All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates place 5 in Baseball America's Top 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:00 am 

21. Tyler Glasnow
24. Jameson Tallon
35. Josh Bell
37. Nick Kingham
43. Austin Meadows

Trying to figure out Baseball Prospectus' Top 50. Will update.

Post subject: Re: Pirates place 5 in Baseball America's Top 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:40 am 

Awesome. No top 20 guys, but we'll take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:58 am 

According to Tim Williams, they placed 4 in BP's top 50.

Taillon (26)
Glasnow (31)
Bell (39) -- (big jump from 77 previously, not surprising considering season he's having)
Kingham (43) -- (also huge jump from 80)

Jason Parks had said last week that there would be 5 Pirates in top 50, and Williams notes that McGuire was in the mix, so maybe he was cut off at the last minute. BP's system after all is very comprehensive and Parks has a lot of scouts under him and they all have to come to agreement for the rankings. Meadows almost assuredly missed out because of the injury, as BP states that they only rank based on what they're actually seeing, i.e. 2014 draftees not being on the list.

In fact, today's daily Effectively Wild BP podcast features Parks talking about the top 50: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=24079. Some very interesting talking points such as how badly Appel has bombed, Buxton's injury, and how 2014 draft picks like Aiken would rank based on pure project-ability.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm 

I have a problem with these prospect rankings in general. To my view, a guy needs to have at least a year of experience as a pro before he even gets consideration for a list like this.

Meadows has only begun to play this year, and the new guy Tucker is already a Top 20 prospect? I find this a bit absurd.

That's just me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:03 am 

Corsair wrote:
I have a problem with these prospect rankings in general. To my view, a guy needs to have at least a year of experience as a pro before he even gets consideration for a list like this.

Meadows has only begun to play this year, and the new guy Tucker is already a Top 20 prospect? I find this a bit absurd.

Where are you seeing Tucker listed as a top 20 prospect? He won't be ranked anywhere close to that. He wasn't even a consensus top 50 player in his own draft class ... was actually in the 80-ish range on lists besides Keith Law's.

Anyway, lists like BP's (listed above) use a similar criteria and don't rank previous year's draftees due to the lack of pro experience, as their staff does a ton of in-person scouting in addition to relying on reports.

Also, even if someone like Meadows gets leeway for a high ranking based on their draft profile/original draft spot (best or second best OF taken in last year's draft) but without much experience due to injury, they will be dropped if the pro results don't subsequently pan out. See also: Glasnow now surpassing Taillon in some lists, and Taillon in general dropping from a consensus top 10 to the 20-30 range.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:05 am 

I meant Pirates Top 20 not nationally. But even so. No guy should make either list until he has a year of pro ball under his belt. Just my opinion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:23 am 
 WWW  Profile

Corsair wrote:
I meant Pirates Top 20 not nationally. But even so. No guy should make either list until he has a year of pro ball under his belt. Just my opinion

There are a few sites that do indeed wait until they have played a year before ranking them. It makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:06 pm 

Corsair wrote:
I meant Pirates Top 20 not nationally.

I wouldn't rank him too highly in the organization yet myself, just too raw at that age, and fielding the most demanding defensive position, have to see how it translates in pro ball. And there's already nice SS depth with Hanson and JaCoby Jones having a breakout year.

I don't really have a problem with going ahead and throwing him on the lower end of the top 20 though, ahead of someone like Luis Heredia who's looking less and less like a legitimate prospect. The consensus lower end of that list would also include players like Lambo who project to already have a very limited impact on the future, or a relief pitcher like Sadler. We'll see what happens ... the overall look at the system will be a lot different next year with Polanco and Taillon graduated and the focus shifting more on the emergence of Glasnow, Kingham, Meadows, McGuire and Bell as they reach the higher levels.