Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 am 

Nice weather, great seats, great company, crisply-played game.

(1) Worley gets the ball and throws strikes. I enjoyed watching him pitch. Pence had three well-struck balls off him, but otherwise of much.

(2) Bad idea hall-of-fame: Throw Harrison a fastball.

(3) Bad idea hall of fame number 2: Run on Russell Martin.

Post subject: Re: Game Report
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Nice. I'd love to see a game there some time. You picked a great night to go. Complete games are an endangered species.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:51 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Nice weather, great seats, great company, crisply-played game.

(1) Worley gets the ball and throws strikes. I enjoyed watching him pitch. Pence had three well-struck balls off him, but otherwise of much.

(2) Bad idea hall-of-fame: Throw Harrison a fastball.

(3) Bad idea hall of fame number 2: Run on Russell Martin.

Martin might have the quickest release I've ever seen from a catcher. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but it's a good one, and he's deadly accurate.

I still can't believe that Harrison ever sees a fastball anywhere near the strike zone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:01 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I still can't believe that Harrison ever sees a fastball anywhere near the strike zone.

Harrison has excellent pitch recognition and a very good command of the strike zone. He will wait out the pitchers, I think, and get a fastball.

At least, I hope so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:17 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Harrison has excellent pitch recognition and a very good command of the strike zone. He will wait out the pitchers, I think, and get a fastball.

Harrison's extremely unique approach at the plate of never walking or striking out fascinates me. In the minors, it was even more severe at times. Equally interesting is how he has managed to be so productive with that skillset this year while it was a clear hindrance the last few (posting sub-.300 OBPs). I've posted this before, an excellent article at BP from 2012 (published after he broke up Verlander's no-hitter) with some eye-opening numbers about his plate discipline ... http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17079

Some stats the article pulled re: Harrison's bizarre plate discipline ...

- In A-ball, he walked 3 times in 126 PAs
- In high-A, he walked once in 120 PAs
- It took him 41 pitches to see his first 3-0 count in the majors
- In 2012, it took him 17 PAs before his first 2-0 count
- In 2012, his first BB came in his 49th PA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:09 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

At least, I hope so.

I'd just keep throwing breaking balls in the zone until he has two strikes, and once I got two strikes I'd start throwing them out of the zone. He can turn around anybody's fastball. I might show him one out of the zone now and then, but that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:11 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Harrison's extremely unique approach at the plate of never walking or striking out fascinates me. In the minors, it was even more severe at times. Equally interesting is how he has managed to be so productive with that skillset this year while it was a clear hindrance the last few (posting sub-.300 OBPs). I've posted this before, an excellent article at BP from 2012 (published after he broke up Verlander's no-hitter) with some eye-opening numbers about his plate discipline ... http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17079

Some stats the article pulled re: Harrison's bizarre plate discipline ...

- In A-ball, he walked 3 times in 126 PAs
- In high-A, he walked once in 120 PAs
- It took him 41 pitches to see his first 3-0 count in the majors
- In 2012, it took him 17 PAs before his first 2-0 count
- In 2012, his first BB came in his 49th PA

He's a lot like Freddy Garcia in that way, he refuses to walk, but has enough bat control that he manages to foul off a lot of bad pitches when he has two strikes. Unfortunately, some of those two strike fouls are ball fours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 pm 

Harrison shows us he is improving as a hitter, by drawing a walk in his second straight game. He now works the count, and will take a walk. He gets to three ball counts pretty frequently, in fact.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Harrison shows us he is improving as a hitter, by drawing a walk in his second straight game. He now works the count, and will take a walk. He gets to three ball counts pretty frequently, in fact.

Not arguing that Harrison isn't improving, but you can't draw any conclusions based on two games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:55 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Not arguing that Harrison isn't improving, but you can't draw any conclusions based on two games.

I think Harrison is a different hitter that he was three years ago. He now looks like he's willing to work the count and take a walk. He's constantly working pitchers to a full count.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

He's been in 7 3-0 counts and taken 7 walks in them. That seems pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:46 pm 

was at the game as well:

> packed house, sold out, sat 6 rows behind home plate, lots of fun.
> liriano pitched a gem, threw heat. in fact it was interesting to watch all three bucs pitchers throw heat, mid 90s, compared to hudson and his mid 80s stuff.
> mike morse is a friggin' behemoth, looks a lot bigger than his reported size of 6' 5", 245.
> man, russell martin is is broad, never realized it before, he's a human backstop.
> watching cutch run is a treat, a blur, seeing him hit that double and fly to second was a thing of beauty.
> polanco was surprisingly tall and lanky, and he looks very raw at the plate.
> disappointed that i didn't get a chance to see marte play.
> harrison looked solid at 3rd, very comfortable, soft glove and strong arm.
> lots of bucs fans sporting colors in attendance, i was certainly not alone.
> 7th inning marked a mass exodus, funny to watch 10k+ all get up and file for the exits at the same time.
> not real crazy about what appears to be a color mismatch on the back of the pirates road jerseys, the bright (almost neon) yellow nameplate letters look completely out of place next to the lighter yellow jersey number, almost looks like an order snafu, found it a little odd, and never really noticed it before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:26 pm 

I was ragging on Morse to Corsair, calling him a bad baseball player, saying he fans more than most teams, he hits 1 home run a week and fools some into thinking he's decent, blah, blah. First AB he hits a home run. He made up for that, almost, by fanning his next 3 at bats.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:30 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I was ragging on Morse to Corsair, calling him a bad baseball player, saying he fans more than most teams, he hits 1 home run a week and fools some into thinking he's decent, blah, blah. First AB he hits a home run. He made up for that, almost, by fanning his next 3 at bats.

:D

i actually didn't get to my seats until the top of the 3rd, had to watch the action on the stadium monitors, the huge bottleneck at the entrance gates was crazy thanks to the metal detectors, took forever to get in, don't remember them last year. also the path to our seats was insane, up down, up down, until we were funneled into the ground level of the stadium, the bowels of the park, a concrete tunnel maze dotted with back entrances to concession stands, food piled everywhere, just bizarre, until we were finally led up a short flight of stairs to the park and the seats, worth it tho, we were practically on the field. got a little nervous when the first batter melancon faced, posey, smoked a single up the middle, followed by sandoval who almost went yard, melancon wasn't fooling anyone, the batters were making hard contact, a big relief when he got morse to chase some pitches as he struck him out.