Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who Says No?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I stole this one from SB Nation:

Jon Lester to the Pirates for Jameson Taillon, Stolmy Pimentel

Whew, looks like BoSox bloggers are heavily self-medicating to deal with this season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:

If you do decide that you are going to trade Taillon, they do much better than this. And Lester is going to perhaps pitch annoyed at his contract next year and not match this year's career year. This would be insane.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:51 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

And Lester is going to perhaps pitch annoyed at his contract next year and not match this year's career year.

If he does, it won't be here. He's a free agent after this year, this is his club option year with the Sox. Makes this proposal doubly insane, Pirates aren't trading Pimentel, let alone Pimentel AND Taillon for half a season of Lester. Have you seen the deals he's turning down....not even close to an extension candidate here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:55 pm 

I thought injured players can't be traded?

Or is that only MLB DL players?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 am 

bucco boy wrote:

Huntington says no while gasping for air following a laughing fit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 pm 

Fun fact, as I go through Baseball America's year-by-year Pirates draft database like the obsessive nerd I am:

The Pirates drafted Lonnie Chisenhall in the 11th round of the 2006 draft (Brad Lincoln draft).

Baseball America's scouting report:

Chisenhall served as his team's leadoff hitter and was intentionally walked in the first inning of a game this spring, a mark of the respect opponents showed him. A pure hitter with the ability to rake from the left side of the plate, Chisenhall's overall game is not polished. There are mixed reviews on his power potential, leading some observers to wonder if he is ready to make the jump to pro ball. Chisenhall is a below-average runner with sloppy footwork. A shortstop in high school, he rates as an average defender who will land at third base or possibly left field. He committed to play at South Carolina and is considered a tough sign.

Funny to look back on things. Lots of familiar names who were drafted but not signed (Trea Turner, Matt den Dekker, Chisenhall) and interesting to see the difference in approaches between this regime and the past regime. Lots of college guys signed under Littlefield.

The interesting thing about McCutchen's draft year, when they sort of bucked the trend, is that apparently the scouts had a near-mutiny over the fact that the front office was resistant to picking him and wanted a "sure thing" from college. Thank god they placated the scouts.

Also interesting to read that 1) Pedro Alvarez was Baseball America's #1 overall prospect in the 2008 draft and 2) Moskos wasn't regarded as that crappy of a prospect (although compared to Matt Wieters he was -- I'm not saying it was a good pick -- he just wasn't destined to suck like he did).

Looking at that 2008 draft's first round...yikes. The Pirates picked 2nd overall and I think you can say they probably got the 2nd best player in the draft so far. Posey is by far the best, but Beckham (#1) has yet to make it to the majors, Eric Hosmer hasn't developed yet, and all of the other "big names" are Justin Smoak, Brian Matusz, Yonder Alonso, Gordon Beckham, Ike Davis, Andrew Cashner, and Brett Lawrie. The best of the bunch might wind up being, funny enough.....Gerrit Cole, the 28th selection by the Yankees.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:16 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Looking at that 2008 draft's first round...yikes. The Pirates picked 2nd overall and I think you can say they probably got the 2nd best player in the draft so far.

I think you are correct. The 2008 draft was not deep in talent, that much is clear.

The Pirates did a pretty darn good job in a thin draft. The left side of their infield came from that draft, as did a top-end lefty reliever (Wilson in the 5th round).

Also, a kid who played Little League with my son was taken in the 3rd round by Miami. He is in AAA right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:01 am 

Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
Looking at that 2008 draft's first round...yikes. The Pirates picked 2nd overall and I think you can say they probably got the 2nd best player in the draft so far.

I think you are correct. The 2008 draft was not deep in talent, that much is clear.

The Pirates did a pretty darn good job in a thin draft. The left side of their infield came from that draft, as did a top-end lefty reliever (Wilson in the 5th round).

Also, a kid who played Little League with my son was taken in the 3rd round by Miami. He is in AAA right now.

The Pirates first six picks and seven of the first nine all had at least a cup of coffee in the majors, which I'm guessing are pretty high success numbers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:10 am 

sisyphus wrote:
The Pirates first six picks and seven of the first nine all had at least a cup of coffee in the majors, which I'm guessing are pretty high success numbers.

Absolutely true. Further, getting both a starting 3rd baseman and a starting SS, along with a very good lefty relief pitcher (who deals at 97 mph), is a decent draft for the thin quality available.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 pm 

More Lester talk...

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/pirates/pirates-interested-in-lester-maybe-more-from-red-sox/article_278710eb-b95e-5fc8-a0ca-d1b4c71d0439.html#.U9hFjHSbvXE.facebook