Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Not Now?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:30 am 

I just refuse to believe that Pedro couldn't play a serviceable first base right now. I mean, what would he have to learn? How to scoop a ball out of the dirt? Feeding the pitcher underhand on a grounder? His glove/hand-eye coordination is very good. He would cost us fewer runs playing first without experience than third right now, and we need the bat in there with Cutch out.

Post subject: Re: Why Not Now?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:15 pm 

Every position comes with assignments and responsibilities, first base isn't as simple as scooping a ball out of the dirt. He'll make a good first baseman, I think. But you can't throw him in the fire like that, especially while he's struggling so badly and spent 3 years learning third at an MLB level.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It happens fairly infrequently but the 3-6-1 (or 3-6-3) double play throw might just be the most difficult in baseball. I'd say the left fielder should have his head on a swivel if Pedro's on first for that action.

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:27 pm 

The fuck. Let's not act like the first baseman doesn't throw the ball. That position has to start double plays. Polanco just got gunned at home by an accurate throw. Can Pedro do that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:35 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I would think he can. As long as it is not 3b to 1b, he should be fine. I don't see any throws to start DP's being errant in this stretch.

It is the throw to 1b that is the problem.

The other is that his bat is no better than Ike's.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:52 pm 

If it's a play he doesn't have time to think about it, he is fine. First base shouldn't provide him with many of those moments. I think they could slowly start working him in at first over the next few weeks. They need his bat, but the problem is it's a pennant race and that's not the best time to "work someone in" to a new position. There are nuances with the position that will take him some time to get down(footwork around the bag being the big one). What to do with Mighty Ike if they decide to go this route???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
It happens fairly infrequently but the 3-6-1 (or 3-6-3) double play throw might just be the most difficult in baseball. I'd say the left fielder should have his head on a swivel if Pedro's on first for that action.

Yeah, I did think about that play. It's especially hard for a right handed thrower to make. I still think it would be doable on the fly. And I agree with ZM- as long is it is not the one specific throw that's in his head right now, I think he makes it without a problem. I don't think the man is dumb. He just psyches himself out with stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
If it's a play he doesn't have time to think about it, he is fine. First base shouldn't provide him with many of those moments. I think they could slowly start working him in at first over the next few weeks. They need his bat, but the problem is it's a pennant race and that's not the best time to "work someone in" to a new position. There are nuances with the position that will take him some time to get down(footwork around the bag being the big one). What to do with Mighty Ike if they decide to go this route???

Off the bench bat, defensive replacement at the end of the game. He could be a counter after Gaby pinch hits for Pedro and they bring in a righty against Gaby. Plus, there's two games where a DH is going to be needed.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:03 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:

Three letters for you- D...F...A.