Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Huntington Must Go, Day #1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:55 pm 

After just 17 months on the job, even the casual fan should now realize Neal Huntington (from this point forward to be called "Opie") is not cut out to be a major league general manager. Perhaps he could be a decent scouting director as he's shown the ability to decently evaluate talent. But there's simply no way he has a clue how to rebuild a major league baseball team. He's not only made a lenghtly list of costly mistakes rebuilding teams can't afford to make, but more importantly, has missed several opportunities to make the Pirates better. Below is a list of his biggest gaffes to date:

1. Went into the 2008 season with essentially the 2007 season

2. Keeping the Littlefieldian mindset of acquiring major league ready talent

3. Acquired a soon-to-be waived 30 year old relief pitcher for a 23 year old starter with pretty good numbers

4. He won't insist on playing Pearce everyday

5. He gave back Kontos and Coke for two lesser prospects on some flimsy injury basis that has yet to manifest

6. Protecting Steve Lerud on the 40-man roster and Raul Chavez over guys like Jamie Romak and Kyle Bloom

7. The wasted signing of Byung-Hyun Kim

8. Trying to screw around with Boras during the Alvarez situation

9. Failing to sign any more top ten picks than he did

10. Having no sense of urgency whatsoever.

11. Being incapable of taking advantage of situations like the Rule V draft, acquiring arbitration-eligible players for pennies on the dollar, etc.

12. Not moving Jack Wilson after the 2007 season

13. Not moving Jack Wilson during last season's trade deadline

14. Not moving Jack Wilson this offseason

15. Already mentions low payroll as an excuse.

16. Has an absolute FEAR of just finally blowing the thing up and starting over. Continues to think that by selling a piece here, a piece there, we'll suddenly get good. Blow the thing up already- how much better are Wilson, Grabow, Sanchez, etc. really making this team?

17. Refusing to fill the bench in with youngish, "AAAA" high-risk/high-reward type players. Stocks it instead with old veterans that would give Littlefield serious branch

18. Has yet to make a trade in which he is considered the unequivocal "winner."

19. His over fascination with power arms. Opposed to Dave Littlefield, who liked soft tossing lefties, Opie simply loves guys that throw hard. As I think it's a step in the right direction, NH appears to ignore all other aspects of the pitcher's performance, like the ability to actually get hitters out, while getting a boner for guys who throw 97.

20. His abnormal fascination with aging vets who provide nothing more than filling a spot on the roster for one year. Jason Michaels, Luis Rivas, Chris Gomez, Doug Meintiwicz, Ramon Vazquez, Craig Monroe, and Eric Hinske did and do absolutely nothing to improve the Pirates.

Post subject: Re: Huntington Must Go, Day #1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:01 pm 

If I have insomnia tonite, Im gonna have this read to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:03 pm 

You lost me at "Alex P. Keaton."

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:10 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:

Now thats freakin funny!!!

I wonder what Mallory thinks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:12 pm 

Kingston wrote:

Great Scott, Marty....We Need to go back to the Future!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:16 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Great Scott, Marty....We Need to go back to the Future!!!

LOL!! One of my faves, baby!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:57 pm 

The Flux Capacitor. Hellllloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:17 pm 

Alex P. Keaton wrote:
After just 17 months on the job, even the casual fan should now realize Neal Huntington (from this point forward to be called "Opie") is not cut out to be a major league general manager. Perhaps he could be a decent scouting director as he's shown the ability to decently evaluate talent. But there's simply no way he has a clue how to rebuild a major league baseball team. He's not only made a lenghtly list of costly mistakes rebuilding teams can't afford to make, but more importantly, has missed several opportunities to make the Pirates better. Below is a list of his biggest gaffes to date:

1. Went into the 2008 season with essentially the 2007 season

2. Keeping the Littlefieldian mindset of acquiring major league ready talent

3. Acquired a soon-to-be waived 30 year old relief pitcher for a 23 year old starter with pretty good numbers

4. He won't insist on playing Pearce everyday

5. He gave back Kontos and Coke for two lesser prospects on some flimsy injury basis that has yet to manifest

6. Protecting Steve Lerud on the 40-man roster and Raul Chavez over guys like Jamie Romak and Kyle Bloom

7. The wasted signing of Byung-Hyun Kim

8. Trying to screw around with Boras during the Alvarez situation

9. Failing to sign any more top ten picks than he did

10. Having no sense of urgency whatsoever.

11. Being incapable of taking advantage of situations like the Rule V draft, acquiring arbitration-eligible players for pennies on the dollar, etc.

12. Not moving Jack Wilson after the 2007 season

13. Not moving Jack Wilson during last season's trade deadline

14. Not moving Jack Wilson this offseason

15. Already mentions low payroll as an excuse.

16. Has an absolute FEAR of just finally blowing the thing up and starting over. Continues to think that by selling a piece here, a piece there, we'll suddenly get good. Blow the thing up already- how much better are Wilson, Grabow, Sanchez, etc. really making this team?

17. Refusing to fill the bench in with youngish, "AAAA" high-risk/high-reward type players. Stocks it instead with old veterans that would give Littlefield serious branch

18. Has yet to make a trade in which he is considered the unequivocal "winner."

19. His over fascination with power arms. Opposed to Dave Littlefield, who liked soft tossing lefties, Opie simply loves guys that throw hard. As I think it's a step in the right direction, NH appears to ignore all other aspects of the pitcher's performance, like the ability to actually get hitters out, while getting a boner for guys who throw 97.

20. His abnormal fascination with aging vets who provide nothing more than filling a spot on the roster for one year. Jason Michaels, Luis Rivas, Chris Gomez, Doug Meintiwicz, Ramon Vazquez, Craig Monroe, and Eric Hinske did and do absolutely nothing to improve the Pirates.

This incredibly negative post is much ado about nothing.

(hides)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:09 pm 

How can anyone rate Hungington as a GM and not even mention Bay or Nady or their trades? There is no way to assass his ability when you ignore the two moves which impact the future of the team the most. Agree or disagree all you want but don't think yourself as credible unless you count the big moves.

BTW I agree it's much ado about nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
How can anyone rate Hungington as a GM and not even mention Bay or Nady or their trades? There is no way to assass his ability when you ignore the two moves which impact the future of the team the most. Agree or disagree all you want but don't think yourself as credible unless you count the big moves.

You mean the two trades involving the Pirates most valuable trading chips that netted them:

- A reliever who couldn't hit the side of a barn in Hansen
- An player destined to be nothing more than a 4th outfielder in Moss
- 3 absurdly mediocre to poor 26 year old pitchers in Karstens, Ohlendorf, and McCutchen.
- A thirdbaseman who hit an an incredible .154 last season in LaRoche II
- A pitcher coming off T.J. surgery in Morris

So sweet, the Pirates got 6 players who have a better chance of being out the league in three years than they do being productive MLB players and one potential starter in Tabata.

And much ado about nothing? That list gives more than enough red flags that Opie has no friggin clue what he's doing. And I didn't even include his idea of signing Luis Gonzalez. That alone should have gotten him fired. Or how about the fact he claims Adam Dunn isn't in their budget. This team still refuses to go over 50 million for a payroll. But because they spent an extra 2 million on the draft, all of a sudden we're supposed to believe the owners are willing to spend money?

Keep drinking the Kool Aid, dood.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:20 pm 

Keep drinking the Kool-aid, DOOD???

Now you are just being ROOD!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:29 pm 

Alex P. Keaton wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

You mean the two trades involving the Pirates most valuable trading chips that netted them:

- 3 absurdly mediocre to poor 26 year old pitchers in Karstens, Ohlendorf, and McCutchen.

So sweet, the Pirates got 6 players who have a better chance of being out the league in three years than they do being productive MLB players and one potential starter in Tabata.

And much ado about nothing? That list gives more than enough red flags that Opie has no friggin clue what he's doing. And I didn't even include his idea of signing Luis Gonzalez. That alone should have gotten him fired. Or how about the fact he claims Adam Dunn isn't in their budget. This team still refuses to go over 50 million for a payroll. But because they spent an extra 2 million on the draft, all of a sudden we're supposed to believe the owners are willing to spend money?

MMMMMMMMM cherry for me!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:42 pm 

Based on the lack of an intelligent response, I can only assume nobody has a decent rebuttal.

Too bad as I heard there were some knowledgable baseball fans here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm 

Well, excuse us for not taking a dullard and troll seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:14 pm 

Alex P. Keaton wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

You kindly forgot to mention the acquistion of Tabata...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:21 pm 

I am glad you are not our GM, Alex. Who do you think you can get from any players we trade? Who was going to give us anything valuable for Jack Wilson last year? You gotta sell high and buy low on some players if you stand a chance at getting lucky in this market. I am glad we have no "sense of urgency," because there will be no quick fixes that will work with this team. We have to wait and see on some players if they can stay healthy and bounce back (jack, freddy) and maybe then we can trade them for some players of value. No other major league team will give you anything for your players if they know you need to unload them at low values.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:22 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Alex P. Keaton wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

You kindly forgot to mention the acquistion of Tabata...

Umm.......no I didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:30 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
I am glad you are not our GM, Alex. Who do you think you can get from any players we trade? Who was going to give us anything valuable for Jack Wilson last year? You gotta sell high and buy low on some players if you stand a chance at getting lucky in this market. I am glad we have no "sense of urgency," because there will be no quick fixes that will work with this team. We have to wait and see on some players if they can stay healthy and bounce back (jack, freddy) and maybe then we can trade them for some players of value. No other major league team will give you anything for your players if they know you need to unload them at low values.

What are you talking about? In 2007 Jack Wilson was coming off a second half where he batted .356. His value at that time was higher than it had been since his 2004 season. Why wasn't he dealt then? Then this past offseason, there were at least two team in contention looking for a shortstop, the Dodgers and Red Sox. Why wasn't he dealt then? Then this past offseason, it's rumored the Dodgers were willing to to give up Hu and Young for Wilson. That would have been more than a fair deal. Unfortunately Opie demanded a third player.

So instead of getting something in return for Wilson, they will now enter the 2009 season with a 31 year old shortstop with a career OPS+ of 78 and who is the highest paid Pirate who will likely walk away after the season leaving the Pirates with nothing. Sweet.

It's that lack of urgency coupled with wasting time on worthless garbage like Jason Michaels, Luis Rivas, Ramon Vazquez while trading 22 year old starting pitching prospects for worthless 30 year old relievers that will kill any chance of an organization to rebuild.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:37 pm 

Right. And if he took Hu and Young youd be trashing him for that. Thats how the troll game is played, isnt it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:41 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Right. And if he took Hu and Young youd be trashing him for that. Thats how the troll game is played, isnt it?

Intelligent response. You still have yet to make even on single post in rebuttal to anything I have said. Currently the score stands:

Alex P. Keaton - 3
Kingston - 0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next