Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bucs acquire Ike Davis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:52 pm 

No details on players Pirates are giving up.

Post subject: Re: Bucs acquire Ike Davis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:54 pm 

Zach Thornton and a PTBNL.

I like the price. Thornton is a reliever, basically.

Davis has power, walks. Defense is not great.

But Gaby + Davis = productive position.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:59 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:06 pm 

Still no mention on the official site or the Facebook page, just here and Pirates Prospects

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:15 pm 

I saw it on Yes Network.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 pm 

To quote a member's signature:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 pm 

I've never understood the fascination here with Ike Davis. Do we need a 1st base upgrade? Yes. But his stat line looks like Pedro's without the power.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:05 pm 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/04/p ... -mets.html

Quote:
The PTBNL is "fairly significant," tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. It is worth bearing in mind, as Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com points out on Twitter, that 2013 draft picks still cannot technically be included in a deal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:06 pm 

I'm just happy that I can get my own name on my jersey now and it not be completely random.

Yes this is a joke, albeit true.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
I've never understood the fascination here with Ike Davis. Do we need a 1st base upgrade? Yes. But his stat line looks like Pedro's without the power.

Unless the PTBNL changes things, it's not like they gave up much to get him. And I don't know how you read stat lines, but power and walks is about all this guy has.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:45 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:

It's 100% about the platoon splits.

Ike's career OPS vs. RHP: .828
Gaby's career OPS vs. LHP: .900

I said all off-season that I'd be in favor of acquiring Ike if the return was right (i.e. not Kingham like NYM originally asked), so depending on the PTBNL, I'm probably fine with this. There are certainly warning signs in him battling injuries the past few years and being a LaRoche-esque second half player, though. But you also still have Lambo in the pipeline, so it's not the end of the world if he flops.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:07 am 

Good pick-up. Should stabilize 1B. And, according to a Mets fan I know, he can get streaky and carry an offense at times.

I am hearing that the PTBNL is fairly significant. Probably a 2013 draft pick (those guys can't be announced as part of a trade until one year after they signed, or around July). As long as it's not McGuire or Meadows, I'm fine with this deal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:55 am 

.828 career vs RHP, what other stat do you need to look at?

27 years old, coming off a bad year. Somewhat of a reclamation project. That's why he cost only Thornton and a PTBNL.

Good pickup. Decent updside, minimal risk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:09 am 

Here are some questions:

Is Ike Davis an upgrade over Ishakawa?

Did the Pirates give up prospects that will be legitimate MLB players?

Answer to No. 1 is probably yes. Davis might not be a great option, but he is a better option at this point.

No. 2 is we won't know. Thornton was acquired by NH for Resop so this isn't a prospect that came up through the system. The PTBNL will probably by JaCoby Jones. Again, we will see.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 am 

TheShark wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

It's 100% about the platoon splits.

Ike's career OPS vs. RHP: .828
Gaby's career OPS vs. LHP: .900

I said all off-season that I'd be in favor of acquiring Ike if the return was right (i.e. not Kingham like NYM originally asked), so depending on the PTBNL, I'm probably fine with this. There are certainly warning signs in him battling injuries the past few years and being a LaRoche-esque second half player, though. But you also still have Lambo in the pipeline, so it's not the end of the world if he flops.

They need to have him on a short leash for sure. It's nice to have a 2nd former top prospect at 1B, but they can't put all the eggs in the Ike Davis basket. He's been on a steady decline and any guy whose most parroted "fix" is a swing overhaul is teetering on being a lost cause.

As long as the PTBNL isn't Blake Taylor or JaCoby Jones it's an alright deal. If it's Meadows or McGuire we got fleeced so I doubt it's them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:37 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
As long as the PTBNL isn't Blake Taylor or JaCoby Jones it's an alright deal. If it's Meadows or McGuire we got fleeced so I doubt it's them.

No way it's Meadows or McGuire. Heck, Huntington might as well have just given up Kingham like NYM was asking in the off-season if that was the case. I'm with you, I would be disappointed if it was Taylor or Jones, the latter who I predicted would be a major breakout prospect this year.

Something I always bring up that I feel Huntington never gets enough credit for is finding scrapheap bullpen pieces and ultimately flipping them for something of value. Obviously the big ones were turning guys like Dotel and Hanrahan into sought-after closers and getting significant returns from big market teams, then you have a guy like Resop who actually lands something value like Thornton in return. With the current pitching depth in the system, he becomes perfect trade bait. Although the results didn't always work out, the same can be said for Veras, Lopez, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:36 pm 

I think any time you have the ability to deal a reliever for a legitimate piece you have to do it, provided you don't see the reliever as a potential starter (like Pimentel). I still hate that they didn't trade Hanrahan to Texas a year and a half earlier than they traded him to Boston.

Right now I don't think 1B is a big enough hole, or that Davis is a big enough solution, to give up a SS or lefty pitcher for him. 1B is a deeper position than either of those. I would have preferred they dealt from a position of strength. I'm hoping for a Buddy Borden type, who they went over slot for. Would hate to see them overpay two years in a row with the Mets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:11 pm 

Mets blogs are saying now that the draft is over there are strong indications that Neil Kozikowski is the PTBNL. Good deal for the Pirates.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Mets blogs are saying now that the draft is over there are strong indications that Neil Kozikowski is the PTBNL. Good deal for the Pirates.

19-year old pitcher who pitched in rookie ball in 2013, and has not pitched in any league thus far in 2014. A lot of kids wind up in extended spring training, so I am guessing that is where he has been.

I like the deal a lot now. Thornton was obtained in a deal for Chris Resop and projects as a right-handed relief pitcher. He is 26 and still in AAA.

Kozikowski is an 8th round selection from the 2013 draft. The Buccos did NOT deal a top-25 prospect, like they did in the Byrd deal. I like the deal a ton right now, if the Kozikowski part of the deal is true.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:02 pm 

Based on normal progression he probably would have been in Jamestown this year (season starts in about 2 weeks). Apparently the Mets liked him a lot before the draft and the Pirates ultimately got him first.

He is not as highly regarded as his draft classmate, Billy Roth. So the Pirates definitely did well, if Mets sources are correct (and apparently a very credible guy first tweeted it and it has since been corroborated).