Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let me talk to Neal...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:16 am 

...I can solve the 1B situation! :D

*Note: this all hinges upon Marte and him being back in the lineup in LF.

1.) Move Pedro to 1B
2.) Move Josh Harrison to 3B
3.) DFA Gaby and Ike (those guys are just getting it done offensively for the Bucs)
4.) Bring up Lambo and Hague to replace Gaby and Ike. Keep them on the Bench and Platoon them with Pedro at 1B when the situation arises.

a possible line up:

3B Harrison
SS Mercer
CF Cutch
2B Walker
C Martin
LF Marte
1B Alvarez
RF Polanco

possible Bench: Snider, Lambo, Hague...Martinez and Brent Morel and Clint Barmes (when and if he comes back) can fight it out for a 5th Bench/Platoon spot...whoever makes sense and is the "best" player of the three...

Thoughts? I'm pretty sure the above scenario can't be any worse than what the Bucs are fielding now. And actually, I think the above line up proposal is much better than what the Bucs have now.

Last edited by bassoondirector on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Let me talk to Neal...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:35 am 

I like it. Except not sure how Lambo fits into equation as the 3rd guy in a platoon.

I think the move to 1b would be pretty easy for Pedro. In fact, I'd worry more about Harrison being able to play 3rd at a decent level everyday than I would Pedro at first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:49 am 

I don't understand the Gaby ire.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:19 am 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
I like it. Except not sure how Lambo fits into equation as the 3rd guy in a platoon.

I think the move to 1b would be pretty easy for Pedro. In fact, I'd worry more about Harrison being able to play 3rd at a decent level everyday than I would Pedro at first.

The long term, which I think happens in the off season; should be Pedro to 1b, Josh to 2b, and Neil to 3b.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:20 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:

We just HAVE to get Matt Hague to the majors.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:52 am 

JollyRoger wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

We just HAVE to get Matt Hague to the majors.

Plus there seems to be some kind of disconnect between what a platoon is interpreted as being and what a platoon actually is.

Not sure Lambo is quite an ideal platoon partner for Pedro.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:53 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:

The argument always goes that simply hitting LHP well isn't worthy of a roster spot ... criticism for not being a "regular".

Makes me wonder how relievers who only pitch twice a week or bench players are worthy of a spot, themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:01 pm 

I guess Gaby's numbers as a pinch hitter mean nothing: .265/.390/.500/.890 in 34 at bats (41 plate appearances)

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:10 pm 

Can't remember whether it was Sawchik or Williams that posted the numbers but I seem to recall that Gaby's numbers against LHP after April were not exactly .... ummm .... Earth-shattering. That's probably the source of the "Gaby ire." Looking past averages and looking at distribution.

The numbers were posted some time ago and Gaby may be coming around from a numbers perspective. Frankly, I have zero motivation to do the analysis.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:02 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:

Not that he's a gold glover or anything, but third is Harrison's best position by a pretty good margin.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:09 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Can't remember whether it was Sawchik or Williams that posted the numbers but I seem to recall that Gaby's numbers against LHP after April were not exactly .... ummm .... Earth-shattering. That's probably the source of the "Gaby ire." Looking past averages and looking at distribution.

The numbers were posted some time ago and Gaby may be coming around from a numbers perspective. Frankly, I have zero motivation to do the analysis.

Gaby has a .779 OPS against lefties this year. I can give you OPS vs. lefties, or OPS by month, but I can't find OPS vs. lefties by month.

A .779 OPS against lefties is a bit disappointing, given his past success against lefties, but anybody who thinks that Matt Hague could do better is delusional.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:34 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

BD has been vehemently calling for Gaby's head since last year so it's nothing new. I say this because I feel like I've done my fair bit of defending Gaby and the purpose of a platoon, etc. He always makes the argument that simply hitting lefties well isn't enough to justify a roster spot and he should be DFA'd ... criticism for not being a "regular".

Gaby is certainly having a mildly disappointing year considering he isn't quite hitting LHP at his usual elite level, and the usually solid BB rate is down. I still think a guy with a career .877 OPS against LHP is a valuable asset when your other 1B can't hit them at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:48 pm 

TheShark wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

BD has been vehemently calling for Gaby's head since last year so it's nothing new. I say this because I feel like I've done my fair bit of defending Gaby and the purpose of a platoon, etc. He always makes the argument that simply hitting lefties well isn't enough to justify a roster spot and he should be DFA'd ... criticism for not being a "regular".

Gaby is certainly having a mildly disappointing year considering he isn't quite hitting LHP at his usual elite level, and the usually solid BB rate is down. I still think a guy with a career .877 OPS against LHP is a valuable asset when your other 1B can't hit them at all.

The team as a whole isn't hitting lefties well this year.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:28 pm 

The only regulars on the team who are above league average against lefties are Cutch, Gaby, Jordy, and Harrison. Stewart has been excellent but it's a small sample and you aren't going to platoon Martin. Marte is/was trending up, but yeah they've really faltered after crushing lefties for most of last year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:55 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
The only regulars on the team who are above league average against lefties are Cutch, Gaby, Jordy, and Harrison.

I wouldn't consider Gaby a "regular"...on the 25 man Active Roster yes, but not a regular.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:06 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
The only regulars on the team who are above league average against lefties are Cutch, Gaby, Jordy, and Harrison.

I wouldn't consider Gaby a "regular"...on the 25 man Active Roster yes, but not a regular.

Of course not. Why let the pesky little fact that he sees nearly every 1B PA against lefties get in the way of a good old-fashioned agenda?

I'll amend:

In reality land, the only regulars on the team who are above league average against lefties are Cutch, Gaby, Jordy, and Harrison.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:35 pm 

Gaby has been unlucky this year against lefties. Lots of hard hit outs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:07 pm 

JFC. Sometimes this place is like a bunch of 7th grade girls.

Gaby has played in 81 games this year and appeared at the plate 202 times.
Palonco, after his call up, has played in 45 games and has appeared at the plate 205 times.

Gaby is 10th on the team in PAs.
He has 81 fewer PAs despite playing in 14 more games than Russell Martin.

Is Gaby a "regular?"
Due to the fact that he has appeared in 81 games, he is "regularly" making at least a minor appearance in a game.
Is he a "regular" player? By virtue of innings played and plate appearances, he is not a "regular."

Debate away . . . .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:18 pm 

Gaby has the most PA against lefties of anybody on the team, including Cutch. For the purpose of mentioning the stats of "regulars" against lefties there is zero debate as to whether or not he's in that discussion.

You'd probably draw the line at Marte, who has 26 more PA against lefties than the next closest guy on the list, Tabata.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:06 am 

The Pirates HAVE to move Pedro to 1B. The guy has become a liability to the Pirates at 3B with these throwing errors.

If they want his bat in the line up, Pedro has to move to 1B.

I think he would be very good playing 1B. He picks the ball very, very well and Pedro moves very, very well. He might even ENJOY playing 1B, become more relaxed overall and strike out less when he does come to the plate.

Move Harrison to 3B on a regular basis after Marte joins the line up again, and then move Pedro to 1B.

I'd rather see Pedro's bat in the line up at 1B versus the two guys who ARE NOT getting the job done offensively who are there now...Davis and Gabby...outs waiting to happen as far as I'm concerned.

Pedro is an out waiting to happen NOW, but I believe the move to 1B would solve two big issues he has...it would obviously eliminate his throwing errors...and his bat would wake up (I believe) because of the move to 1B. Pedro will become more productive offensively at 1B...more Home Runs, less K's...and more RBI's.

That's what I believe.