Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Batting practice…..
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:14 pm 

I had forgotten how much fun it is to watch batting practice. My co teacher and I went yesterday and he wanted to get there early to get the zombie bobble head (which was pretty cool actually). I sat in about the 10th row above the Bucs dugout and saw the entire show. Some impressive shots but the most impressive of all was Cutch. He hit one going the other way into the table area in right center field and followed with one to left center field into the corresponding table area on the other side of the batter's eye. I highly recommend a cold malt beverage and a return to BP for any fan…. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post subject: Re: Batting practice…..
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:20 pm 

Only time I've seen BP was before the All Star in Pittsburgh. Was fun watching Ichiro launch bomb after bomb over the Clemente Wall, and then watching Freddie Sanchez serve Texas Leaguer after Texas Leaguer to short RF.

For today, I'd rather watch Alvarez warm up with throws to 1B.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:33 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I had forgotten how much fun it is to watch batting practice. My co teacher and I went yesterday and he wanted to get there early to get the zombie bobble head (which was pretty cool actually). I sat in about the 10th row above the Bucs dugout and saw the entire show. Some impressive shots but the most impressive of all was Cutch. He hit one going the other way into the table area in right center field and followed with one to left center field into the corresponding table area on the other side of the batter's eye. I highly recommend a cold malt beverage and a return to BP for any fan…. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

That's one of the reasons why I like going to games WITHOUT my wife (who thinks that games are too long) and with "die hard" baseball fans. I have no problem sitting in the stands for an extra 90 minutes to 2 hours so that I can watch BP. A simple pleasure. That, and of course, the mound game. Another simple pleasure.

Here's another fun game that I've played with friends at games.
Take a cup. Everyone throws in $1. One person starts with the cup. If the batter does something to improve his batting average, you get to keep all the money in the cup. Then everyone throws in another $1 and you start again. If the batter does something which makes his batting average worse, you put in $1 and pass the cup to the next person. And, yes, that includes a fielding error. If the batter does something with no impact on his batting average, you pass the cup but you don't have to add $1. Its a great game when you are with people who may only be passable baseball fans. It keeps everyone's interest. A twist to the game which incorporates the mound game. If you are holding the cup and your batter makes an out on the last out of an inning but the ball ends up on the mound, you still have to add $1 but you get to keep the cup for the next batter; you don't pass the cup.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:36 pm 

Pedro was taking extra work yesterday too. Made every throw perfectly. Poor guy and not an easy choice for the manager either….1B here he comes….could be a blessing in disguise as far as offensively…. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:38 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Pedro was taking extra work yesterday too. Made every throw perfectly. Poor guy and not an easy choice for the manager either….1B here he comes….could be a blessing in disguise as far as offensively…. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Those "in game" demons are strong. Need someone to perform an exorcism.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:43 pm 

Agree with watching BP. Snider and Davis were hammering in BP in San Francisco ... In the game, Davis did not hit one out of the infield, but Snider hit a 2-run HR.

As to Pedro - he cannot play 3B. It is that simple. He has already cost the team 2-3 games with his errors. The Pirates are 1 1/2 games out of first. The time for letting a guy blow games while he "works through" his problems will be next spring, not in August and September during a pennant race.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:57 pm 

This is the worst part about living in an away team's city but not having any Pirates fans here to attend the games with. Hard to convince a Reds fan friend to get to the game a few hours early to watch the Pirates hit BP, and after doing it once I could probably never convince my girlfriend to do again. I've considered taking in some games alone just to go early to catch BP, I also love watching it live.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:54 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

That's one of the reasons why I like going to games WITHOUT my wife (who thinks that games are too long) and with "die hard" baseball fans. I have no problem sitting in the stands for an extra 90 minutes to 2 hours so that I can watch BP. A simple pleasure. That, and of course, the mound game. Another simple pleasure.

Here's another fun game that I've played with friends at games.
Take a cup. Everyone throws in $1. One person starts with the cup. If the batter does something to improve his batting average, you get to keep all the money in the cup. Then everyone throws in another $1 and you start again. If the batter does something which makes his batting average worse, you put in $1 and pass the cup to the next person. And, yes, that includes a fielding error. If the batter does something with no impact on his batting average, you pass the cup but you don't have to add $1. Its a great game when you are with people who may only be passable baseball fans. It keeps everyone's interest. A twist to the game which incorporates the mound game. If you are holding the cup and your batter makes an out on the last out of an inning but the ball ends up on the mound, you still have to add $1 but you get to keep the cup for the next batter; you don't pass the cup.

The glory days of mound ball are gone now, since players routinely toss the ball to a fan or to an umpire. But it was a lot of fun back in the old days.

Oh, and remember Gregg Jefferies? He was the Babe Ruth of mound ball. It was just uncanny how regularly he'd roll that ball right up on the mound.