Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: It's the Pitching, Stupid!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
Corsair wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
. The Philly firesale ought to be in full swing by then.



Hmmmm. AJ Burnett back for the stretch run anyone? ;)

Too good a chance that the hernia will force him into surgery, and he's not pitching all that great, probably because of the hernia. I'd pass on AJ, and I'm guessing that Hurdle and Searage would agree, but for other reasons.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's the Pitching, Stupid!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
Fangraphs says we're the best hitting team. It must be true.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/the-surprising-best-hitting-team-of-2014/

And I know Starling Archer said this just the other day.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's the Pitching, Stupid!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2499
Location: Tejas
2nd best OBP in baseball, PNC is once again the worst park in the majors for HR. So they get some nice boosts there when you adjust for OBP's greater weight and also park factors.

They're probably about 7 games below .500 without the offense performing as it has. The offense's sustainability is probaby another issue (Russ has the inflated BABIP, what happens to Jay Hay, how long until Walker declines, etc.).

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's the Pitching, Stupid!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
StarlingArcher wrote:
2nd best OBP in baseball, PNC is once again the worst park in the majors for HR. So they get some nice boosts there when you adjust for OBP's greater weight and also park factors.

They're probably about 7 games below .500 without the offense performing as it has. The offense's sustainability is probaby another issue (Russ has the inflated BABIP, what happens to Jay Hay, how long until Walker declines, etc.).

Martin is gone even if they re-sign him, because he's probably never going to repeat this season offensively. Best we'd be able to hope for next year is all of the outstanding defense, and a hitter who is a bit below the major league average. Not a bad thing to have behind the plate, mind you, but he'll be getting paid like a good hitter.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's the Pitching, Stupid!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:53 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2499
Location: Tejas
Yeah I in know way consider him a .290 hitter. That said, he's probably a .235-.250 hitter who takes a ton of walks which has some value.

If he gets paid like a .290 hitter though, yeah he's gone. Much like Burnett last year I'd expect them to look at his peripherals and not match the offers.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's the Pitching, Stupid!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:34 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1444
Location: Eastern Shore
That's a big part of my frustration. We're squandering career type years at the plate from Martin and Harrison.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's the Pitching, Stupid!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:57 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
sisyphus wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
2nd best OBP in baseball, PNC is once again the worst park in the majors for HR. So they get some nice boosts there when you adjust for OBP's greater weight and also park factors.

They're probably about 7 games below .500 without the offense performing as it has. The offense's sustainability is probaby another issue (Russ has the inflated BABIP, what happens to Jay Hay, how long until Walker declines, etc.).

Martin is gone even if they re-sign him, because he's probably never going to repeat this season offensively. Best we'd be able to hope for next year is all of the outstanding defense, and a hitter who is a bit below the major league average. Not a bad thing to have behind the plate, mind you, but he'll be getting paid like a good hitter.


Seriously, he's gone even if we sign him? Does that mean he plays for us even if he signs somewhere else?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: It's the Pitching, Stupid!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5430
Location: Pittsburgh
Ralphie wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
2nd best OBP in baseball, PNC is once again the worst park in the majors for HR. So they get some nice boosts there when you adjust for OBP's greater weight and also park factors.

They're probably about 7 games below .500 without the offense performing as it has. The offense's sustainability is probaby another issue (Russ has the inflated BABIP, what happens to Jay Hay, how long until Walker declines, etc.).

Martin is gone even if they re-sign him, because he's probably never going to repeat this season offensively. Best we'd be able to hope for next year is all of the outstanding defense, and a hitter who is a bit below the major league average. Not a bad thing to have behind the plate, mind you, but he'll be getting paid like a good hitter.


Seriously, he's gone even if we sign him? Does that mean he plays for us even if he signs somewhere else?

No, it means that if you want to pay him to repeat this season, you're going to be disappointed, because he's almost certainly going to go from a season at the plate that is worthy of a Hall of Famer back to being an average major league hitter, or a bit worse. You're seeing his career year. They're going to have to look elsewhere to replace the offense that he's going to lose even if they re-sign him. Of course, if they don't re-sign him, they're going to have to look elsewhere to replace his defense as well. But paying him an amount that would be reasonable for this year's production would be insane.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], NSMaster56 and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits