Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waiver Trade Candidates
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:01 pm 

Okay, now that the non-waiver trade deadline has passed without incident for the Bucs, who are the prime candidates for an August trade for them? As far as outgoing players, it will almost certainly have to be prospects who are not on our 40-man roster. We have quite a few of those whom other organizations would covet.

As to a profile of a player the Bucs can pick up, it has to be veteran who will get through waivers (8 teams for an NL player, 23 for an AL), probably due to a salary or pending free agent issue. Or it can be a minor leaguer who is not on a team's 40-man roster. That may be a way to pick up some bull pen help, if there's some guy who is just lights out at the AAA level and can't find a spot on the major league roster. Sort of like Kyle Farnsworth last year.

Then there's Andy Wilkins, a guy who is mashing for the Charlotte Knights, the White Sox AAA affiliate. He hit 12 homers in July in being named IL Player of the Month. Someone pointed out recently when I posted his stats that he is basically Andrew Lambo a year later, which is a good point. Probably better to just give Lambo a chance this month and see what he can do at first. But the point is, Wilkins is not on the White Sox's 40-man roster, so you can get a player like that w/o going through waivers.

That got me thinking about Adam Dunn. I think he's a free agent, and he's hitting okay this year. One month of his salary wouldn't be too bad.

What do you all think?

Post subject: Re: Waiver Trade Candidates
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:06 pm 

There's a lot of money attached to the Padres' Joaquin Benoit (he's due $8 million next year), so he'd have a chance to slide to the Pirates. But there are a lot of teams in need of bullpen help and any one of them could block a trade by claiming him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:58 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Okay, now that the non-waiver trade deadline has passed without incident for the Bucs, who are the prime candidates for an August trade for them? As far as outgoing players, it will almost certainly have to be prospects who are not on our 40-man roster. We have quite a few of those whom other organizations would covet.

As to a profile of a player the Bucs can pick up, it has to be veteran who will get through waivers (8 teams for an NL player, 23 for an AL), probably due to a salary or pending free agent issue. Or it can be a minor leaguer who is not on a team's 40-man roster. That may be a way to pick up some bull pen help, if there's some guy who is just lights out at the AAA level and can't find a spot on the major league roster. Sort of like Kyle Farnsworth last year.

Then there's Andy Wilkins, a guy who is mashing for the Charlotte Knights, the White Sox AAA affiliate. He hit 12 homers in July in being named IL Player of the Month. Someone pointed out recently when I posted his stats that he is basically Andrew Lambo a year later, which is a good point. Probably better to just give Lambo a chance this month and see what he can do at first. But the point is, Wilkins is not on the White Sox's 40-man roster, so you can get a player like that w/o going through waivers.

That got me thinking about Adam Dunn. I think he's a free agent, and he's hitting okay this year. One month of his salary wouldn't be too bad.

What do you all think?

Dunn at first and Pedro at third.

Shiver.

Could be the worst corner infield in baseball history.

I'd expect that bullpen help will be a priority, but anything could happen. There are guys out there who have such hideous contracts that only a serious contender would dare put in a waiver claim for them. Not many serious contenders behind the Pirates right now to block the Pirates. The Yankees and maybe Seattle might do it. I can't see K.C. or the Reds risking getting stuck with a monster contract. So we could always get surprised by the addition of a big name who is attached to a bad contract.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:33 pm 

Colon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:35 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

That would be interesting.

Of course, I shudder to think what would happen when you marry Colon to the city of the Primanti Sammich.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:47 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

Of course, I shudder to think what would happen when you marry Colon to the city of the Primanti Sammich.

ZM

Lol. Imagine the nicknames that would come from it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:51 pm 

Bring in Andre.

Attachments:
BiZ_5nnIUAAOOji.jpg_medium.jpg
BiZ_5nnIUAAOOji.jpg_medium.jpg [ 47.1 KiB | Viewed 284 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:53 pm 

Soft serve coming to PNC.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:50 pm 

Being that just about every major leaguer will be put on waivers this month, if the Rangers put Beltre on there, I say we put in a claim. See if we can put together a list of prospects.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 pm 

Please stop with the trading of prospects. Please. We have practically a full rotation of guys that would undoubtedly give us one of the hardest throwing groups in history. The position players coming through are in positions of need (SS, 1B, and C (eventually)). This team is not one piece away from the championship this year. Put away the big prospects.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:59 am 

Cole
Taillion
Heredia
Glasnow
Kingham

With a few others in the mix too, this could and I know COULD is a big word, but this could be the best staff we have ever had, no way do I risk losing it for a rental

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:21 pm 

I've never figured out how to post pictures here.

Go to this: http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/874000/ ... 5x1000.jpg