Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keys to improvement
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:30 pm 

It is all dependent on the pitching. If the young starters can improve then the team will likewise. Anyone who thinks we can win with offense alone please refer to the Texas Rangers. I personally think the pitching will improve but that is just my take. This could be a make or break year for several on the staff.

Post subject: Re: Keys to improvement
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:17 pm 

Hopefully Kerrigan can make a difference there. It is make or break time for the likes of Duke and Snell at least. Gorzo has a bit longer leash, but not much. I'm curious to see where Daniel McCutchen's development takes him this year. He doesn't have much left to prove in AAA. Who knows, lightning could strike and they all may establish themselves this year, and if so, it won't be that bad. I've been wondering the last couple of days if the acquisition of Pedro might in effect net us two pitchers- him, and an improved Snell. I can't think of a better example of pitching inside breeding success, and that's what Ian needs to do. I'm hoping he would listen to Pedro on that. He could also learn how to body slam elderly bench coaches. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:45 pm 

I agree completely. Just look at our team pre-trades last season and that is all anyone needs to know - an above average offense and NO pitching at all.This is indeed a make or break year for Duke and Snell. I expect Grabow to be gone by the deadline (even though I like him). Guys like Sues, Veal, Uviedo, Hansen, and (sadly)Meek have to step up and show us they are the future of this bullpen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 pm 

Throw 3 more B's in there, too. Burnett, Beam, and Bautista. Denny has been pitching well in the Carribean this winter. He recently pitched 1.2 scoreless, striking out 4 of 5 batters faced. No walks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:54 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
It is all dependent on the pitching.

Couldn't agree more, Az! That is why NH is right to be stockpiling as many options for the rotation as he has. That is why he went out and got a top notch pitching coach. And it is also why we lost last year (no options beyond our starting 5, inferior pitching coach).

BUT...the bottom line is talent. Maholm has it. Snell might have it. I believe Gorzo has it. And Duke is what he is...a guy who pitches to contact and will do well with a solid D behind him, and will have horrible numbers with a bad D behind him.

Above all else, pitching must be built from within. It is one thing to say that we will supplement our roster with a big free agent bat when we are ready to compete. But the price for pitching, while a little more down to earth this year, is still astronomical compared to the price of comparable hitting. And, the injury risk for most pitchers makes those costs even more ridiculous. But again, it all reflects the value (correctly) placed on pitching.