Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cole???
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:00 pm 

Anyone else a bit dismayed that a guy who is supposed to be a stud workhorse of a pitcher appears to be so fragile?

Shoulder fatigue? Christ these guys are on such tight pitch counts their entire career through the minors and his shoulder gets tired before the halfway point of a season.

The late great Warren Spahn said it if of pitchers developing arm trouble way back in the 70s that "the problem is these guys don't pitch enough!"

Just my opinion

Post subject: Re: Cole???
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:28 pm 

This debate went on at another site I frequent.

A few years ago, I worked on a series of infomercials with orthopedic surgeons for Stryker Orthopedics. We interviewed over 75 doctors in 5 states over the course of about a year and a half. ALL OF THEM....preached against how pitchers are starting to throw curve balls and sliders WAY TOO YOUNG.

They all railed against travel ball too.

I think we're starting to see that overuse come to a head now in the big leagues.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Corsair wrote:
Anyone else a bit dismayed that a guy who is supposed to be a stud workhorse of a pitcher appears to be so fragile?

Shoulder fatigue? Christ these guys are on such tight pitch counts their entire career through the minors and his shoulder gets tired before the halfway point of a season.

The late great Warren Spahn said it if of pitchers developing arm trouble way back in the 70s that "the problem is these guys don't pitch enough!"

Just my opinion

I don't think guys were throwing at near max effort back in the good old days. I think they paced themselves so they could go longer and deeper in games and could throw more frequently.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:51 pm 

I just wish Cole had made at least one rehab start before stinking up the joint against the Mets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:47 pm 

Yeah but he was good against the Phillies, and that's the game I went to.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Corsair wrote:

Just my opinion

They also, as James Andrews said, pitch hundreds of innings from a young age year round basically unregulated. I'll bet Warren Spahn wasn't pitching year round for travel teams in Buffalo in the '30s.

These guys also (supposedly) throw much harder than pitchers of yesteryear. I've read accounts that from studying old films, Walter Johnson topped out at about 93.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

VanSlick wrote:
This debate went on at another site I frequent.

A few years ago, I worked on a series of infomercials with orthopedic surgeons for Stryker Orthopedics. We interviewed over 75 doctors in 5 states over the course of about a year and a half. ALL OF THEM....preached against how pitchers are starting to throw curve balls and sliders WAY TOO YOUNG.

They all railed against travel ball too.

I think we're starting to see that overuse come to a head now in the big leagues.

I see this has already been touched upon. I'm late to the party.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:30 pm 

You ever watch video / film of Walter Johnson pitch? He had such an easy motion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I have. All pitchers from back then did things differently. They were smoother and more sidearm. Supposedly it's also not recommended to warm up from a mound, and pitchers from yesteryear warmed up from flat ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 pm 

Corsair wrote:

No. Human anatomy and injures are never predictive regardless of anyone's past or makeup.

Bronson Arroyo has been the poster child for the pitcher who has always been healthy, and one many fans wanted to sign w/ the Pirates, and he recently became the next TJS victim.