Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2285
Location: Naples, FL
urbman21 wrote:
How do you like the trade deadline now?! That's why you trade prospects for Lester or Price, because you just don't know what could happen. Hey at least now we can call up Josh Bell to play CF! Thank God we hung on to him.... LOL



Exactly, you trade future guys to go for right now this year only and then your MVP goes down for a month. That's why you don't...wait that's your argument for???

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5902
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
urbman21 wrote:
How do you like the trade deadline now?! That's why you trade prospects for Lester or Price, because you just don't know what could happen. Hey at least now we can call up Josh Bell to play CF! Thank God we hung on to him.... LOL


I agree with the Ape and BB.
You give up Bell and Glasnow for Lester. You hope to get 11 starts out of Lester to guide you into the playoffs.
One week later and the only real consistent offensive threat on the team (and a player who likely skews the team's averages markedly) goes down with an injury.
Without the top offensive player, this team's chances of qualifying for playoffs is deeply diminished.

You just gave up Bell and Glasnow for 11 starts of Lester and you watch him sign a huge contract with the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Tigers, Dodgers or some other team with massive amounts of local television revenue.

Yeah . . . I'm horrifically disappointed that Cutch went down with an injury but ecstatic that NH didn't sell off a couple of the club's top prospects for a rental player. Ecstatic.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3708
Location: Economy, PA
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
urbman21 wrote:
How do you like the trade deadline now?! That's why you trade prospects for Lester or Price, because you just don't know what could happen. Hey at least now we can call up Josh Bell to play CF! Thank God we hung on to him.... LOL



Exactly, you trade future guys to go for right now this year only and then your MVP goes down for a month. That's why you don't...wait that's your argument for???


I think he wants Lester or Price to play center. Damn that Neil Huntington!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:56 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 am
Posts: 273
There is no 'right now' fix for losing an Andrew McCutchen, you know. We probably have the deepest system in the MLB when it comes to outfielders, but you can't just plug in losing an MVP. Trading guys with McCutchen-ish upside for 'now' solutions isn't how a team in our spot stays successful.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 5012
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
NEWS FLASH...

The national media has completely written off the 2014 Pittsburgh Pirates. For some odd reason my excitement for this season just ramped up. Let's see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat.

Image

_________________
Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 950
Location: Rochester, New York
Leway512 wrote:
There is no 'right now' fix for losing an Andrew McCutchen, you know. We probably have the deepest system in the MLB when it comes to outfielders, but you can't just plug in losing an MVP. Trading guys with McCutchen-ish upside for 'now' solutions isn't how a team in our spot stays successful.


Exactly. There's no fix ever for losing an Andrew McCutchen. Just have to hope the team can persevere and scratch out some wins in the meantime.

Some fans will be happy in 2021 or so when NH sells the guys everyone wanted to trade in 2014 for boatloads of young talent. The rest will never be happy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7311
IA Pirate wrote:
NEWS FLASH...

The national media has completely written off the 2014 Pittsburgh Pirates. For some odd reason my excitement for this season just ramped up. Let's see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat.

Image


I updated it a bit, the best I could in 5 minutes.

Attachment:
seligclintyouguyssuckeditsmaller.jpg
seligclintyouguyssuckeditsmaller.jpg [ 97.44 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 950
Location: Rochester, New York
Kovacevic said some source told him it's NOT an oblique, though he didn't elaborate.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3708
Location: Economy, PA
JollyRoger wrote:
Kovacevic said some source told him it's NOT an oblique, though he didn't elaborate.


Oh no, its an oblique and he's going to be out a month. Everyone says so, didn't you hear?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5221
Location: Washington, DC
IA Pirate wrote:
NEWS FLASH...

The national media has completely written off the 2014 Pittsburgh Pirates. For some odd reason my excitement for this season just ramped up. Let's see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat.

Image


Points for the reference.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5558
Location: Pittsburgh
No. 9 wrote:
I'd be very interested in getting an opinion from a kinesiologist on the issue of whether there was any correlation between the oblique strain and the HBP.

Was there a direct correlation? Not likely. Certainly not like the pitch which directly resulted in Goldschmidt's fracture.

However, it is not unusual for a player to take a day or two after experiencing a muscle injury - just to let it calm down.

Did McCutchen experience the injury when he swung the bat? Sure looks that way. But, was his swing in any way altered because of pain/discomfort in his mid to lower back after the HBP? It need not necessarily be a massive alteration. If different muscles are used to compensate for an injury to other muscles, injuries can occur.

I don't know the answer and I won't pretend to be Keith Law and be an expert on everything. I'm simply throwing out there that the body is a complex set of tissues and bones (muscles, tendons, cartilage) and it does not necessarily follow that a massive bruise in the middle of one's back is wholly unrelated to an oblique muscle strain experienced the next day when a player is engaged in a torsional exercise. And, let's face it, Cutch was likely amped up in that inning when he came to the plate. There was not a whole lot of "holding back" in those swings.

Given yesterday's off-day ... in hindsight .... it may have been the better call to let Cutch have the day off. That being written, there's no way in hell that Cutch would have sat out Sunday. He would have killed Hurdle.

My guess is that his swing was altered, but because of the location of the pitch, not any injury. Down and away, and I'm not sure that it was in the strike zone.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5558
Location: Pittsburgh
Leway512 wrote:
There is no 'right now' fix for losing an Andrew McCutchen, you know. We probably have the deepest system in the MLB when it comes to outfielders, but you can't just plug in losing an MVP. Trading guys with McCutchen-ish upside for 'now' solutions isn't how a team in our spot stays successful.

I actually saw some idiot at one of the newspapers blaming Huntington for not have enough depth.

Because, you know, every team has an MVP candidate on the bench or at AAA, just in case your every day MVP candidate gets hurt.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:54 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1462
Location: Eastern Shore
sisyphus wrote:
Leway512 wrote:
There is no 'right now' fix for losing an Andrew McCutchen, you know. We probably have the deepest system in the MLB when it comes to outfielders, but you can't just plug in losing an MVP. Trading guys with McCutchen-ish upside for 'now' solutions isn't how a team in our spot stays successful.

I actually saw some idiot at one of the newspapers blaming Huntington for not have enough depth.

Because, you know, every team has an MVP candidate on the bench or at AAA, just in case your every day MVP candidate gets hurt.

Yeah, like the Cards have a fill-in for Molina, the Brewers can replace Braun, the Diamondbacks have someone ready for Goldschmidt, or the Rockies don't have a plan for Tulo. Oh wait, the Rockies should know what to do by now...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2619
Speaking of Tulo, when he comes back, I wonder if trade talks will reignite?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
sisyphus wrote:
I actually saw some idiot at one of the newspapers blaming Huntington for not have enough depth.

Because, you know, every team has an MVP candidate on the bench or at AAA, just in case your every day MVP candidate gets hurt.

That newspaper comment is measured thus:

Image

sisy's response, meanwhile:

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2129
TheShark wrote:
Corsair wrote:
After you get fired by the D-Bags, I hope you never work in baseball again, you POS!


... again, McCutchen injured himself on a swing yesterday, it is not because of the HBP.


Sounds like he was hurt during the hbp. 11th rib closest to vertebrae, cartilage damage.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
buccosfan77 wrote:
Sounds like he was hurt during the hbp. 11th rib closest to vertebrae, cartilage damage.


Yep, I was reporting on the initial report that came out that it was an oblique injury on the swing. New, correct info just came out about an hour ago. Obviously it was hard not to wonder if there was a correlation between the HBP the day before, but when I saw someone calling Gibson a "piece of shit" over it I just thought I'd point out that at the time there was something different reported.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cutch DL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2129
TheShark wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
Sounds like he was hurt during the hbp. 11th rib closest to vertebrae, cartilage damage.


Yep, I was reporting on the initial report that came out that it was an oblique injury on the swing. New, correct info just came out about an hour ago. Obviously it was hard not to wonder if there was a correlation between the HBP the day before, but when I saw someone calling Gibson a "piece of shit" over it I just thought I'd point out that at the time there was something different reported.


I wasn't trying to correct you. Just updating. Though all along I thought it was related, oblique or not. I feared he was favoring soreness in that location resulting in muscle damage. I blame Frito for throwing at their star. Now Cutch is shelved. I want Grilli back.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits