Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AJ ?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:36 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
I think this is a deal that gets done. Players are pushing for it, and AJ seems very interested in returning. Maybe he agrees to drop the option in his contract...

I doubt that. I'd say it's more likely that the Phillies agree to pay some portion of his salary next year in exchange for a better prospect.

Well...it depends how much AJ wants to return. As we saw this past off season you can't buy everything he says. The Phillies are in a bad spot with all of their lousy contracts, as far as trades go, so your scenario is a definite possibility. And with the Phillies wanting rid of some of these older guys with bad contracts they may not even require a better prospect. Of course we are talking about Amaro so it's anyone's guess what he is thinking....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:40 pm 

Crasnick saying the Pirates want assurance that he'll retire this offseason. So, I doubt this gets done.

His hard hit rate has jumped the 6th most in the majors this year. Combine it with the drop in K's and his pitch tracking numbers being down and I'm not buying some sort of magical resurgence. They can't be on the hook for all that money next year and it's debatable whether he'd even be worth the 7.5MM by then.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:42 pm 

It appears that it is becoming much more likely that the Pirates are going to get AJ. Jim Bowden of ESPN just tweeted that the Bucs and Phillies are working on a deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:49 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
It appears that it is becoming much more likely that the Pirates are going to get AJ. Jim Bowden of ESPN just tweeted that the Bucs and Phillies are working on a deal.

Guy has a rubber arm. Believe he just threw 130 his last start. Workhorse. I'm excited to potentially have him back. If so, I'll be there. Make sure the Phillies eat some and don't give up a high end.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:24 pm 

I, of course, did not want us to let AJ go, and it seems like he's worked his way past the hernia problems. Was that ever confirmed or was it more of the rumor mill being active? In any event, I'd love to have him back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:45 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:

His tweet made it seem a little less imminent than that. Only said that it was alive, which has been reported for a few days by guys like Crasnick, Stark, Heymsn, etc..

I can't see them pushing for another back of the rotation arm, especially one who is way underperforming his contract.

People pointed to the SF start, which was nice, but he also got lit up by Atlanta (a terrible offense) one start before that. He's not the same guy he was in Pittsburgh, and that's just talking from a pure "stuff" perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I agree. If I'm hitting on Philly, I'm taking a long, hard look at Cliff Lee.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:33 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I agree. If I'm hitting on Philly, I'm taking a long, hard look at Cliff Lee.

ZM

Lee has been my favorite pitcher to watch for some time now. I would cheer just for the fan's perspective. But surely he'd cost too much, right>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:39 pm 

I don't want Burnett back. For a multitude of reasons.

High on my list is who I perceive him to be as a person. It's AJ first. AJ last. And everything in between. Strung out the Pirates all off-season before going to a non-contender. Now he supposedly wants to come back for the stretch run. In other words, he wanted his money, was willing to pitch for a losing team but wants to be traded so he can experience another pennant race. Screw that.

He's old. He expensive. He's selfish.

If it was me, I'd say "no thanks, you had your chance and you bailed."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:43 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I don't want Burnett back. For a multitude of reasons.

High on my list is who I perceive him to be as a person. It's AJ first. AJ last. And everything in between. Strung out the Pirates all off-season before going to a non-contender. Now he supposedly wants to come back for the stretch run. In other words, he wanted his money, was willing to pitch for a losing team but wants to be traded so he can experience another pennant race. Screw that.

He's old. He expensive. He's selfish.

If it was me, I'd say "no thanks, you had your chance and you bailed."

While I have been critical of the FO for allowing Burnett to leave in the first place, I agree completely. I see no reason to bring anyone back who wanted away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 pm 

AJ lays an egg tonight. 40 pitches and 4 runs in the first inning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:44 pm 

Burnett tossed in the third inning tonight after doing his ole arguing balls and strikes shtick following giving up a 3-run HR.