Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bullpen and Offense
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:47 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
And so the Pirates lose again...failure of the erratic Bullpen to hold on to a tie or tight lead late in the game and yes failure of the offense to add on runs with runners in scoring position AFTER they had scored to take a lead.

This game is to me is a microcosm of what is one of if the biggest problems with this Pirate team this year.

Oh well, after twenty years of losing, this is still fun. Meaningful games late in the year. I just hope these games are still meaningful in September.

And I still believe the Pirates are a good Wild Card team. I hope they can make it to the playoffs!

GO BUCS!

Tough, tough loss. I'm not the roller coaster type who dies with every loss, but five in a row is about all I can take without despair starting to creep in. Here's hoping that the bullpen used up all of the gasoline that they've been trying to use as a fire extinguisher. And please, enough of Pedro at third this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:40 am 

This team is just good right now. They are losing because they have dogshit like Jayson Nix soaking up precious at-bats.

Further, the bullpen has flat-out blown at least 6 games where the Pirates were leading after 7 innings.

Three epic Watson meltdowns in the 8th inning, two with 3-run leads and the 3rd with a 2-run lead, the two gag-jobs by Grilli against Roidboy, and tonight's Melancon choke job.

Six games they win with average relief pitching. In those six gagathons, the bullpen gave the team:

5 2/3 IP, 15 H, 12 earned runs, 2 BB, 6 K's, 19.06 ERA, 3.00 WHIP.

Those losses mean that the team is not going to make the playoffs. They just are not good enough. Yes, I get that the team is a shell of itself with Cutch on the DL and Walker limited by a bad back, but the team is what it is - a horrible road team with a highly questionable bullpen and a terrible bottom of the order due to injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:55 am 

Bucfan wrote:

Those losses mean that the team is not going to make the playoffs. .

Make the playoffs? I'll take even money they are no better than .500 come next Monday morning. Maybe squeak out one against the Braves before penciling in their three game sweep in Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:57 am 

And that was my 1,500th post! Damn! Of all the miserable things to have it occur on. :-(