Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tyler Yates
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7285
PirateParrot wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Unless you determined that neither provide value for a winning team.

And, Yates is a better pitcher than Beam, when used correctly as has been shown.

ZM


I agree totally. If you've watched more than 3 games of baseball you know that Yates is better than Beam. But ZM, did you find a mathematical algorithm to prove it.

Theres no mathematical algorithm, but theres box scores where Beam was sent in as a mop up down by 6 or 8 runs or when no one else was left in the pen...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tyler Yates
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2175
nad69dan wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Unless you determined that neither provide value for a winning team.

And, Yates is a better pitcher than Beam, when used correctly as has been shown.

ZM


I agree totally. If you've watched more than 3 games of baseball you know that Yates is better than Beam. But ZM, did you find a mathematical algorithm to prove it.

Theres no mathematical algorithm, but theres box scores where Beam was sent in as a mop up down by 6 or 8 runs or when no one else was left in the pen...


I know...I was taking a sarcastic shot at the stat guys here...I hate when I actually have to watch games and see how good somebody is!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tyler Yates
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:43 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
curveradio wrote:
Alex..you mentioned that NH thought this team could contend in 2008?? What kind of crap are you smoking dude..NH NEVER said anything about contending


You are right, here is what NH said:
Quote:
This community was excited about this team last year and we believe that this club will be better than it performed in 2007. Our focus is putting a club on the field that will respect the game, play the right way and give itself a chance to win each night

Expect a similar statement this year.....and that statement, like the quote above will clearly indicate no signs of winning. That quote sounds like a pledge my little league team used to say before each game

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tyler Yates
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7285
estrago wrote:
You are right, here is what NH said:
Quote:
This community was excited about this team last year and we believe that this club will be better than it performed in 2007. Our focus is putting a club on the field that will respect the game, play the right way and give itself a chance to win each night

Expect a similar statement this year.....and that statement, like the quote above will clearly indicate no signs of winning. That quote sounds like a pledge my little league team used to say before each game


I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tyler Yates
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:31 pm
Posts: 20
I think that NH was absolutely desperate last year when he signed Yates. If memory serves, his Plan A and Plan B at setup were not working out. It didn't seem like anyone was ready to set up for Capps, at least from the right side. We all know Kim was a disaster in ST.

Whether we could have just gotten Yates on waivers, and not traded Redmond for him, is a matter of conjecture. It is true that the Braves were going to part with him, but it remains to be seen whether or not another team would have made enough of an offer to keep him from being available "for free". Just this offseason we've seen guys acquired in trades before they were taken in waivers. My guess is that NH was desperate enough not to risk losing Yates. He probably fell in love with Yates' stats from his one inarguably good season. After all, some guys think that once you've seen it, it's in there - you just have to figure how to get it out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Tyler Yates
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4270
Location: Zelienople, PA
SyrBucco wrote:
I think that NH was absolutely desperate last year when he signed Yates. If memory serves, his Plan A and Plan B at setup were not working out. It didn't seem like anyone was ready to set up for Capps, at least from the right side. We all know Kim was a disaster in ST.

Whether we could have just gotten Yates on waivers, and not traded Redmond for him, is a matter of conjecture. It is true that the Braves were going to part with him, but it remains to be seen whether or not another team would have made enough of an offer to keep him from being available "for free". Just this offseason we've seen guys acquired in trades before they were taken in waivers. My guess is that NH was desperate enough not to risk losing Yates. He probably fell in love with Yates' stats from his one inarguably good season. After all, some guys think that once you've seen it, it's in there - you just have to figure how to get it out.



This is essentially the arguement I've made. I don't think NH was "despaarate", but he really needed some setup help from the right side. I think Yates met the criteria of having the most potential that was available at the time, and one could make the arguement he had the ability to come back as he was entering his second year back off Tommy John.

He did well in a situational setting until collapsing, like the rest of the pen, under the weight of the rotation.

He can help you this year, again. Especially if the rotation comes around.

He won't be part of a winning club in 2011, I think.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits