Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates interested in Street
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:43 pm 

Angels are also interested.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24620862/angels-one-team-eying-huston-street-pirates-others-in-early-mix

Post subject: Re: Pirates interested in Street
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:55 pm 

While it's obvious that the Pirates have a bullpen problem, NH has demonstrated the ability to avoid trading valuable future assets for a fungible one such as a reliever/closer.

It would be nice if that trend continued.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:35 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

Must be July, the smell of unsubstantiated B.S. is in the air again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:17 am 

Depends on what it takes to get him. Huntington is not going to deal any significant prospect for two months of Huston Street.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:57 am 

Street is not a two month rental. He also has a very reasonable 7mm club option for 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:01 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Depends on what it takes to get him. Huntington is not going to deal any significant prospect for two months of Huston Street.

Balance of 7 mil this year. 7 mil club option next year.

If give up something decent if we can get Kennedy as well. Also signed through next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:47 am 

Heyman wrote: "the Pirates are one team reported to have checked in on Street." I would have expected NH to have "checked in" on Street. If the Deadspin reporting on the Astros' database should have taught us anything, it's that GMs "check in" on player availability all the time. It's what they do; it's part of their job.

NH: "Would you consider trading Huston Street and, if so, what type of return would you be seeking?"

That's "checking in.". I'm sure that there have been lots of teams that have "checked in" on Street.

Whether the demand in return for Street is realistic and/or acceptable is a wholly different issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:47 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Balance of 7 mil this year. 7 mil club option next year.

If give up something decent if we can get Kennedy as well. Also signed through next year.

Give up something decent and get both? You have to be kidding. They're most likely going to have to give up a boatload just to get Street, something far beyond "something decent".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:19 pm 

This may sound a little dumb (what else isn't new? :D ), but it's a shame that the Bucs don't have a surplus of AAAA bats at the moment.

Aside from Allie and Lambo, the Bucs best power prospects have shown, thus far, to be more 'complete' hitters that might actually succeed at higher levels (primarily Bell, but others, as well).

I say this because the Pads are clearly desperate for hitting and suckers for power. They have arms stashed (Casey Kelley, Matt Wisler, Max Fried...), but need hitters since they're going to lose Chase and are posting some of the worst offensive numbers with him.

It's too bad that NH couldn't flip Lambo + Allie for Street (or more). It would be a nearly perfect 'low risk' trade since not only would those types of power prospects pose 'problematic' fundamentals at higher levels, but would be unlikely to succeed at PETCO.

Oh, well...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 am 

From my Off-Day Musings, 2014 Part II thread, here was my proposed deal for the Pirates to obtain Street:

Pirates trade Luis Heredia, Andrew Lambo, and Casey Sadler to the Padres for Ian Kennedy and Huston Street. This would be a short-term type of trade, as Kennedy is controlled through 2015 and Street has a team option for 2015 at $7M that the Pirates may or may not exercise. It would have a chance to stabilize the Pirates' pitching staff.

I think I'd do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:47 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
From my Off-Day Musings, 2014 Part II thread, here was my proposed deal for the Pirates to obtain Street:

Pirates trade Luis Heredia, Andrew Lambo, and Casey Sadler to the Padres for Ian Kennedy and Huston Street. This would be a short-term type of trade, as Kennedy is controlled through 2015 and Street has a team option for 2015 at $7M that the Pirates may or may not exercise. It would have a chance to stabilize the Pirates' pitching staff.

I think I'd do that.

I think I'd do it as well, but I think that the Padres would just tell Huntington to call back if he ever got serious, then slam down the phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:50 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I think I'd do that.

I think I'd do it as well, but I think that the Padres would just tell Huntington to call back if he ever got serious, then slam down the phone.

Given the presumably insane market for "proven closers," you're probably right. In reality -- at least in terms of relative, actual value -- that's a fair deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:05 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I think I'd do that.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:33 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I think I'd do that.

Exactly...that deals not even close to happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm 

The Rangers' trading of Jason Frasor to KC for a AAA reliever today kind of sets the market in a favorable way for the Bucs acquiring a reliever of their own.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Given the presumably insane market for "proven closers," you're probably right. In reality -- at least in terms of relative, actual value -- that's a fair deal.

You're probably right, it's certainly at least in the ballpark.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 am 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:

..is this the word on the street? :-)

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.