Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1590
this year's version of Us last year. These were the kind of games we used to win, but no more. Our guys blow it in the 9th or fail to hit with the game on the line.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:45 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2230
Pirates took a nap in this game. It might cost them.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
How about walking 5 more this inning?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1590
I just hope they lose now, Marlins hit a homer in the next at bat and get it over with, rather than have it drag on till the 19th as they get 17 hits and no runs and Cutch, Marte and Polanco all suffer season ending injuries.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1590
I just hope they lose now, Marlins hit a homer in the next at bat and get it over with, rather than have it drag on till the 19th as they get 17 hits and no runs and Cutch, Marte and Polanco all suffer season ending injuries.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1590
I just hope they lose now, Marlins hit a homer in the next at bat and get it over with, rather than have it drag on till the 19th as they get 17 hits and no runs and Cutch, Marte and Polanco all suffer season ending injuries.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:56 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6301
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:58 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Tejas
Corsair wrote:
I just hope they lose now, Marlins hit a homer in the next at bat and get it over with, rather than have it drag on till the 19th as they get 17 hits and no runs and Cutch, Marte and Polanco all suffer season ending injuries.


It won't get to the 19th. Marlins went to the pen pretty early and they're gonna have to throw Morris sooner or later. :lol:

Wonder who Clint is going to keep stashed while he manages for the save.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
StarlingArcher wrote:
Wonder who Clint is going to keep stashed while he manages for the save.

Fascinating that Clint managed the pen pretty much like Sabre guys say he should - pulled Wilson pretty early, pulled Grilli from a "save" opportunity, used Melancon while the game was still in doubt ... and they failed to hold the lead.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Tejas
Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
Wonder who Clint is going to keep stashed while he manages for the save.

Fascinating that Clint managed the pen pretty much like Sabre guys say he should - pulled Wilson pretty early, pulled Grilli from a "save" opportunity, used Melancon while the game was still in doubt ... and they failed to hold the lead.


Should've gone straight from Wilson to Melancon, he's your best available guy. Grilli should be more of a 7th inning option at this point (or, a guy that isn't used in overly leveraged situations ideally). Melancon and Watson have really separated themselves, and Wilson has been slightly better but matchups might dictate a righty being better than a lefty at times.

That's just how I think he should've done it. Shouldn't have gone to Grilli just because a save situation presented itself. He needs to get him out of the closer role if he's going to hamstring himself like that, he's performed below replacement level this year.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5902
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
StarlingArcher wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
Wonder who Clint is going to keep stashed while he manages for the save.

Fascinating that Clint managed the pen pretty much like Sabre guys say he should - pulled Wilson pretty early, pulled Grilli from a "save" opportunity, used Melancon while the game was still in doubt ... and they failed to hold the lead.


Should've gone straight from Wilson to Melancon, he's your best available guy. Grilli should be more of a 7th inning option at this point (or, a guy that isn't used in overly leveraged situations ideally). Melancon and Watson have really separated themselves, and Wilson has been slightly better but matchups might dictate a righty being better than a lefty at times.

That's just how I think he should've done it. Shouldn't have gone to Grilli just because a save situation presented itself. He needs to get him out of the closer role if he's going to hamstring himself like that, he's performed below replacement level this year.


Before last night's poor performance, Grilli had pitched in 8 games since coming off the DL. He didn't have a great outing against the Dodgers but was very solid in the other 7 appearances. Whether or not anyone thinks that Grilli is the team's "closer" or best relief pitcher, it is not unreasonable for any manager to expect his 7th inning, 8th inning or 9th inning relief pitcher to close the door with a four run lead and runners on first and second with one out.

It is clear that Hurdle continues to to believe that Grilli is his "closer." Does that make me nervous at times? Yes. Absolutely. But . . . May is not too far in my rear view mirror to forget that Melancon wasn't exactly dominant when he served in the closer role with Grilli on the DL.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:28 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6301
They all crapped the bed in the 9th last night……. 8-) 8-) 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5558
Location: Pittsburgh
Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
Wonder who Clint is going to keep stashed while he manages for the save.

Fascinating that Clint managed the pen pretty much like Sabre guys say he should - pulled Wilson pretty early, pulled Grilli from a "save" opportunity, used Melancon while the game was still in doubt ... and they failed to hold the lead.

Speaking as a SABR guy, no way I'm bringing Grilli on in the middle of an inning.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4293
Location: Zelienople, PA
sisyphus wrote:
Speaking as a SABR guy, no way I'm bringing Grilli on in the middle of an inning.


I was thinking along these lines as well. Not Sabr, but I believe that Grilli and Melancen are both best pitching "clean" innings. They are not nearly as good inheriting runners. By what I've seen this year so far, once Wilson was in trouble, your two best options are Watson and Hughes. You can't pitch Watson in 162 games, so your best bet last night, with runners on, would have been Hughes and the slobber-snarl. He's been the best this year with inherited runners.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Face it guys the Marlins are.....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5558
Location: Pittsburgh
ZelieMike wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Speaking as a SABR guy, no way I'm bringing Grilli on in the middle of an inning.


I was thinking along these lines as well. Not Sabr, but I believe that Grilli and Melancen are both best pitching "clean" innings. They are not nearly as good inheriting runners. By what I've seen this year so far, once Wilson was in trouble, your two best options are Watson and Hughes. You can't pitch Watson in 162 games, so your best bet last night, with runners on, would have been Hughes and the slobber-snarl. He's been the best this year with inherited runners.

ZM

I agree with you on Hughes, but I believe that he had pitched in three of the previous four games.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], val and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits