Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yesterday's Curve Game
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:55 am 

I had the opportunity to take the children in my Summer Camp to the Harrisburg Senators game yesterday. Coincidentally, they just happened to be playing the Altoona Curve! Okay, it wasn't a coincidence- I scheduled it that way! Anyway, I also had the opportunity to sing the National Anthem before the game, which was a huge adreneline rush, even if there were only a couple hundred people there at the time.

As I was being ushered off the field, I passed by the Curve dugout, and Carlos Garcia reached out and shook my hand and said, "Nice job." I responded by telling him that I was a huge Pirate fan, that I enjoyed watching him play, and wished him luck at Altoona. Pretty cool.

Anyway, to the game. I didn't get to concentrate on it too much due to watching kids, but I did notice a few things. I was bummed because Allen Hanson wasn't in the lineup, although he singled as a pinch hitter after we left. Elias Diaz and Willy Garcia also did not play, and the starter was Thomas Harlan.

First off, Gift Ngoepe absolutely crushed two balls. He tripled left-handed to lead off the game to the gap in right center. Later, he homered to left field as a right-handed hitter. This shot had to be close to 400 feet, because it hit well abovve the 388' sign on the gift shop. I saw Matt Hague hit one there a couple years ago, but this one was more impressive, especially from a guy as small as Gift. I guess he's a marginal prospect at best, but you never know. He didn't impress me in the field yesterday, but it could have just been an off day, because his glove is supposed to be good.

Carlos Paulino had a bad day behind the plate. They ran on him a lot, and he couldn't even get a throw off.

Keon Broxton does not strike me as a future major leaguer.

Emmanuel de Leon was hitting 94 mph on the scoreboard with a decent slider. Command seems to be the thing holding him out of prospect status.

Post subject: Re: Yesterday's Curve Game
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 am 

Hey - I was at that game too, DF. Great job on the anthem!

I was disappointed to not see more of Hansen too, but I have to say I was really impressed by Gift. Looks really smooth at SS, and as you say, he absolutely crushed those two. I pictured him as more of a slap hitter, but not yesterday.

As for Broxton, he didn't look too good at the plate, but I liked the way he looked in CF - just glides after the ball and covers a lot of ground.

Allie had one single, which was hit about as hard as Gift's blast - it was in left field in a hurry. Kinda butchered a couple of plays at 1b where they had the runner picked off and his throws to second were off line - he got charged with an error on one of the plays and maybe the second as well. Also he and Paulino got crossed up on a foul ball that dropped between them.

Again, great job Frobel!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:00 am 

Thanks for adding your perspective. And thanks for the compliment as well. I sure enjoy singing.

I agree with your assessment on Broxton in the field. He was in center field yesterday, and he is pretty fluid. He almost made a real nice catch. He signed an autograph for a little boy just before game time, which was a nice gesture.

Yeah, Stetson Allie really crushed that single to left. I guess he beaned a Senators pitcher Friday night with a liner back through the middle. He is very quiet and patient at the plate. I'd say he still has a chance. You kind of have to give him an extra year because of his late start as a hitter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:32 pm 

Forgot about Allie.

How's he been doing this year/lately?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:06 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Forgot about Allie.

How's he been doing this year/lately?

Key numbers: 29% K rate (terrible) on pace for 30 HRs at the break (very good). He has actually been a decent hitter overall (116 wRC+) ... pretty similar statline to last year, low average, high SLG. Still, it's hard to be considered much of a prospect if you have a 30% K rate in AA. But considering his power vanished when he jumped to high-A last year, the raw power is encouraging.