Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hanson Moving to 2B
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:26 pm 

Per Tim Williams:

Quote:
“This is about increasing Alen’s versatility,” Broadway said. “We still believe he can play shortstop and believe he will play shortstop for us at some point in the future. Adding this dimension to his game will give him additional opportunity to impact our organization at the Major League level when he is ready.”

Get him ready to be a utility infielder.

Post subject: Re: Hanson Moving to 2B
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 pm 

This could also be Neal Huntington telling us that he doesn't plan on signing Neil Walker.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:36 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
This could also be Neal Huntington telling us that he doesn't plan on signing Neil Walker.

Or Neil might be going back to 3rd base very soon.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:06 pm 

Will the mod that edited my post PM me and explain why so I can avoid making whatever error it was in the future?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:02 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
Per Tim Williams:

Quote:
“This is about increasing Alen’s versatility,” Broadway said. “We still believe he can play shortstop and believe he will play shortstop for us at some point in the future. Adding this dimension to his game will give him additional opportunity to impact our organization at the Major League level when he is ready.”

Get him ready to be a utility infielder.

More like getting him ready to be a second baseman. Even if Walker is still around when Hanson gets here, he has a future at third base written all over him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:36 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Wow, let's see, the crowd that continually said "Walker doesn't hit well enough, or with enough power, to play 3b", now has him moving to 3b.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:47 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Wow, let's see, the crowd that continually said "Walker doesn't hit well enough, or with enough power, to play 3b", now has him moving to 3b.

ZM

I would tend to agree, but Walker seems to added some power. I wonder what his homerun total would be right now if he didn't have his appendectomy.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:20 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I wonder what his homerun total would be right now if he didn't have his appendectomy.

"Pffft, it shows he lacks guts."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 pm 

As the only middle infield prospect in the upper minors and a lot of potential movement in the next couple years....probably not a bad call. They should be able to get another solid 2 years out of Mercer before you worry about the natural decline most SS see.

He's 21, probably wouldn't write off a return at some point as long as he stays in shape.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:26 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

No choice, his defense is bad at second, and it's only going to get worse. He was reputed to be an outstanding defensive third baseman in the minors. And in case you didn't notice, his power and his hitting against lefties have both improved this year. In addition, the average OPS for third basemen is now all the way down to .720. If he just stays close to where he is now, he'd be an asset offensively at third. Even is he drops down to his career averages, he's still okay, as long as he can handle the defense, and I have no doubt that he could. The question is, would he be good enough to justify the size of the contract he's likely to get to keep him here? Last year I would have said no way. This year I've moved to "maybe".

Doesn't much matter either way, though. He's not likely to be around when Hanson comes up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:08 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
No choice, his defense is bad at second, and it's only going to get worse.

??????????? :o :o :o :o :o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:19 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
No choice, his defense is bad at second, and it's only going to get worse.

??????????? :o :o :o :o :o

His glove is fine, and he's really good at turning the DP. His issue is what it always has been, range. And his range isn't going to be improving as he ages.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:29 pm 

I would not portray his defense as bad just due to subpar range….there is more to it than that... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01 am 

ZelieMike wrote:

I've never heard a single person say that. There are reasons to want him to stay at 2B, such as because it's a more demanding defensive position and he has improved there over the years considering he didn't start playing there until the year he was promoted when Iwamura flopped. I've never heard anyone say they didn't want him to switch positions because he doesn't hit well enough or have enough power.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:18 pm 

The Nats did the same thing with Brandon Phillips when he came up through their system...seemed to work out okay for him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:56 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

TheShark wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

I've never heard a single person say that. There are reasons to want him to stay at 2B, such as because it's a more demanding defensive position and he has improved there over the years considering he didn't start playing there until the year he was promoted when Iwamura flopped. I've never heard anyone say they didn't want him to switch positions because he doesn't hit well enough or have enough power.

Then you haven't been reading. This was/is a common theme here about Walker since his 3b days.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:06 pm 

Well it's true - his bat plays better at 2B than 3B. The question is whether or not he can field the position respectably. So far, I think he's been OK. If he can make the team better at 3B then that's what should be done, though.

He's just less valuable at that spot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:16 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Then you haven't been reading. This was/is a common theme here about Walker since his 3b days.
ZM

In his "3B days" circa 07-09 Walker was not a good hitter. The question was if he would hit at all, not whether or not the bat was good enough to stick at a specific position. Back then those comments would be justified. People tend to forget that Walker wasn't much of a prospect by the time he was promoted to the majors. In 2008 he posted a .694 OPS in AAA. The next year he was only posting an OBP of .311 repeating the level for a third time.

So yes, I have been reading, and since Walker has became an established player in the majors, I have never once heard someone say he couldn't switch to 3B because his bat isn't good enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:30 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I would not portray his defense as bad just due to subpar range….there is more to it than that... 8-) 8-)

Not enough to make up for all the balls he doesn't get to. But his bat has more that made up for that difference, so I don't have a problem with sending him out to second.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
The Nats did the same thing with Brandon Phillips when he came up through their system...seemed to work out okay for him.

Phillips was a shortstop in the minors, and was moved to an easier defensive position. Not at all similar to Walker, who was moved to a more difficult position. He really handled it well, though. Just a great athlete.