Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breakout Bucco In 2009
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:52 pm 

McLouth said its going to be Moss. Anyone agree? Me, I like Moss, I think there are lots of HRs in his bat, but if I had to pick that breakout guy for 2009 it would have to be Laroche #2.

Yes, Im aware of how awful he looked last season. Still, Ive seen enough guys flounder initially and then take off to dismiss that, especially since Laroche had the thumb issue last year.

Now, by "breakout" I dont mean All Star numbers. But I expect around a .275 BA with 25 HRs. And who here wouldnt be happy with that?

BTW, put me down as one who believes that Gorzelanny claims (reclaims?) the Ace role in our rotation this season.

If Im wrong, what the heck; didnt cost me nothin. How say you guys?

Post subject: Re: Breakout Bucco In 2009
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm 

Kingston wrote:
McLouth said its going to be Moss. Anyone agree? Me, I like Moss, I think there are lots of HRs in his bat, but if I had to pick that breakout guy for 2009 it would have to be Laroche #2.

Yes, Im aware of how awful he looked last season. Still, Ive seen enough guys flounder initially and then take off to dismiss that, especially since Laroche had the thumb issue last year.

Now, by "breakout" I dont mean All Star numbers. But I expect around a .275 BA with 25 HRs. And who here wouldnt be happy with that?

BTW, put me down as one who believes that Gorzelanny claims (reclaims?) the Ace role in our rotation this season.

If Im wrong, what the heck; didnt cost me nothin. How say you guys?

If Moss is healthy for the whole season and gets alot of at bats I could see 30 HR's from him via PNC Park Right Field

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:00 pm 

Breakout season?

If Cutch comes up, I think he'll be a pleasant surprise. Especially if we have Morgan in the outfield. However, I'm banking on Andy Laroche. Moss is a good player who I've been pulling for since his days in Boston, but if there is a player that needs to put it together for the team to have a chance, it's little Laroche.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:13 pm 

I sure hope that I am wrong but I have this gnawing feeling that the Dodgers were not wrong in letting LaRoche go . . .

I have a tendency to lean with the players; I'd bet that Moss is the position player who comes closest to having a "breakout" season. However, the possible choices are pretty thin. McLouth and Doumit don't qualify for being able to have a "breakout" year (unless they hit 40 + HR and drive in more than 120 runs). Neither Jack nor Sanchez will have a "breakout" season. I highly doubt Morgan will have anything resembling a "breakout" year. I guess if Adam LaRoche hits the ball in April and May, he might have a "breakout" year. I am curious to see how he reacts if his brother struggles as I anticipate. If Andy struggles and hears the "boo birds," it can't help but affect Adam.

As for the pitching, I'm thinking Duke. No rhyme or reason . . . just a hunch at this time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 pm 

I know how old Moss is, but I still think 2010 is the year he'll go power nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I have a feeling Snell will be a fine pitcher this season. He's my choice.

#15 Kansas State Wildcats (1-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-1)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
11:00 AM CST
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:34 pm 

I'll go way, way, way out on a limb and say Donnie Veal. He sticks, he shows good control, and eventually gets stretched out and takes a spot in the rotation. Or, becomes a dominant 8th inning guy after we trade Grabow.

Honestly, I don't believe this, but its a lot more fun to predict than debating between Moss and Laroche. And as was mentioned above, there just aren't that many other candidates on our roster. Plus, if I should be correct, I'll look like a genius.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:40 pm 

I think it will be Gorzo. Got himself into better shape and I really think Tracy screwed him up causing him to pitch hurt last year. He was really good two seasons ago. I think he will find his groove again.

Offensively I don't hold out much hope unless they bring up McCutcheon. Then he could maybe even make a run at rookie of the year(depending on his call up date). I like how Moss plays the game but I'm not sure he isn't best suited to be a 4th outfielder. Hope I'm wrong. And No. 9 I'm with you on little LaRoche. Again, hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:42 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I think it will be Gorzo. Got himself into better shape and I really think Tracy screwed him up causing him to pitch hurt last year. He was really good two seasons ago. I think he will find his groove again.

Offensively I don't hold out much hope unless they bring up McCutcheon. Then he could maybe even make a run at rookie of the year(depending on his call up date). I like how Moss plays the game but I'm not sure he isn't best suited to be a 4th outfielder. Hope I'm wrong. And No. 9 I'm with you on little LaRoche. Again, hope I'm wrong.

We agree? Gorzo? Laroche? Im gonna go lie down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm 

Im gonna go with this years breakout players not being young players but players making career years in comebacks.Im going #1 Sean Burnett(idk if he will start the season in the pen but i think hes gonna end up getting some start and coming up big) and #2 Adam LaRoche not Andy but Adam.I think hes gonna put together a great first half of the season which will lead to him getting traded to a good team mid-season looking to make a good playoff run.But if i have to pick a young player to breakout i would have to go with Moss.I also think the fall off the map players of the year and gonna be Andy LaRoche and I'm afraid Nate isnt't gonna have a great year,something just tells me that.but if he does hes the real deal and i will eat my words.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:57 pm 

but and this is a very small but, but don't forget about Nyjer Morgan(open spots in the outfield could lead to him getting some spot starts and alot of pinch hit at bats but i wouldn't be suprised if he ends up at triple A but im gonna leave the door open on him having a decent season if he makes the major league roster.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:50 am 

I still stand by my prediction that Andy LaRoche will be the Pirates' representative at the All-Star game. Naturally, he is my pick to break-out. As for pitchers, I don't think anyone will "break-out" so much as some may "bounce-back," and in that category I pick Ian Snell.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:30 am 

For the Pirates to be good, they need both Moss and LaRoche to have a break through season...without anyone else on the team declining much

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:38 am 

I vote Stewie Griffin as breakout player...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 am 

I am going to have to go with Andy LaRoche or Nyger Morgan. I too am interested in who most of the players pick as they were dead on last year voting Nasty Nate and Doumit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:13 am 

Willton wrote:
I still stand by my prediction that Andy LaRoche will be the Pirates' representative at the All-Star game. Naturally, he is my pick to break-out. As for pitchers, I don't think anyone will "break-out" so much as some may "bounce-back," and in that category I pick Ian Snell.

What would you say constitutes a break-out season for LaRoche, Willton?

Both Bill James and CHONE projections put him at around .750 OPS for the year, and I think many people's expectations for him are so low that they'd take that with a smile. Dude's never going to hit .300, but I could easily see him putting up Ed Yost-like numbers at 3B: low average, good OBP, decent power. So I'll optimistically set the bar at .260|.375|.465 with 23HR.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Last edited by LtCol Kojak Slaphead on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am 

Kingston wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

We agree? Gorzo? Laroche? Im gonna go lie down.

When you see things my way I'm easy to get along with! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 am 
 WWW  Profile

Breakout Pitcher: Evan Meek
Breakout Position Player: Andy LaRoche and Brandon Moss
Key Bench Player: Eric Hinske

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:42 am 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
So I'll optimistically set the bar at .260|.375|.465 with 23HR.

Slap, from your lips to God's ear. I would take that line in a heart beat. I'm predicting a very Jose Bautista like 250/335/410. But unlike Bautista, I don't think that's his ceiling.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 am 

Being the eternal optimist, and knowing that it's the only way (besides a big turnaround in the pitching) that this team will be half decnt in 2009, I'll also say Moss and Andy LaRoche. I'm much more confident that a healthy Moss will be a potent stick in that lineup. It could enable us to move Nate back to leadoff and put Moss third. Getting at least some production from LaRoche (Andy) would help break up all those lefties in the middle of the order, especially when Hinske's starting.