Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maholm and Pirates agree to multi year deal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:31 pm 

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/ ... p&c_id=pit

Quote:
The Pirates and pitcher Paul Maholm have agreed to a multiyear deal, MLB.com has confirmed. The agreement is still pending a physical, which is expected to take place before the end of the week.
As first reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the two sides came to the agreement on Thursday morning. The team has not officially announced the agreement, and there are no known details about the contract length or salary figures.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Maholm and Pirates agree to multi year deal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 pm 

Dejan is saying its a 3 year deal with an option for a 4th...no money is discussed until they officially announce it and he takes a physical

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:22 pm 

Hopefully this is the first pitcher I remember to have back to back decent seasons.

Oh, to have hope.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:29 pm 

I know- what's the over under on that one? We can only hope he breaks the cycle of Snell, Gorzellany, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:38 pm 

I take this as very good news. There is no reason to expect a fall off from last year's numbers. First round pick in 2003-- I see nothing but improvement as he climbs to the top in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:48 pm 

Is this just another one of those deals that takes him through his arbitration years?

Because if so, big deal. We would have controlled him through those years anyway.

There's still just as good of a chance that he gets traded with one or two years left on the deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:50 pm 

Pirates4real wrote:
Is this just another one of those deals that takes him through his arbitration years?

Because if so, big deal. We would have controlled him through those years anyway.

There's still just as good of a chance that he gets traded with one or two years left on the deal.

We have an option on his 1st free agent year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:52 pm 

And to think, it was only last year that people were calling for Maholm's removal from the rotation....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:55 pm 

Willton wrote:
And to think, it was only last year that people were calling for Maholm's removal from the rotation....

Yeah, but wasn't that mostly Elmer and his infallible observational acumen for madd baseball skillz?

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:00 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Willton wrote:

Yeah, but wasn't that mostly Elmer and his infallible observational acumen for madd baseball skillz?

Yes, he and Mayor Mystery. And people wonder why I discredit generalized observations that lack statistical support ....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:37 pm 

Willton wrote:

You can throw me into that category. I was definitely one of the people who, in previous years and at the beginning of last year, did not believe that Maholm was going to be a positive contributor to the team. I was one who reacted with some level of disbelief that Dave Littlefield insisted upon keeping Maholm as the trade deadline approached in 2007 despite Maholm's awful numbers and poor performances. I also remember that I was not alone at that time wondering what Littlefield was thinking.

At least as far as last year was concerned, Littlefield's decision to hold onto Maholm or to ask for a higher return for Maholm seems to be somewhat prescient.

But, when looking at Maholm's 2006 and 2007 numbers alone, you would have thought that Littlefield was flat out nuts. Perhaps Colburn saw some things that weren't quite in the numbers . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:27 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

You can throw me into that category. I was definitely one of the people who, in previous years and at the beginning of last year, did not believe that Maholm was going to be a positive contributor to the team. I was one who reacted with some level of disbelief that Dave Littlefield insisted upon keeping Maholm as the trade deadline approached in 2007 despite Maholm's awful numbers and poor performances. I also remember that I was not alone at that time wondering what Littlefield was thinking.

At least as far as last year was concerned, Littlefield's decision to hold onto Maholm or to ask for a higher return for Maholm seems to be somewhat prescient.

But, when looking at Maholm's 2006 and 2007 numbers alone, you would have thought that Littlefield was flat out nuts. Perhaps Colburn saw some things that weren't quite in the numbers . . . .

I did not think that Maholm was going to have the great year that he had in 2008, but I also did not think that Maholm deserved to be kicked to the curb for his performances in 2006 or 2007, especially given that his peripherals improved from '06 to '07. Maholm was a perfectly adequate contributor to the Pirates in both years, and given the Pirates' shortage of usable arms in both years, I was starkly against trading Maholm or sending him elsewhere.

Whatever Colburn may have seen is beside the point. What Maholm had done up to the beginning of 2008, strictly based on numbers, was enough to deserve staying in the Bucs' rotation. He was a capable innings-eater, and there was nobody else at that time that was worthy of displacing him. The fact that he had the year he had in 2008 is merely a happy consequence of the decision to keep him in the rotation. It also shows that the purported "observational" reasons espoused on this board for removing him from the rotation were suspect at best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:36 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

Quite frankly, he was a 24-25 years old in 06 and 07, left handed, had missed a fair bit of time in the minors from catching a line drive in the face, and had had unbelievable, albeit brief, success when he first arrived in the bigs. I would have thought Littlefield was flat out nuts if he HAD traded him.

Also, in 07, Maholm was quite good for a nice chunk of the season. June ERA of 3.74, July ERA of 3.72, and August ERA of 3.60. And while he was not a strikeout pitcher, and never will be, his K:BB ratio was at least 2:1, averaging 3-4 K's per start. His overall numbers suffered from a slow start, but mainly due to those two starts he made in September with an ERA over 30 (he probably shouldn't have made those starts...back problems IIRC).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:39 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Carefull BBF, you used both ERA and an observation about Maholm in your arguement. That must mean you are wrong somehow.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:53 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Carefull BBF, you used both ERA and an observation about Maholm in your arguement. That must mean you are wrong somehow.

ZM

Yeah, but BBF is more credible than a guy who had two user names that would argue against himself

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:25 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Yeah, but BBF is more credible than a guy who had two user names that would argue against himself

It also helps that the numbers support BBF's opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:47 pm 

Nice writeup at fangraphs about what a value this constitutes for the Pirates (or a ripoff for Maholm).

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/maholm-hurts-his-wallet-by-pitching-for-pittsburgh/

Pay no attention to the lead article about Matt Wieters 2009 projections!

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:24 pm 

Hmmm . . . I guess I truly am getting old. My memory is that when the Royals were shopping Brad Hawpe, the Royals insisted that Maholm be part of the package, that DL balked at such a notion and that DL was soundly chastised over the concept of wanting to keep a "prospect" pitcher who had shown little in the Bigs and would be starting every 5 days at best over a "prospect" with a power bat in the lineup every day. I don't recall a whole lot of "atta boys" directed at DL for not pulling the trigger on that trade. Indeed, I'm pretty sure that IA Pirate was on the verge of gathering up pitchforks and torches.

I'm also failing to recall the Maholm advocates saying that DL should not be moving him because he was perfectly "adequate" for the rotation at that time. I recall DL being criticized for focusing too much on accumulating arms; too much on lefty arms and that Hawpe was going to be a superstar. Maholm's WHIP in 2006 was 1.607 (awful) and turned out to be 1.42 in 2007 (far from scintillating). His ERA wasn't turning any heads.

I'm willing to bet that if DL had made a public statement that he felt that Maholm was an "adequate" pitcher for the rotation at that time and that the Bucs didn't need to move an "adequate" pitcher for any everyday OF/1B with a big bat, he would have been roasted.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:34 pm 

I won't comment on the getting old part, but Brad Hawpe was never Royals property. He was drafted by and came up with the Rockies. I believe what you might be thinking of was the Rockies shopping 1B Ryan Shealy, who was eventually dealt to the Royals instead of the Pirates, and I believe the return was Jeremy Affeldt. If I recall, the sentiment was that we could/should have offered John Grabow, and that he would have been the superior offer. You might be right that it was Maholm, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:37 pm 

Getting old applies to me 'cause I don't remember any of that conversation. I should start writing things down because we all have a tendency to remember history through our own prism. While I'm sure no one intentionally re-writes history with I told you so -- it does happen.
Hopefully, we will not have a crash again and the record will be there to back up any claims of past predictions and comments.

My memory is that I liked Maholm when he was getting his chance and sure has improved as years have gone by. I hope and think he will have another good year, barring injury.