All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good for Pedro
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:24 pm 

K dro again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:33 am 
 WWW  Profile

Clevelandsux wrote:
I still think an "assignment" in AAA would do Pedro well. To get his head back on straight without the pressure you have with the big league club.

You can't, I've read he's out of options. Some team would snap him up in a second if they tried.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:49 am 

I have pretty serious doubts that an AAA trip solely to work on defense at this point would really accomplish anything.

If it's strictly a mental matter of getting experience in low pressure vs. high pressure situations, I really think the personal emotional/ego issues that would come with being demoted as a 27-year old who has actually been an above average hitter w/ his team in a pennant race in August would outweigh any benefit. It has been reported that he has been working overtime on his throws in BP with the field staff that he actually works with on a daily basis on the majors ... I don't know that he's going to gain much more by playing some meaningless games in the minors. Especially when it's just avoiding the inevitable of a return to "high pressure" situations.

Anyway, contrary to what some believed the Nix signing indicated, Alvarez isn't likely to switch positions until next year (if at all), per Biertempfel ... http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6553148-74/alvarez-base-pirates#axzz39OqYvrGA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 pm 

There's no reason not to move him to first in the off season. Ike Davis isn't the solution. You have two guys who ARE hitting in Walker/Harrison, who can both play third base. You have a guy who has 40+ HR power, that can't make the throw to first from third. You have a first baseman who is a mediocre offensive player, at best. Seems like a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:10 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
There's no reason not to move him to first in the off season. Ike Davis isn't the solution. You have two guys who ARE hitting in Walker/Harrison, who can both play third base. You have a guy who has 40+ HR power, that can't make the throw to first from third. You have a first baseman who is a mediocre offensive player, at best. Seems like a no-brainer.

Agreed. Even if you wanted to make a defensive sub late in the game next year you still have Gaby.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Leway512 wrote:

I don't get this. There is virtually no differance in Ike's and Pedro's numbers this year. And before you give me "Pedro has potential to hit 30 - 40 HRs"... Ike does, too, and has.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:07 pm 

Ike is not that same hitter. He has 6 HR in 243 at bats this year. He barely even swings the bat, how is he going to hit 30 homeruns?

I think Pedro is the better hitter. I also think that they need to salvage some trade value out of Alvarez, and you do that better by having him in the lineup.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I wonder if Cutch going on the DL (F--K) means J-Hay gets the bulk of the time in left, therefore Pedro continues to play on a fairly regular basis.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm 

Can he play outfield?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:45 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

I don't get this. There is virtually no differance in Ike's and Pedro's numbers this year. And before you give me "Pedro has potential to hit 30 - 40 HRs"... Ike does, too, and has.

ZM

Ike hit 30 two years ago. And has since been benched by the Mets, sent down by the Mets, then dumped by the Mets. And that was during a rebuilding period where they'd be nuts to give up on a 'young power hitting first baseman' like he's supposed to be. He's come here and hit 6 HRs. Tell me, what gives you the slightest bit of optimism about Ike Davis?

Pedro, we already know has the power and has more of a major league track record than Ike Davis. It's not something that is debatable. At this point he's losing games in the field, more so than at the plate. Fresh start at a more sensible position for a man his size could be the answer.

Last edited by Leway512 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:46 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Can he play outfield?

He's the hardest worker on the team. Of course he can. Need his bat in the lineup. :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:00 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Leway512 wrote:

Ike hit 30 two years ago. And has since been benched by the Mets, sent down by the Mets, then dumped by the Mets. And that was during a rebuilding period where they'd be nuts to give up on a 'young power hitting first baseman' like he's supposed to be. He's come here and hit 6 HRs. Tell me, what gives you the slightest bit of optimism about Ike Davis?

Pedro, we already know has the power and has more of a major league track record than Ike Davis. It's not something that is debatable. At this point he's losing games in the field, more so than at the plate. Fresh start at a more sensible position for a man his size could be the answer.

He also came up after being sent down to have the highest OBP in baseball in the second half last year. His HR's and doubles have come since the ASG, for the most part. He is starting his annual second half surge.

Oh, and he can play 1st. Like I said, if you look at the numbers, they are virtually identical, and both are capable of virtually the same power. Except that Ike can hit doubles and get on base like Pedro cannot.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:04 pm 

How many runs is he driving in from standing on first base?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:07 pm 

Leway512 wrote:

Agree. This is where I think OBP is way overrated. Runner on 2nd or on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and you draw a walk. Davis seems to do that a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:44 pm 

Well maybe this is Pedro's chance to step it up with cutch out? Of course he's had many other chances to do so. I'm not holding my breathe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 pm 

urbman21 wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

Agree. This is where I think OBP is way overrated. Runner on 2nd or on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and you draw a walk. Davis seems to do that a lot.

I've wondered all season if he has taken Branson's approach too far. They are stressing working pitch count this year, and it has worked to an extent. But Davis takes soooo many good pitches. I think he is quoted in the one Inside Pirate Baseball as saying a walk is as good as a hit. Seems like he is far more intent on drawing walks than hitting the ball. I agree with you that middle of the lineup guys hitting with men on base need to hit the ball...especially when he is getting quite a few good pitches to hit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:12 pm 

urbman21 wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

OBP measures how often you don't make an out. The worst thing a hitter can do is make an out, no matter how many are on or how many outs. Runner on second and two outs, an out ends the inning, a walk continues the inning. You're in a better position now, as the only thing that has changed is the number of baserunners.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:13 pm 

Leway512 wrote:

How many innings are ending because he's standing on first base?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:15 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
urbman21 wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

I've wondered all season if he has taken Branson's approach too far. They are stressing working pitch count this year, and it has worked to an extent. But Davis takes soooo many good pitches. I think he is quoted in the one Inside Pirate Baseball as saying a walk is as good as a hit. Seems like he is far more intent on drawing walks than hitting the ball. I agree with you that middle of the lineup guys hitting with men on base need to hit the ball...especially when he is getting quite a few good pitches to hit.

You take the team full of guys who swing at ball four, I'll take the team of guys who take ball four, and your team is going to lose a heckuva lot more games than my team.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:47 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ike is not a Branson protoge. He has always been good at taking walk, and those you around long enough know that I have railed at being too passive and paying too much attention to OBP. However, in the Pedro talks, you have guys who are eerily similar in average and power. One K's way too much, the other gets on base. Which one do you want?

ZM