Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread (2014)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:29 pm 

rks wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
Still, overpaying in a consistent basis is a terrible way to manage a small market team and I'm glad they didn't repeat it this year. They ended the drought and showed they were serious (they already had but that should've been the final nakl), now keep building.

You'd think so, but the vitriole on talk shows has been insane. People are literally accusing the Pirates of lying, and being frauds, because they didn't "go all in" this year. I wonder what those folks think a Lester trade would do for the Pirates' chances of winning the world series.

A lot of people have the patience of a 5 year old. This includes the media, not just fans. They want a World Series now; they don't care about the future. They are convinced that Nutting is pocketing huge amounts of cash, and that the Pirates braintrust is a bunch of clowns.

Which of course is directly contradicted by the fact that we had a great season last year, are enjoying another one this year, and have a very good farm system that bodes well for future years.

Post subject: Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread (2014)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:23 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Jack Round Tripper wrote:
When we were bad, the trade deadline was the last significant part of the season that held any interest. I always enjoyed seeing what prospects we got in those deals (from Andy LaRoche to Josh Harrison.). Now I cringe and hope we don't give up too much this time of year.

BTW, I see Dilson Herrera is having quite a season at AA at around .340 with .970 ops in 180 ab's in age 20 season. And Vic Black has a 1.80 ERA with the Mets out of their bullpen in 29 appearances. The Marlon Byrd trade was generally considered a positive one for Pirates but we may look back at that one with a different opinion in a few years...especially if Neil Walker leaves.

Except that without Byrd we probably don't make the playoffs.

Simply not true. You do realize we finished 8 games up on the Nationals who had the best record of non-playoff teams? Maybe we don't get the home game and maybe we don't win the WC game, but pretty certain we make the playoffs without him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14