Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates @ Cardinals 7/7 - 7/10
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:34 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Is there a reason Vin Mazzaro is not up and Justin Wilson is still here? Besides the lefty thing.

Wilson still has trade value. I say do it and see if Oliver can do it at the major league level. If not, try Wilk. If not, just go with one lefty.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:36 am 

That said, yeah, I'd like to see Mazzaro, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:17 am 

For those who have lost all faith, it's worth remembering that the Pirates won 4/5 against the Cardinals last July and still finished three games behind him in the race for the division crown.

There's a long way to go, Pirates fans...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:40 am 

Was that supposed to make me feel better? :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:07 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
For those who have lost all faith, it's worth remembering that the Pirates won 4/5 against the Cardinals last July and still finished three games behind him in the race for the division crown.

There's a long way to go, Pirates fans...

While I agree because of these factors:
First base can't get a lot worse so we should see an increase in production there.
Pedro is bound to get really hot at some point.
Marte should pick it up(maybe having closure with his family situation will help him).
Polanco should find some consistency.
Pitching will get better(specifically Liriano)

I also think that their -7 run diff. is a bad sign. Sometimes those hot streaks just don't come. Sometimes you have a bad season getting key hits. In other words, it is possible that they are what they are. At this point I'm staying optimistic, but not overly...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:43 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
While I agree because of these factors:
First base can't get a lot worse so we should see an increase in production there.
Pedro is bound to get really hot at some point.
Marte should pick it up(maybe having closure with his family situation will help him).
Polanco should find some consistency.
Pitching will get better(specifically Liriano)

I also think that their -7 run diff. is a bad sign. Sometimes those hot streaks just don't come. Sometimes you have a bad season getting key hits. In other words, it is possible that they are what they are. At this point I'm staying optimistic, but not overly...

You are a glass-half-full kind of guy I'm guessing. While I am in agreement with points 1 and 2, and I hope that 3 works out to Marte's best interest, I am not at all confident of the last 2. Polanco is a rookie. Expect just as many ups and downs for a while. And as for Liriano, well, let's just say that the sad, quick demise of Wandy makes me skittish. OK, Cole going down again makes me skittish too.

My concern is that maybe no one, other than Harrison, makes the leap this year. Winning teams usually have a couple of factors that correlate to them winning: the first, obviously, is good health. This is mostly luck, and many times beyond someone's control, but the first criterion for greatness is availability. And the second is that a number of players have to have career, or near career, years. Cutch had an awesome June and seems to be playing at last year's MVP level. And Harrison is playing very well and having a breakout year. And Walker is good and if I had to rank order the bats in the lineup, I'd say he's second. And Polanco is an upgrade over Snider/Tabata. Other than that, Alvarez, Martin, & Mercer are average at best, and other than Cole, we have some seriously weak bats in the 9 slot.

This must be a difficult team to pitch for in that I'm sure the pitcher might never feel comfortable about getting 3 runs of support. I know we average better, but it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes.

I've been on this board for almost two years now, and paying more attention than I typically do, and this team still feels very much like a team on the margin. And it shouldn't. Because we're no longer starting Barmes and Barajas. But it still seems to me, as we approach the All Star break, that more stars have to align than not for this team to make a run to the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 pm 

Pirates need to get there heads out of there asses, and right now starting tonight. These are vital games. Three games with the reds and they need to get a w tonight to avoid a 4 game sweep.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:58 pm 

Finally a couple big hits! In other news Ike Davis is......not good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:40 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Pirates need to get there heads out of there asses, and right now starting tonight. These are vital games. Three games with the reds and they need to get a w tonight to avoid a 4 game sweep.

Looks like your hopes have been answered. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:31 pm 

Great win tonight, lousy series. Volquez pitched a gem. And brewers and reds lost too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:34 pm 

Pirates lost the series, but somehow gained ground in the division.

Take what's given.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:41 am 

Good point. Let's face it. They were very close to winning three of four. They go 1-3 but were a +3 in run differential.

The bigger story of this series was Morton and Volquez. These guys are becoming very reliable and that has what has been the driving factor to the turn around.