Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: College season begins
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 pm 

No. 1's team< Paradise Valley CC opened their season this past weekend against Luna CC of Las Vegas, NM.. Split 2 DH's winning Friday 11-9 and losing the night cap 4-2. On Saturday, No. 1 started, pitched 4 innings, 2 runs, 1 earned, 3 hits, 3 K's and 3 BB. Pitched pretty good. Was charged with the loss. They then won the nightcap 5-0. They seem to be a team that needs to tighten up the defense and may have hard time scoring runs. Makes pitching and defense all the more important. A good start all in all.

Post subject: Re: College season begins
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:03 pm 

Good to see him getting action...Hopefully they'll be a good team

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:03 pm 

I enjoy watching the occasional college baseball game, but the thing that drives me crazy is they start playing in the dead of winter. Now if youre Miami or Arizona, okay. But watching northern teams playing in February is ridiculous, no matter how accomodating the schedule tries to be. They ought to start a month later, play fewer games... and then maybe more people would take notice. Not like its a cash cow for the schools.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:36 am 

For a top 40 school it is a revenue maker. For example, ASU will play 35 home games and draw 3 to 5 thousand per game which works out to a fair chunk of change over the season. There are many schools who do just the same. The NCAA, my favorite corrupt association, has implemented new rules for this coming season regarding number of games and number of games per week. The season has been shortened in calender length and they have put more limits on practice time to benefit the cold weather teams. It's kind of a mess if you ask me but that is the NCAA for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:25 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
No. 1's team< Paradise Valley CC opened their season this past weekend against Luna CC of Las Vegas, NM.. Split 2 DH's winning Friday 11-9 and losing the night cap 4-2. On Saturday, No. 1 started, pitched 4 innings, 2 runs, 1 earned, 3 hits, 3 K's and 3 BB. Pitched pretty good. Was charged with the loss. They then won the nightcap 5-0. They seem to be a team that needs to tighten up the defense and may have hard time scoring runs. Makes pitching and defense all the more important. A good start all in all.

Sounds like a decent start to his collegiate career. Work fast, change speeds, throw strikes. And . . . oh yeah . . . listen to the catcher every once in a while!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Sounds like a decent start to his collegiate career. Work fast, change speeds, throw strikes. And . . . oh yeah . . . listen to the catcher every once in a while!!

Unless you're this guy!!!

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 3.56 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:03 pm 

Make sure he keeps up his academics too. While I never played a college sport, I'm sure that one of the best things about playing college ball is that you get to go to college in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:05 pm 

He has never been much for school as his playing at a CC reflects. That said, he has found a program that he likes for the first time, justice studies. Seeing him excited for a class is something not previously experienced in our house.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He has never been much for school as his playing at a CC reflects. That said, he has found a program that he likes for the first time, justice studies. Seeing him excited for a class is something not previously experienced in our house.

Good for him! Here's hoping that he keeps it up. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 pm 

Hope he enjoys playing and whatever life brings him. I feel certain his family has brought him to the right place to jump off.

Best to you all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:15 pm 

Thanks. Raising kids is no day at the beach. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:32 am 

Congrats, Az. I believe Ben will have a very good season. Going 4 effective innings in his first start is a good indicator.