Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Pirates @ Marlins - 6/13-6/15
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:10 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Alverez is playing himself off the field when Walker returns, and you can move JaHay to 3b.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:46 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Not running Cutch with runners on corners early in game.
Pitching to McGahee in 10th.
Two very questionable and passive strategic choices.

I was more mad about pitching to him in the 8th. Jones up against a lefty would've been nice. They had nobody on their bench to scare you.

While I recognize that Jones is brutal against left handed pitchers, I don't have any issue with Hurdle choosing not to intentionally walk McGehee with two outs and runners on first and second base.

(1) Watson had just struck out Reed Johnson and Giancarlo Stanton on 7 total pitches.
(2) Watson's numbers against RHB are very solid even better than and LHB.
(3) You have an outfield playing deep and occupied by gazelles. McGehee is going to need to hit the ball in a perfect location to get a double (which, unfortunately, he did).
(4) An intentional walk puts the tying run on second base. Only a single is needed.
(5) Force play is on for third base, second base and first base.
(6) A single wouldn't have hurt you in that situation.

So . . . again, I "get" the notion that you walk McGehee to get to Jones. If it was Stanton at the plate, I'd be right there with you. The decision to pitch to McGehee in the 8th just didn't bother me. Watson just missed his spot and missed it in a really bad location when facing a hitter like McGehee. Would have rather seen him miss outside and low as opposed to over the middle of the plate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:24 am 

I hear you, I guess I just don't like Jones' batted ball profile as much as McGehee's when it comes to a sac fly. He hits more fly balls than McGehee, fewer infield fly balls despite that fact, and has a LD% less than 1% less.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:38 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
I hear you, I guess I just don't like Jones' batted ball profile as much as McGehee's when it comes to a sac fly. He hits more fly balls than McGehee, fewer infield fly balls despite that fact, and has a LD% less than 1% less.

My play in the 10th would have been to get Melancon and Wilson up and throwing as soon as the first runner got on base. When the wild pitch was thrown, a slow walk by Martin to "coordinate signs" with Hughes, followed by a slow walk by Searage to "discuss strategy," followed by a four pitch intentional walk (accompanied by a step off or two by Hughes to buy time for Wilson if necessary) and then have Jones face Wilson with the bases juiced. Would be looking for a K in that situation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6