Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:46 am 
 WWW  Profile

urbman21 wrote:
How do you like the trade deadline now?! That's why you trade prospects for Lester or Price, because you just don't know what could happen. Hey at least now we can call up Josh Bell to play CF! Thank God we hung on to him.... LOL

Exactly, you trade future guys to go for right now this year only and then your MVP goes down for a month. That's why you don't...wait that's your argument for???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 am 

urbman21 wrote:
How do you like the trade deadline now?! That's why you trade prospects for Lester or Price, because you just don't know what could happen. Hey at least now we can call up Josh Bell to play CF! Thank God we hung on to him.... LOL

I agree with the Ape and BB.
You give up Bell and Glasnow for Lester. You hope to get 11 starts out of Lester to guide you into the playoffs.
One week later and the only real consistent offensive threat on the team (and a player who likely skews the team's averages markedly) goes down with an injury.
Without the top offensive player, this team's chances of qualifying for playoffs is deeply diminished.

You just gave up Bell and Glasnow for 11 starts of Lester and you watch him sign a huge contract with the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Tigers, Dodgers or some other team with massive amounts of local television revenue.

Yeah . . . I'm horrifically disappointed that Cutch went down with an injury but ecstatic that NH didn't sell off a couple of the club's top prospects for a rental player. Ecstatic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
urbman21 wrote:

Exactly, you trade future guys to go for right now this year only and then your MVP goes down for a month. That's why you don't...wait that's your argument for???

I think he wants Lester or Price to play center. Damn that Neil Huntington!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:56 am 

There is no 'right now' fix for losing an Andrew McCutchen, you know. We probably have the deepest system in the MLB when it comes to outfielders, but you can't just plug in losing an MVP. Trading guys with McCutchen-ish upside for 'now' solutions isn't how a team in our spot stays successful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:14 am 
 WWW  Profile

NEWS FLASH...

The national media has completely written off the 2014 Pittsburgh Pirates. For some odd reason my excitement for this season just ramped up. Let's see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat.

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 am 

Leway512 wrote:
There is no 'right now' fix for losing an Andrew McCutchen, you know. We probably have the deepest system in the MLB when it comes to outfielders, but you can't just plug in losing an MVP. Trading guys with McCutchen-ish upside for 'now' solutions isn't how a team in our spot stays successful.

Exactly. There's no fix ever for losing an Andrew McCutchen. Just have to hope the team can persevere and scratch out some wins in the meantime.

Some fans will be happy in 2021 or so when NH sells the guys everyone wanted to trade in 2014 for boatloads of young talent. The rest will never be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
NEWS FLASH...

The national media has completely written off the 2014 Pittsburgh Pirates. For some odd reason my excitement for this season just ramped up. Let's see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat.

I updated it a bit, the best I could in 5 minutes.

Attachment:
seligclintyouguyssuckeditsmaller.jpg
seligclintyouguyssuckeditsmaller.jpg [ 97.44 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:38 pm 

Kovacevic said some source told him it's NOT an oblique, though he didn't elaborate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
Kovacevic said some source told him it's NOT an oblique, though he didn't elaborate.

Oh no, its an oblique and he's going to be out a month. Everyone says so, didn't you hear?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:19 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
NEWS FLASH...

Points for the reference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:32 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I'd be very interested in getting an opinion from a kinesiologist on the issue of whether there was any correlation between the oblique strain and the HBP.

Was there a direct correlation? Not likely. Certainly not like the pitch which directly resulted in Goldschmidt's fracture.

However, it is not unusual for a player to take a day or two after experiencing a muscle injury - just to let it calm down.

Did McCutchen experience the injury when he swung the bat? Sure looks that way. But, was his swing in any way altered because of pain/discomfort in his mid to lower back after the HBP? It need not necessarily be a massive alteration. If different muscles are used to compensate for an injury to other muscles, injuries can occur.

I don't know the answer and I won't pretend to be Keith Law and be an expert on everything. I'm simply throwing out there that the body is a complex set of tissues and bones (muscles, tendons, cartilage) and it does not necessarily follow that a massive bruise in the middle of one's back is wholly unrelated to an oblique muscle strain experienced the next day when a player is engaged in a torsional exercise. And, let's face it, Cutch was likely amped up in that inning when he came to the plate. There was not a whole lot of "holding back" in those swings.

Given yesterday's off-day ... in hindsight .... it may have been the better call to let Cutch have the day off. That being written, there's no way in hell that Cutch would have sat out Sunday. He would have killed Hurdle.

My guess is that his swing was altered, but because of the location of the pitch, not any injury. Down and away, and I'm not sure that it was in the strike zone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:36 pm 

Leway512 wrote:

I actually saw some idiot at one of the newspapers blaming Huntington for not have enough depth.

Because, you know, every team has an MVP candidate on the bench or at AAA, just in case your every day MVP candidate gets hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:54 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

I actually saw some idiot at one of the newspapers blaming Huntington for not have enough depth.

Because, you know, every team has an MVP candidate on the bench or at AAA, just in case your every day MVP candidate gets hurt.

Yeah, like the Cards have a fill-in for Molina, the Brewers can replace Braun, the Diamondbacks have someone ready for Goldschmidt, or the Rockies don't have a plan for Tulo. Oh wait, the Rockies should know what to do by now...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:16 pm 

Speaking of Tulo, when he comes back, I wonder if trade talks will reignite?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:47 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

That newspaper comment is measured thus:

sisy's response, meanwhile:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Corsair wrote:
After you get fired by the D-Bags, I hope you never work in baseball again, you POS!

... again, McCutchen injured himself on a swing yesterday, it is not because of the HBP.

Sounds like he was hurt during the hbp. 11th rib closest to vertebrae, cartilage damage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:01 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Sounds like he was hurt during the hbp. 11th rib closest to vertebrae, cartilage damage.

Yep, I was reporting on the initial report that came out that it was an oblique injury on the swing. New, correct info just came out about an hour ago. Obviously it was hard not to wonder if there was a correlation between the HBP the day before, but when I saw someone calling Gibson a "piece of shit" over it I just thought I'd point out that at the time there was something different reported.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:25 pm 

TheShark wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:

Yep, I was reporting on the initial report that came out that it was an oblique injury on the swing. New, correct info just came out about an hour ago. Obviously it was hard not to wonder if there was a correlation between the HBP the day before, but when I saw someone calling Gibson a "piece of shit" over it I just thought I'd point out that at the time there was something different reported.

I wasn't trying to correct you. Just updating. Though all along I thought it was related, oblique or not. I feared he was favoring soreness in that location resulting in muscle damage. I blame Frito for throwing at their star. Now Cutch is shelved. I want Grilli back.