Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
ZelieMike wrote:
Its not his hitting. You can wait that out if you like.

He has Steve Blass/Sax disease. He's toast as a functioning 3b. You don't recover from that. You move position. And, the only place for Pedro to go is as a 1b, or piece of the package to get Lester and become a DH.

ZM

I wouldn't trade Pedro straight up for two months of Lester, let alone a package including Pedro.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
IA Pirate wrote:
Chuck Knoblauch had a vicious case of the yips that ended his career as well.
[

I think that his career ending had a lot more to do with three straight years of a declining OPS that ended at a .594 mark in 2002.

In a totally unrelated matter, when I Googled up Knoblach to see his stats I found that he was arrested last week for assaulting his ex-wife. She says that he banged her head into a wall, hit her in the face, and threw a humidifier at her.

A humidifier? Really?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 915
ZelieMike wrote:
Its not his hitting. You can wait that out if you like.

He has Steve Blass/Sax disease. He's toast as a functioning 3b. You don't recover from that. You move position. And, the only place for Pedro to go is as a 1b, or piece of the package to get Lester and become a DH.

ZM


I'm sorry but Pedro is not a piece of a package to get a rental.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4238
Location: Zelienople, PA
rellimie wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Its not his hitting. You can wait that out if you like.

He has Steve Blass/Sax disease. He's toast as a functioning 3b. You don't recover from that. You move position. And, the only place for Pedro to go is as a 1b, or piece of the package to get Lester and become a DH.

ZM


I'm sorry but Pedro is not a piece of a package to get a rental.


Really? Where do you play him that he doesn't hurt you?

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:25 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 pm
Posts: 328
sisyphus wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
Chuck Knoblauch had a vicious case of the yips that ended his career as well.
[

I think that his career ending had a lot more to do with three straight years of a declining OPS that ended at a .594 mark in 2002.

In a totally unrelated matter, when I Googled up Knoblach to see his stats I found that he was arrested last week for assaulting his ex-wife. She says that he banged her head into a wall, hit her in the face, and threw a humidifier at her.

A humidifier? Really?


I wonder how far he missed the mark with that thrown humidifier.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
ZelieMike wrote:
rellimie wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Its not his hitting. You can wait that out if you like.

He has Steve Blass/Sax disease. He's toast as a functioning 3b. You don't recover from that. You move position. And, the only place for Pedro to go is as a 1b, or piece of the package to get Lester and become a DH.

ZM


I'm sorry but Pedro is not a piece of a package to get a rental.


Really? Where do you play him that he doesn't hurt you?

ZM

If the Red Sox want Pedro, I'm open to accepting Lester as part of the package they pay to get him.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:06 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5634
IA Pirate wrote:
Chuck Knoblauch had a vicious case of the yips that ended his career as well.


Charles Garlic was 33 at the time and, as others have noted, his OPS nosedived as well.

Pedro will be fine once he switches leagues.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:58 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 915
rellimie wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Its not his hitting. You can wait that out if you like.

He has Steve Blass/Sax disease. He's toast as a functioning 3b. You don't recover from that. You move position. And, the only place for Pedro to go is as a 1b, or piece of the package to get Lester and become a DH.

ZM


I'm sorry but Pedro is not a piece of a package to get a rental.


I'm saying that if you trade him you better get more than a rental. He has two years of control and I feel that this season is the exception, not the rule. In the off season he makes a move to 1B.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:19 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2122
Could Pedro even pick up first base in one off season? Considering he's never played the position or hasn't in years?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 915
buccosfan77 wrote:
Could Pedro even pick up first base in one off season? Considering he's never played the position or hasn't in years?


He's a professional and according to coaches and players one of the hardest workers on the team.

The irony here is that he really worked hard on his defense at 3b this off season. His range and ability to field the ball have improved over last year. He just looks smoother fielding the ball. It just looks like whatever mechanics he worked on regarding throwing the ball he just didn't get comfortable with and is causing him problems.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 pm
Posts: 700
I fear it's always going to be something with Pedro and that management's opinion of him has fallen as well. When he's not in the lineup against a righty, even given his defensive struggles, there's something wrong. There's just no way that Harrison should be starting against a righty over him. He's fallen to the point where he's not even just part of a platoon - he's not even playing against the pitchers he hits best. Pedro was supposed to be a really good every day player. He's nowhere near that at this point in his career.

Hopefully it's just the knee that's bothering him. I still hold out hope that he'll be an everyday third baseman but I am starting to question whether that's really ever going to happen for him again.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1592
NDL wrote:
I fear it's always going to be something with Pedro and that management's opinion of him has fallen as well. When he's not in the lineup against a righty, even given his defensive struggles, there's something wrong. There's just no way that Harrison should be starting against a righty over him. He's fallen to the point where he's not even just part of a platoon - he's not even playing against the pitchers he hits best. Pedro was supposed to be a really good every day player. He's nowhere near that at this point in his career.

Hopefully it's just the knee that's bothering him. I still hold out hope that he'll be an everyday third baseman but I am starting to question whether that's really ever going to happen for him again.


Yeah, I've always held out hope.

In my eyes, I see a witch to first base being the only possible solution. Otherwise, maybe it's time to send him to the AL.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 pm
Posts: 700
I think he'd be more useful to an AL team for sure.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2122
rellimie wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
Could Pedro even pick up first base in one off season? Considering he's never played the position or hasn't in years?


He's a professional and according to coaches and players one of the hardest workers on the team.

The irony here is that he really worked hard on his defense at 3b this off season. His range and ability to field the ball have improved over last year. He just looks smoother fielding the ball. It just looks like whatever mechanics he worked on regarding throwing the ball he just didn't get comfortable with and is causing him problems.


Why was he even messing with his throwing mechanics? Why did the pirate organization try to change who Brandon moss was and now is? Why can't we see the Pedro we had last year. The one who was hitting shot after shot hoppers into the Allegheny? The Pedro who could throw a ball to first base.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:26 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2122
A great first baseman is unique. I know Pedro works hard, so do I, and I'm not playing a boys game, but I find it hard pressed to believe he could do it so quickly without costing his team defensively next year. Kind of like he's done this year. Went to the field the other day to see if I could still deliver a strike 127 feet across the diamond. Its not that hard.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:39 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2229
So many of you will not come to the reality that pedro is just a bust. Sorry you all went out and paid $200.00 for his jersey.

I'm foremost a pirates fan. I want what makes the pirates win. I'm tired of waiting for Pedro to get his shit together. Do I want Pedro to succeed? Sure, because it's beneficial to the team. Right now he's not beneficial to the team.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
A bust who let the league in homers last year, right?

His throwing problems have decreased his value, but he can still hit right-handed pitching. There's definite value there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2247
Location: Naples, FL
Clevelandsux wrote:
So many of you will not come to the reality that pedro is just a bust. Sorry you all went out and paid $200.00 for his jersey.

I'm foremost a pirates fan. I want what makes the pirates win. I'm tired of waiting for Pedro to get his shit together. Do I want Pedro to succeed? Sure, because it's beneficial to the team. Right now he's not beneficial to the team.



You're foremost someone who seems to expect the Pirates to win every game and if they don't they SUCK.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5634
Clevelandsux wrote:
So many of you will not come to the reality that pedro is just a bust. Sorry you all went out and paid $200.00 for his jersey.

I'm foremost a pirates fan. I want what makes the pirates win. I'm tired of waiting for Pedro to get his shit together. Do I want Pedro to succeed? Sure, because it's beneficial to the team. Right now he's not beneficial to the team.


Jose Bautista and Brandon Moss looked like 'busts', too.

While that's a recency bias, you can't blame fans for wanting to give a former top pick who has displayed prodigious power skills a chance.

This is baseball, a game where the best players still fail around 70% of the time they go to the plate. Accept the process of the game or curtail your well-repeated thoughts on it.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Bait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
buccosfan77 wrote:
Could Pedro even pick up first base in one off season? Considering he's never played the position or hasn't in years?

You can pick up first base in a couple of afternoons. If he took the field at first tonight he'd already be their best defensive first baseman.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits