Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread (2014)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:57 pm 

After reading what ZM wrote (and other accounts) about David Price stating he would only want to be traded to a "proven winner," I have to think that adversely impacted the Pirates' chances to land him. Looks like Price doesn't consider the Pittsburgh Baseball Club a member of the "proven winner" circle. And you know the Rays wouldn't want to piss him off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:04 pm 

Kinda dissapointed. Thought pirates would land someone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:05 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

After reading TS blog and NH's comments after the deadline, as in "Help will come from within", I wonder if he is talking about Frankie being the good Frankie along with a healthy Cole, or if maybe, just maybe, he is hinting that Kingham will jump this year.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:06 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I've been reading a lot of suggestions that Kingham will be up this season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:10 pm 

Cole comes back and Volquez goes to the 'pen. Since Volquez sits comfortably at 94-95 mph as a starter, he should be able to crank that up to 97-98 mph as a reliever. He can pair that with a good curve. Could be a nasty late-inning relief option.

Also, lefties have REALLY struggled against Jeff Locke. So he's a potential LOOGY if the Pirates make the playoffs and trot out Liriano-Cole-Morton as a three-man rotation (adding Worley, perhaps, as a fourth).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:52 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
And the Marlins way overpaid for Cosart. If you want a GM that makes moves like thennnn ok.

Why the Astros moved Cosart in the first place is curious. He's no better than a Jeff Locke type currently, but Folty is still pitching erratic at AAA, Appel has been a mess, Hader is a year or more away, McCullers is at least two years away and Nitro is no sure thing (although he has been killing it).

I guess they really believe in Peacock/Oberholtzer types or something? Their 'plan' is looking really suspect.

Marisnick, Moran, and a Comp pick is a really nice haul. That's one of those that you can't really say "no" to.

Agreed. Still don't get what Houston is going for though.

McGill and Feldman are Karstens and Correia equivalents. Dallas Keuchel is a mix of Maholm and...? Locke?

They're taking the extra long rebuild route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:56 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Yeah, unless something changed, Moran was supposed to be the best hitter in that draft. Plus now they can wait until he's 26 to call him up and then keep him until he sucks. The Astro Way.

They certainly love throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Ankiel, Dominguez, Robbie, Chris Carter, now Marisnick...

There are certainly more.

Makes sense in some ways considering how barren their team was left, but still.

Last edited by NSMaster56 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 pm 

My co teacher is a huge Tigers fan. He likes getting Price and the Tigers can afford anything. However, he is worried about who is going to play CF….very worried…. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:06 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
My co teacher is a huge Tigers fan. He likes getting Price and the Tigers can afford anything. However, he is worried about who is going to play CF….very worried…. 8-) 8-)

There's a problem we don't have.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:37 pm 

Put me in the "RELIEVED" camp that Josh Bell is still in the Pirates' system.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:

Based on all the moves made it looks like teams wanted young, controllable players to be the key pieces and not prospects as much. Something the Pirates couldn't really match. No way you give a guy like Marte for a rental.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:01 pm 

I'm satisfied with staying with what we have. 1B is a little weak, but I don't think there was much available to fix that anyway. Some help in relief would be nice, but once Cole comes back maybe they bring up Mazzaro and move Volquez or Worley to the bullpen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Put me in the "RELIEVED" camp that Josh Bell is still in the Pirates' system.

And Tyler Glasnow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:40 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
After reading what ZM wrote (and other accounts) about David Price stating he would only want to be traded to a "proven winner," I have to think that adversely impacted the Pirates' chances to land him. Looks like Price doesn't consider the Pittsburgh Baseball Club a member of the "proven winner" circle. And you know the Rays wouldn't want to piss him off.

Really? You don't think that they took the best offer they had, out of respect for somebody who they were getting rid of? Who had no alternative but to accept whatever team he got traded to?

Please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:43 am 

rellimie wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Based on all the moves made it looks like teams wanted young, controllable players to be the key pieces and not prospects as much. Something the Pirates couldn't really match. No way you give a guy like Marte for a rental.

That or they mostly settled for a fraction of the outrageous asking prices we were hearing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:49 am 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Really? You don't think that they took the best offer they had, out of respect for somebody who they were getting rid of? Who had no alternative but to accept whatever team he got traded to?

Please.

David Price is a star. He won a Cy Young award with the Rays. He won playoff games for them. He's one of the top 6 or 7 pitchers on the planet. Teams do not simply ignore demands made by star players. That's not smart, and it's a good way to ensure that no star players want to play for your franchise.

I don't believe that David Price's wishes would have precluded him being traded to Pittsburgh if the Pirates' offer was MUCH better than other teams' offers. However, I do believe that if the offers were close, even if the Pirates' offer was slightly better, the Rays would likely take Price's desires into account out of respect for his stature and what he's accomplished as a Tampa Bay Ray.

Do you have any experience managing people, my friend? Because if so, you should know all of this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:33 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Please.

David Price is a star. He won a Cy Young award with the Rays. He won playoff games for them. He's one of the top 6 or 7 pitchers on the planet. Teams do not simply ignore demands made by star players. That's not smart, and it's a good way to ensure that no star players want to play for your franchise.

I don't believe that David Price's wishes would have precluded him being traded to Pittsburgh if the Pirates' offer was MUCH better than other teams' offers. However, I do believe that if the offers were close, even if the Pirates' offer was slightly better, the Rays would likely take Price's desires into account out of respect for his stature and what he's accomplished as a Tampa Bay Ray.

Do you have any experience managing people, my friend? Because if so, you should know all of this.

Bullshit. You don't win ballgames by kissing the asses of departing players. There is no way that the Rays GM failed to take what he judged to be the best offer he received. If he did, he should be fired.

I quit doing it for other reasons, but yes, I have a lot of experience managing people. As a matter of fact, I'm quite good at it. How much experience do you have at building winning professional baseball teams?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:35 am 

sisyphus wrote:
How much experience do you have at building winning professional baseball teams?

At least as much as you do, my friend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:49 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
How much experience do you have at building winning professional baseball teams?

At least as much as you do, my friend.

Exactly. So when Cutch's contract is running down and the offers start pouring in, should Huntington take a lower offer just to please McCutchen? I think that the Pirates are far more indebted to McCutchen that Tampa is to Price, who has been on the free agency track since day 1. Even I might be tempted to do that. But I doubt that I would, not if I wanted to build another winner. Keep in mind that every team that was in on the Price deal is a damned good team. If Price is all that everybody seems to think he is, whatever team he went to would become a favorite to get to the World Series. How much more so if it was Cutch?

This assumes that the Pirates are in a position where they should trade him at all, or course, and that Cutch remains Cutch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 am 
 WWW  Profile

"I was totally going to sign with the Rays as a free agent, but then I saw that they traded David Price to the Pirates instead of the Tigers. Guess I'll take $200 mil from NYY instead"

- No free agent star ever

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next