Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Illegal defense?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:16 pm 

I read this article about considering a rule change making some shifts illegal and not sure what to think of it. I'm curious as to what others think.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/22/shifts ... avid-ortiz

Post subject: Re: Illegal defense?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:57 pm 

Pretty asinine. Just because teams figured out how to play defense better isn't a reason to change the rules. How about teaching the hitters to adjust? If they could go the opposite way, there would be shifts.

And what's next? Outfielders can't shade over towards a hitters strength?

How about Verducci writes about the MLB draft and what a joke it has become since they made the recent changes? Now that would be a good article.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:00 pm 

Thanks for the find.

My feeling: coming up with a new rule to negate manager creativity (the shift) and restore the balance of power for slow, left handed pull hitters is too much. Maybe they should be a dying breed. And the notion that it will take too long to teach youngsters at the minor league level to hit to all fields seems ludicrous. Shouldn't they be doing this anyway? And by the time the rules committee, or whatever governing body gets to make such decrees, actually acknowledges this and changes the rule, the newbies should be up in the bigs anyway...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 pm 

Just sounds like another way MLB can hurt small market teams. Small market teams rely on pitching and defense to win games more so than the large market teams that buy these power hitters.

If something like this takes effect then they better also start using the cameras for balls and strikes and dump umpires all together for calls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:27 am 

Dumb idea. Just like it's a dumb idea in the NBA to call illegal defense for zones. Let coaches and managers come up with the best strategies for the game. Period. Hell, I was advocating trying a 5-man infield and 2-man outfield for when Morton pitches. In baseball, you have 9 defenders on the field. They can play wherever you want to play them. Stripping creativity from the game just dumbs it down and prevents future innovation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 am 
 WWW  Profile

It was arguably ruining the other sports but I don't think it's ruining baseball, so I'd leave it unchanged. But very few rule changes have nearly the drastic effects that doomsdayers predict.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Today's "LH power hitters" are a product of the steroid era. That is, they grew up in that era and learned their approaches to hitting for that era. Like PNC Park being a "fair" hitter's park... it was... in the steroid era. It's a cavern now.

Today's kids will learn to hit against defenses etc., and their approaches will adjust. Probably become more like the "old timer's" who made it a priority to put the ball in play over "hacking away".

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:42 pm 

Absolutely hitters will adjust. The idea of changing the rules to outlaw shifts is stupid. You should be able to place your fielders anywhere you want to.

I'd be ok with lowering the mound or tightening the strike zone to get more offense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:35 pm 

Baseball is resistant to things changing? Say it ain't so!