Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Breakout Bucco In 2009
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 am 

OK - I'll make one of those crazy picks where if you end up right, you look like a genious, but if you end up wrong, an idiot who merits a ban consideration.

I predict Craig Hansen gets it together and becomes a shut down reliever, enabling us to trade capps at the deadline.

I'm gonna go have another drink and smoke a fat one.........

Last edited by Argentum on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 am 

Andrew McCutchen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 pm 

Argentum wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
So I'll optimistically set the bar at .260|.375|.465 with 23HR.

Slap, from your lips to God's ear. I would take that line in a heart beat. I'm predicting a very Jose Bautista like 250/335/410. But unlike Bautista, I don't think that's his ceiling.

Your #s are far more realistic, Argentum, but even that line would be a step in the right direction. That's about where James and CHONE put him. See WHYGAVS article on it: http://whygavs.com/2009011367/pittsburgh-pirates/january-2009/the-andy-laroche-projection-extravaganza-chone.html

Have a feeling they might be considering a LaRoche-Hinske platoon (provided Hinske signs) should Andy struggle early though.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:58 pm 

Argentum wrote:
OK - I'll make one of those crazy picks where if you end up right, you look like a genious, but if you end up wrong, an idiot who merits a ban consideration.

I predict Craig Hansen gets it together and becomes a shut down reliever, enabling us to trade capps at the deadline.

I'm gonna go have another drink and smoke a fat one.........

That would be awesome if it comes true. Hansen is big and imposing on the mound and has the heat to back it up. If he can get control of his pitches(a huge IF) he could be dominant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:00 pm 

Since we're dreaming put me down for Moss -- 25-30 HRs and cut down on strike outs.

Let the spring begin, or at least let us out of this snow season soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:04 pm 

Your #s are far more realistic, Argentum, but even that line would be a step in the right direction. That's about where James and CHONE put him. See WHYGAVS article on it: http://whygavs.com/2009011367/pittsburgh-pirates/january-2009/the-andy-laroche-projection-extravaganza-chone.html

Well James and CHONE are playing it very safe, as am I, so there shouldn't be any accolades dished out if Andy hits those numbers. His BABIP last year was a horrific 177, and I would agree with Wilton that he is a prime candidate to regress towards the mean in a big way. Heck, just by watching him last year it was obvious that he was hitting a lot of balls right at people. I'm just not as confident that this means he'll be our All Star rep. I would love to see it though.

Have a feeling they might be considering a LaRoche-Hinske platoon (provided Hinske signs) should Andy struggle early though.

A good plan for sure. It's funny that Hinske ends up being the emergency plan for both brothers. We better get an emergency plan in place for Hinske though should he be needed at both positions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:12 pm 

Argentum wrote:
A good plan for sure. It's funny that Hinske ends up being the emergency plan for both brothers. We better get an emergency plan in place for Hinske though should he be needed at both positions.

The options after Hinske at 1st is Pearce, and a telephone call to Craig Wilson...plus Moss has played a few games at 1st base in the minors and with Boston

Third base you after Hinske its Vazquez, Walker, then probably a phone call to Matt Kata or Joe Randa

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:18 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Argentum wrote:

The options after Hinske at 1st is Pearce, and a telephone call to Craig Wilson...plus Moss has played a few games at 1st base in the minors and with Boston

Third base you after Hinske its Vazquez, Walker, then probably a phone call to Matt Kata or Joe Randa

Forgot about Pearce. He didn't fare to well in Indy last year so I guess he only gets the call if he's worthy. Otherwise Thor may be the way to go. That would be worth it just to see guys like 9, ZM, and Az blow a gasket. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:40 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Forgot about Pearce. He didn't fare to well in Indy last year so I guess he only gets the call if he's worthy. Otherwise Thor may be the way to go. That would be worth it just to see guys like 9, ZM, and Az blow a gasket. :)

I think Pearce has a chance to make the team as another backup...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:48 pm 

Unless he goes 0 for Spring Training, Pearce will be on the 25 man roster.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Unless he goes 0 for Spring Training, Pearce will be on the 25 man roster.

As a starter? I see no reason to make him a bench player at this point in his career. He needs more ABs, not less.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:59 pm 

The last OF spot is going to be between Pearce and Monroe...The Pirates need a Right Handed bat on the bench with some pop...

Plus if Morgan flops Pearce is starting...

What if Russell tries the philosophy of giving him a few regular at bats a week like he tried with Morgan last season?

And if the OF all hits like it did last season and Adam LaRoche is hitting in April, send him back to Indy then...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:31 pm 

I also pick Moss to be the break out player.

I hope Andy LaRoche does too, but I wouldn't bet 19 cents on it happening.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:32 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
The last OF spot is going to be between Pearce and Monroe...The Pirates need a Right Handed bat on the bench with some pop...

Plus if Morgan flops Pearce is starting...

What if Russell tries the philosophy of giving him a few regular at bats a week like he tried with Morgan last season?

And if the OF all hits like it did last season and Adam LaRoche is hitting in April, send him back to Indy then...

That's pretty much my thinking. Not a bench player per se, but not a starter. Russell will get him some ABs. I really think his stock fell last year, although I was encouraged by the 4 late home runs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:36 pm 

I dont think they have any intention of platooning Hinske at 3B. Should Laroche be paired with a left hander, I believe itll be Vazquez. (At least initially).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:05 pm 

Kingston wrote:
I dont think they have any intention of platooning Hinske at 3B. Should Laroche be paired with a left hander, I believe itll be Vazquez. (At least initially).

Well, if they're not, they should. Hinske's career OPS is >100 points higher vs. righties.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:22 pm 

For a breakout year, I go for Moss.

For a breakdown year, I think it's Andrew McCutcheon. This will be the year that the last hope from the Littlefield era fails to make it. Tabata will become the new great hope for the outfield, and he'll make good progress this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:20 pm 

StanRojek wrote:
For a breakout year, I go for Moss.

For a breakdown year, I think it's Andrew McCutcheon. This will be the year that the last hope from the Littlefield era fails to make it. Tabata will become the new great hope for the outfield, and he'll make good progress this year.

Hey, Stan. Welcome aboard.

Personally, I think Cutch has the tools to turn into a pretty good ballplayer. But sadly, given expectations, I dont think thatll ever be enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:57 pm 

StanRojek wrote:
This will be the year that the last hope from the Littlefield era fails to make it.

Isn't that Danny Moskos? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:08 pm 

StanRojek wrote:
This will be the year that the last hope from the Littlefield era fails to make it.

Isn't that Danny Moskos? ;)

No, he's already failed.