Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:08 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6243
Location: Keystone State
Love the intros. My favorite part of the game.

Now, someone tell me why the Disney chick is singing a Dylan song? MLB has lost it's marbles. It seems they can't do anything the right way.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:33 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2126
Nice to see Cutch get off to a good start.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:34 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6243
Location: Keystone State
Single. Stolen Base. Great start.

And then Jeter with the double. Awesome stuff.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2126
Jeter with a nice ovation. Just before he roped a double down the right field line the crowd got quiet and someone was yelling overrated as Jeter made contact.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2126
Wainwright getting hammered.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6243
Location: Keystone State
Hopefully this is the start of some bad ju ju for Wainwright and the Cardinals.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:54 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6243
Location: Keystone State
Great job by MLB with Jeter's intro done by the late Bob Sheppard, someone Jeter admired. Sheppard's voice is legendary.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5893
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
C'mon Cutch. Break the tie.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1511
Natch I can't see the game.. my wife is sleeping in the only room where we can get freakin' Fox.
Watched first three innings, now listening to radio. Stinking MLB blocks all free streaming sites. -____-

Did get to see the Reds game.. what a great game!! Cutch is only getting better!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5893
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
The OF play so far by Trout, Bautista and Puig has been less than stellar.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 942
Location: Rochester, New York
FWIW Wainwright told Passan he grooved a few to Jeter because "he deserved it."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
JollyRoger wrote:
FWIW Wainwright told Passan he grooved a few to Jeter because "he deserved it."


And there's a perfect little microcosm for why people think the ASG shouldn't actually mean anything.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5893
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Farrell played things perfectly. To have the battery composed of home town players is a great way to end the game. Not happy with the ultimate outcome but a pretty decent game to watch.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1457
Location: Eastern Shore
TheShark wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:
FWIW Wainwright told Passan he grooved a few to Jeter because "he deserved it."


And there's a perfect little microcosm for why people think the ASG shouldn't actually mean anything.

Yeah, but does it really mean anything? Home field advantage for the WS? You would probably know better than I, but once you normalize for the fact that in most series, both in basketball and baseball, the better team gets home field advantage, does home field field really count for anything?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:15 pm 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6243
Location: Keystone State
val wrote:
TheShark wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:
FWIW Wainwright told Passan he grooved a few to Jeter because "he deserved it."


And there's a perfect little microcosm for why people think the ASG shouldn't actually mean anything.

Yeah, but does it really mean anything? Home field advantage for the WS? You would probably know better than I, but once you normalize for the fact that in most series, both in basketball and baseball, the better team gets home field advantage, does home field field really count for anything?


Before they added this rule, the World Series host was alternating. So, what's the big deal now? It was always sort of random anyway.

Now, since Interleague play is so prominent, why don't they go to best overall record gets it. It didn't make sense in the past, but it does now.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
val wrote:
Yeah, but does it really mean anything? Home field advantage for the WS? You would probably know better than I, but once you normalize for the fact that in most series, both in basketball and baseball, the better team gets home field advantage, does home field field really count for anything?


I agree that it doesn't mean much. I've heard the numbers crunched that WS home field advantage improves win percentage for the home team to about 52%. If you care about recent trends, 23 of the last 28 WS winners have had home field. I think it's one those intangibles thatplayers/managers probably swear by on a comfort level.

I just find a little contradiction with MLB's attempt to want fans to take it seriously and not just a meaningless exhibition for that reason, yet you get things like this that happen. I'm all for the players having fun with it, it just seems to me that the ASG is always in an identify crisis as to whether it's one thing or another.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 pm
Posts: 894
Location: Bradenton, FL.
The players should take control and let it end in a tie and see if Selig ends it early again.
No winner so no home field advantage so no World series

20th anniversary of the strike, here we come...

_________________
LetsGoMarauders - Website
LetsGoMarauders - Twitter
GCL Pirates Fan Page
FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5517
Location: Pittsburgh
TheShark wrote:
val wrote:
Yeah, but does it really mean anything? Home field advantage for the WS? You would probably know better than I, but once you normalize for the fact that in most series, both in basketball and baseball, the better team gets home field advantage, does home field field really count for anything?


I agree that it doesn't mean much. I've heard the numbers crunched that WS home field advantage improves win percentage for the home team to about 52%. If you care about recent trends, 23 of the last 28 WS winners have had home field. I think it's one those intangibles thatplayers/managers probably swear by on a comfort level.

I just find a little contradiction with MLB's attempt to want fans to take it seriously and not just a meaningless exhibition for that reason, yet you get things like this that happen. I'm all for the players having fun with it, it just seems to me that the ASG is always in an identify crisis as to whether it's one thing or another.

I don't think that deciding home field advantage based on the All Star Game is any less silly than deciding it based on whether the last number in the current year is odd or even.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: All-Star Game Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 pm
Posts: 894
Location: Bradenton, FL.
Here'a a crazy idea - how about letting the record speak for itself?

When you get the final 2 teams that will be playing in the WS, check their regular season records.
Whoever has the better record, gets the home field advantage.

God forbid they earn it.

_________________
LetsGoMarauders - Website
LetsGoMarauders - Twitter
GCL Pirates Fan Page
FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits