Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mental vs Physical
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:09 am 

buccosfan77 wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
I guess Stolmy is good for discussion, he's with the big club based on NH's assessment but that's the problem, it's a bad assessment. Or maybe he's the best option they have (that's sad).

He's out of options. That's why he's up. He's 24, has a 95 MPH fastball and what's regarded as a plus slider, so the chances of getting him down to the minors is nil.

They're basically treating him like a Rule 5 pick. He's a starter so they aren't treating him like a reliever....but he's not a starter either. They're just trying to make it through the year without losing him.

In other words, there's no depth in the system with pitching that is ready to replace him. It doesn't matter, the pitching got them there last year. This year it's more like a goldfish tank.

I think they just don't want to lose a guy who has mid-rotation starter upside. Maybe that does speak to the depth, but I don't really think those guys grow on trees. Nick Kingham is regarded as a mid-rotation arm and is a consensus Top 50 prospect, for example.

I think they have plenty of other options but roster management matters too and you can't cut a guy with that much upside just because you need a better 13th man on the pitching staff.

He's a mop-up guy, who cares?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:14 am 

The mop up guy, currently, is a future mid rotation starter? We're really stretching it here. I'm done slobbering over this dude. Opinions are like.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:30 am 

buccosfan77 wrote:
The mop up guy, currently, is a future mid rotation starter? We're really stretching it here. I'm done slobbering over this dude. Opinions are like.....

He only had 14 starts at the AAA level in his career, with solid results. At least let him develop some. There aren't a lot of guys in the system with his stuff, it's significantly better than somebody like Worley or Locke or Cumpton (all of whom I like but don't think they're much better than back of the rotation arms).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:36 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:

He only had 14 starts at the AAA level in his career, with solid results. At least let him develop some. There aren't a lot of guys in the system with his stuff, it's significantly better than somebody like Worley or Locke or Cumpton (all of whom I like but don't think they're much better than back of the rotation arms).

Is there a possible route for Stolmy to start 2015 in AAA?

He clearly needs some time to refine his abilities.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:42 am 

Maybe if they get a feeling they can slip him through waivers. But, given the DL stint, that doesn't appear to be the case. Perhaps he'll need to rehab the injury and he closes the year out starting for Indy.

I think they do need to define his role, though. If he's a starter then get him on a routine. If he's s reliever then don't jerk him around and let him get thrown in there on a consistent basis. They sort of just hung him out to dry this year. Which I get, they do seem to still like him as a starter and there weren't rotation spots available heading into the year. But they can't hide him again next year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:40 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Pimental...Charlie Morton...maybe they have the skills...the stuff...but do they have the mental toughness?.

Seriously? You are lumping Pimental and Morton together!?!! Look, Morton isn't Cy Young but he is perfectly fine in his role as a #3 starter. A 3.62 ERA (FIP of 3.77), WHIP of around 1.2, only 9 HR allowed in 150 innings.

I realize that is just your opinion, but dude...be somewhat reasonable with your comparisons!

When the hell did someone claim Morton to be number 3 quality? Been trying to figure this out. He's league average #3 starter or he's a pirate #3 starter?

A league average starter is the precise definition of a number 3 starter.