made are not based on fact....just opinion.....OK?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:06 am 

pbd wrote:
The Nuttings won't fire NH or Coondog as long as they keep costs down. As long as the money keeps rolling in and there are no major gaffes, their jobs will be safe no matter how many games are won or lost. If there is another sizeable fan revolt that stirs up the local and national press and makes the Pirates a bigger laughingstock than they already are, all bets are off because they are much more concerned about the way things look rather than the way things actually are. That's just my opinion. The comments made are not based on fact....just opinion.....OK?

PBD, if you had been on the Hindenburg or the Titanic, both conveyances would have provided many years of quality service. You have more lives than a cat.

Also, your incessant need for approval on this board, as evidenced by the number of times you keep posting here, despite your well documented disdain for us, stems from the belief that others can validate your own personal worth. If you are liked, you are OK, if not, you are not OK.

Moving on.

Do you really believe that the Pirates can achieve a greater degree of laughingstock? I for one am of the opinion that they can't. And that is one reason why I believe that this organization needs to be blown up and rebuilt through the minor league system. I believe that you and I agree on the blowing up part, we just can't seem to define what exactly that concept entails.

You want to increase payroll to $70 million so that we can win 70 games. I'm content to lose 65 games and save $10 or $15 million. If you want to believe that money is being pocketed by Nutball, go right ahead, that's your opinion. I've already put forth my opinion(s) as to why that may not be the case, although you'll need to wade through 80+ pages of postings to find it.

So in two or three years, when this pissing contest is finally over, we'll know for sure if NH and Co. were the right people for the job. If they weren't I am certain you'll be back under the monicker "ParkBeeDay" (or some such) gloating for all the world to hear. If I'm "right", I'll buy you a beer at PNC and share in the euphoria of winning baseball.