Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:39 pm 

this year's version of Us last year. These were the kind of games we used to win, but no more. Our guys blow it in the 9th or fail to hit with the game on the line.

Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:45 pm 

Pirates took a nap in this game. It might cost them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:51 pm 

How about walking 5 more this inning?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:53 pm 

I just hope they lose now, Marlins hit a homer in the next at bat and get it over with, rather than have it drag on till the 19th as they get 17 hits and no runs and Cutch, Marte and Polanco all suffer season ending injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm 

I just hope they lose now, Marlins hit a homer in the next at bat and get it over with, rather than have it drag on till the 19th as they get 17 hits and no runs and Cutch, Marte and Polanco all suffer season ending injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:56 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:58 pm 

Corsair wrote:

It won't get to the 19th. Marlins went to the pen pretty early and they're gonna have to throw Morris sooner or later. :lol:

Wonder who Clint is going to keep stashed while he manages for the save.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:51 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:

Fascinating that Clint managed the pen pretty much like Sabre guys say he should - pulled Wilson pretty early, pulled Grilli from a "save" opportunity, used Melancon while the game was still in doubt ... and they failed to hold the lead.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:25 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

Fascinating that Clint managed the pen pretty much like Sabre guys say he should - pulled Wilson pretty early, pulled Grilli from a "save" opportunity, used Melancon while the game was still in doubt ... and they failed to hold the lead.

Should've gone straight from Wilson to Melancon, he's your best available guy. Grilli should be more of a 7th inning option at this point (or, a guy that isn't used in overly leveraged situations ideally). Melancon and Watson have really separated themselves, and Wilson has been slightly better but matchups might dictate a righty being better than a lefty at times.

That's just how I think he should've done it. Shouldn't have gone to Grilli just because a save situation presented itself. He needs to get him out of the closer role if he's going to hamstring himself like that, he's performed below replacement level this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:39 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

Should've gone straight from Wilson to Melancon, he's your best available guy. Grilli should be more of a 7th inning option at this point (or, a guy that isn't used in overly leveraged situations ideally). Melancon and Watson have really separated themselves, and Wilson has been slightly better but matchups might dictate a righty being better than a lefty at times.

That's just how I think he should've done it. Shouldn't have gone to Grilli just because a save situation presented itself. He needs to get him out of the closer role if he's going to hamstring himself like that, he's performed below replacement level this year.

Before last night's poor performance, Grilli had pitched in 8 games since coming off the DL. He didn't have a great outing against the Dodgers but was very solid in the other 7 appearances. Whether or not anyone thinks that Grilli is the team's "closer" or best relief pitcher, it is not unreasonable for any manager to expect his 7th inning, 8th inning or 9th inning relief pitcher to close the door with a four run lead and runners on first and second with one out.

It is clear that Hurdle continues to to believe that Grilli is his "closer." Does that make me nervous at times? Yes. Absolutely. But . . . May is not too far in my rear view mirror to forget that Melancon wasn't exactly dominant when he served in the closer role with Grilli on the DL.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:28 pm 

They all crapped the bed in the 9th last night……. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:16 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

Speaking as a SABR guy, no way I'm bringing Grilli on in the middle of an inning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
Speaking as a SABR guy, no way I'm bringing Grilli on in the middle of an inning.

I was thinking along these lines as well. Not Sabr, but I believe that Grilli and Melancen are both best pitching "clean" innings. They are not nearly as good inheriting runners. By what I've seen this year so far, once Wilson was in trouble, your two best options are Watson and Hughes. You can't pitch Watson in 162 games, so your best bet last night, with runners on, would have been Hughes and the slobber-snarl. He's been the best this year with inherited runners.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:59 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I was thinking along these lines as well. Not Sabr, but I believe that Grilli and Melancen are both best pitching "clean" innings. They are not nearly as good inheriting runners. By what I've seen this year so far, once Wilson was in trouble, your two best options are Watson and Hughes. You can't pitch Watson in 162 games, so your best bet last night, with runners on, would have been Hughes and the slobber-snarl. He's been the best this year with inherited runners.

ZM

I agree with you on Hughes, but I believe that he had pitched in three of the previous four games.