Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: No Pedro ....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:06 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
How am I going to know who sucks and should be sent to the minors if you guys drive Clevelandsux away from this board?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:08 am 

In all seriousness though. If Harrrison manages to finish the year with numbers close to what he has now; I would consider the following move in the off season.

Harrison 2B
Walker 3B
Alvarez 1B

Until then, he is best on this team as a super utility player. Not an every day corner infielder.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 am 

rellimie wrote:

You do realize Harrison's OPS in July is .571 right?

No it isn't. His OPS, after last night's double and HR game granted, for July is .682. Maybe that one night raised him 20 points....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 am 
 WWW  Profile

val wrote:
rellimie wrote:

No it isn't. His OPS, after last night's double and HR game granted, for July is .682. Maybe that one night raised him 20 points....

More than that.

Current: 5 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 20 H, 76 AB: 10+3+4+13 = 30/76 = .395 SLG

Prior: 4 2B, 1 3B, 18 H, let's say 71 AB = 8+3+13 = 24/71 = .338 SLG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am 

rellimie wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
Everyone is going to analyze Pedro now. Whether its his confidence, his eye sight, or if his wife is not giving him enough.

But the guy just isn't getting it done. He makes the same mistakes night after night. And it usually costs the team nearly every time. Yes I bash Pedro a lot on here, and for reason. I want him to be successful. I want him to be the big bat on this team. But it's not happening. He's not a rookie anymore. A lot of people have been riding polanco. But, I know he's a rookie. I expect slumps from him.

The problem is that the pirates just gave him a huge contract. And I don't know if he has much trade value right now. So pretty much, we're stuck. Maybe a stint in AAA? I don't know the answer. But I think josh Harrison should be starting at third base right now.

And right on cue, Harrison goes 4-6 with a HR, lol. Sometimes you have to wonder if some of these guys read the posts here for motivational purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 am 

I am sure they do….blame it on Pedro…. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:01 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
rellimie wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
Everyone is going to analyze Pedro now. Whether its his confidence, his eye sight, or if his wife is not giving him enough.

But the guy just isn't getting it done. He makes the same mistakes night after night. And it usually costs the team nearly every time. Yes I bash Pedro a lot on here, and for reason. I want him to be successful. I want him to be the big bat on this team. But it's not happening. He's not a rookie anymore. A lot of people have been riding polanco. But, I know he's a rookie. I expect slumps from him.

The problem is that the pirates just gave him a huge contract. And I don't know if he has much trade value right now. So pretty much, we're stuck. Maybe a stint in AAA? I dont know the answer. But I think josh Harrison should be starting at third base right now.

Huge contract?

To go along with all of those 4 strikeout games that have become an epidemic for him.

Pedro also has 'character issues' worse than Lastings Milledge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:30 pm 

Character issues? Never heard anything wrong with his character. But please fill me in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm 

He's not a hard worker and pulls his hat over his ears. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:

Also repeatedly shows up to Spring Training super overweight and clearly has no passion for the game or his teammates due to a lack of outward emotions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 pm 

Every thread has turned into a Pedro thread. His lack of power to his lack of arm control. The league adjusted. His team will only support his mistakes for so long. Now the bucs are looking at his mental handicap makeup. Superb. Guy has problems. The missing piece on a team trying to achieve something great.

Thankful for J jhay. Or mineral rights. Something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 pm 

Bucs are in a pennant race and can't wait for Pedro to get it together. If they were in last place maybe they could afford to. But remember again, Pedro's not a rookie anymore. It's not just the fact he can't hit. His poor defense is costing the team.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:37 pm 

I'm a Pedro supporter, and I have not given up on him, but I do understand the current frustration. If I were Hurdle, I would be doing exactly what he's doing -- minimizing the hard matchups and critical situations for Pedro, until he gets out of this funk. I think it's fair to make Pedro play his way back to being in there all the time, but at the same time you have to give him the opportunity to improve.

I would also consider finishing each practice with the team all around Pedro, and not let them leave the field until he fields and throws 10 balls cleanly. That is, practice throwing in a high-pressure situation.

As for why he gets so much crap, well, he's probably always going to be a lightning rod for criticism, mostly because of two things: the perceived potential, and his lack of emotion (which makes folks perceive him as unlikable). Neither of those are fair. I'm not saying that Pedro is above criticism right now -- obviously he deserves a bunch.

As for clutch-ness, stats analysis shows that being clutch is mostly a myth. If you think Pedro isn't clutch, explain his > 1.100 OPS in the playoffs last year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Character issues? Never heard anything wrong with his character. But please fill me in.

OLD joke.

A former board member (eStrago?) used to complain about "Lastings Milledge's character issues" because he confused him for Elijah Dukes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:27 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

OLD joke.

A former board member (eStrago?) used to complain about "Lastings Milledge's character issues" because he confused him for Elijah Dukes.

Ah the good old days, when if you couldn't articulate your case, you just made stuff up.

Wait a second, maybe the only thing that's changed are the names of the people who do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:36 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:

Boarder Animal was a culprit, too. I specifically remember an exact quote of his that Milledge was a "negative influence on McCutchen". Animal had a history of making personal attacks on players that he didn't like for on field reasons. He infamously criticized Ryan Doumit for "being big in the Pittsburgh party scene" because he hated him as a player and loved McKenry after he was acquired.

Milledge did come to the Pirates with a rocky history. But I don't believe a singe negative thing was ever reported about his character or off-field issues while he was in a Pirates uniform.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:

Well according to many of these board members, they personally know that Pedro is one of the hardest workers on the team. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:40 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:

Well according to many of these board members, they personally know that Pedro is one of the hardest workers on the team. :lol:

Oh boy.......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm 

I know ....it has only been stated from just about everybody associated with the team......also funny how Josh Harrison wears his hat over his ears but no one has ever said a word... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:53 pm 

Does he really now? Hmmm. That changes my whole opinion of him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next