Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4242
Location: Zelienople, PA
He looked this lost when he first came up to Altoona.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
ZelieMike wrote:
He looked this lost when he first came up to Altoona.


He gradually improved throughout the entire season and ending up riding a scorching hot August (.393/.437/.650) to win the AA batting title, but he never struggled as badly as he he has this season, a well below average 92 OPS+ through over 200 ABs.

Coming into this year, it was clear that Marte's success rode squarely on if he could get his plate discipline in check. His OBP would not continue to be boosted by getting hit by pitches like last year. So far this year, his K% if actually worse than last year (a terrible 28.2%). If that doesn't improve, it will be extremely difficult for him to post an OBP anywhere close to what he did in the minors.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:46 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2123
The book is in. Hard fastball in, slider down and away. He has tremendous bat speed but he's at a point where he's looking away and that'll lock him up. He himself knows he can't pick up the spin.

Trouble brewing. To the cage to spend extra time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:02 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2229
Marte got that big contract, so I highly doubt he go back to the minors. But it could certainly help him. He does dumb shit every game.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:08 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3656
Location: Economy, PA
buccosfan77 wrote:
The book is in. Hard fastball in, slider down and away. He has tremendous bat speed but he's at a point where he's looking away and that'll lock him up. He himself knows he can't pick up the spin.

Trouble brewing. To the cage to spend extra time.


Breaking balls in the dirt all day long is all you need to get Marte out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10728
Ralphie wrote:
Breaking balls in the dirt all day long is all you need to get Marte out.

This generates good news/bad news, Ralphie.

The bad news: Marte read this, is ticked, and will take a swing at you.

The good news: He will miss.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5118
Location: Washington, DC
What's sad is that this was Marte's first at-bat in the big leagues, and we haven't seen any improvement.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1592
Bucfan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Breaking balls in the dirt all day long is all you need to get Marte out.

This generates good news/bad news, Ralphie.

The bad news: Marte read this, is ticked, and will take a swing at you.

The good news: He will miss.


Ha!

He seems to have this care free swagger about him that bothers me. He'll do something stupid on the bases or K BADLY and has this smirk that doesn't show that he is upset with himself.

Maybe it's me reading too much into it, but he bops around like he hasn't a care in the world.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10728
VanSlick wrote:
Maybe it's me reading too much into it, but he bops around like he hasn't a care in the world.

He gets paid millions of dollars to swing at and chase a little white ball, six months out of the year.

So, yeah, I can understand his line of thinking.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1592
Bucfan wrote:
VanSlick wrote:
Maybe it's me reading too much into it, but he bops around like he hasn't a care in the world.

He gets paid millions of dollars to swing at and chase a little white ball, six months out of the year.

So, yeah, I can understand his line of thinking.


chase being the operative word.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:47 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm
Posts: 567
Wow...Marte's OBP is now lower than Pedro's.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5118
Location: Washington, DC
I think we'll definitely see J-Hay in left field quite a bit once the #PolancoMonster arrives...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1585
J_C_Steel wrote:
I think we'll definitely see J-Hay in left field quite a bit once the #PolancoMonster arrives...



I was thinking the exact same thing, although I would put Polanco in left field, better range to cover that mammoth expanse.

That would send a message and it would solve the "What do we do with J Hay when Polanco comes up?" question.

I do not want to see Harrison out of that lineup or out of the lead off position any time soon.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:39 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1446
Location: Eastern Shore
Corsair wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
I think we'll definitely see J-Hay in left field quite a bit once the #PolancoMonster arrives...



I was thinking the exact same thing, although I would put Polanco in left field, better range to cover that mammoth expanse.

That would send a message and it would solve the "What do we do with J Hay when Polanco comes up?" question.

I do not want to see Harrison out of that lineup or out of the lead off position any time soon.

Me too. Harrison's earned it. And if you won't reward on-field excellence, that sends a dangerous signal throughout the clubhouse.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:38 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2583
Absolutely. Even if you have to bump Harrison down to #7 in the order, you keep starting him in right field.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10728
Concur that Harrison has to continue playing. Hurdle mentioned that Marte is still struggling with back pain from the injury that put him on the bench for a couple of game, so a move to the DL may be in order.

No way the Pirates can sit their hottest hitter - and a guy who has been raking for a month. With Harrison in the line-up, the order could be this:

Harrison RH
Polanco LH
McCutchen RH
Davis LH
Walker SH
Martin RH
Alvarez LH
Mercer RH

Mixing up the lefty/righty batters, 3 LH bats, 4 RH bats, Neil as a SH'er.

I like it. That line-up could score some runs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4242
Location: Zelienople, PA
I find this all to be strawmen arguments. JH will get his AB's, but he is a limited player who is having a hot streak right now. That is all. Polanco and Marte are potential stars. JH is a utility player. You get him his AB's until he starts to revert. He'll play some LF, some RF, probably some 3B.

These arguments are the same as I read when people thought Mackowiak should be an everyday player.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1585
doug frobel wrote:
Absolutely. Even if you have to bump Harrison down to #7 in the order, you keep starting him in right field.



Actually I'd rather keep Harrison in the lead off spot and put Polanco in the # 2 hall ahead of Cutch. Power and speed would work well for him there.

I see it as

Harrison
Polanco
Cutch
Davis
Walker
Pedro
Martin
SS

I especially like the right-left-right combo at the top of the order as you get into late innings and other team's bullpens.

My only concern is taking Neil out of the #2 hole where he has been raking. Perhaps that's why they are talking about using Polanco in the lead off spot.

Edit: Bucfan, I did not see your post, befor I commented. I see we have essentially the same batting idea and almost the same order.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5640
RE: J-Hay:

1. He looks really small in person
2. Kid has hustle

You can't bench him until his bubble does burst. His body language is great out there.

Marte may have 'All Star potential', but right now he's showing little to none of it. He's not going anywhere long term, he may just need time to get his mind right.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: marte
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10728
Corsair wrote:
Edit: Bucfan, I did not see your post, befor I commented. I see we have essentially the same batting idea and almost the same order.

Indeed. I, too, like mixing up left/right handed batters to avoid making a LOOGY or ROOGY more productive.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits