Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:42 am 

Paulino can be the hero. Hey, he's facing a lefty. Time for his first long distance call of the year.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:45 am 

Ronny!! Woo-hoo.

Now Nady's turn.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:49 am 

I wondered how long it would be before the announcers mentioned Villone's former stint with the Bucs. Normally they are all over it.

X-Man walks, bases loaded. Can LaRoche do something or will his .203 be representing here?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:51 am 

Gutsy and impressive game by the Buccos. Lost the lead twice, battled back, numerous clutch at bats.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:51 am 

LaRoche doubles! Woo hoo! Man everyone has been clutch tonight when it is needed. Maybe even Rivas could get a hit here? Nah, I'm just dreaming.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:54 am 

For once in my life I am so very happy that someone is proving me wrong! Rivas gets on base! It is so rightful that this 9th has been pitched by a former Pirate. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:55 am 

They didn't have any qualms throwing Salas into the fire. Nice job to get out of that jam.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 am 

Salas is in line to get the win in his first major league appearance.

Quite a contrast to Meek's debut.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:00 am 

Yeah, and just think, it not for Dumatrait and Salas it would have been Morris and (possibly) Meek!

In all fairness, we'll have to see more out of Salas, but this sure is a memorable first game.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 am 

Buccos win handily in extras.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Salas is in line to get the win in his first major league appearance.

Quite a contrast to Meek's debut.

I'm not ready to give Salas much praise for tonight. Three walks in one inning does not bode well for the future.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:07 am 

TheShark wrote:
In all fairness, we'll have to see more out of Salas, but this sure is a memorable first game.

No question, Shark. I just liked the fact that he put the ball right where he wanted against Pujols. One strike, at the bottom of the knees. Just off the outside corner, inside the inside corner.

Guys who can control the ball inside the strike zone have success.

He was not throwing particularly hard, but unleashed one at 94 to Pujols (chest high). He seems to be able to throw strikes, the leadoff walk notwithstanding. (I attribute that to the fact that, I don't know, he is making his major league debut in a tie game, on the road, in the bottom of the ninth!!)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:08 am 

Willton wrote:
I'm not ready to give Salas much praise for tonight. Three walks in one inning does not bode well for the future.

Did you see the game?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:11 am 

Well deserved and much worth staying up for. Start of another winning streak now I hope.

- Another fine start by Dumatrait. Yeah, he got bit by a long-ball after a walk (right after K'ing Pujols), but I'm not complaining about his outings so far. In fact I couldn't be more satisfied.

- After a very bleak beginning for the bats, he clutch hits by McLouth (10th HR), Paulino (replacing Doumit after an early thumb injury with two BIG hits), and LaRoche for the big double to seal the game in the 10th.

- Sanchez also continues to improve/excel in that lead-off groove.

- Marino Salas gets a major league debut he'll sure never forget. Comes in and gets the bases load in the bottom of the 9th before getting out of it via pop up. Wow!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:26 am 

Willton - you did not reply. I will presume that you did not see the game and based your comment on the stat line, since if you had seen the game you would have noted:

- The second walk, to Shumaker, was an intentional walk.
    - The third walk, to Pujols, might as well have been an intentional walk.
    - As I noted, his work on the Pujols at bat was very impressive. Pujols was tempted to pull the trigger and holding back on balls just a little to far outside, or inside, or up, etc.

Salas walked the leadoff batter. That was a bad thing. But uhmm, he is in his first game ever, on the road, in a tie game, in the bottom of the ninth.

Maybe we can understand him being just a fraction tight? Tell you what, under those circumstances for the average guy, if you put this:

into his butt, you would wind up with this:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:28 am 

Bucfan is dead on right about Salas' walk totals.
The first one was not good.
The second one was called for by the bench.
His walking Pujols resulted from very good pitching. You simply cannot give in to arguably the best hitter in baseball. As Pujols stepped into the box, I was hoping upon hope that Russell would have held up 4 fingers for the intentional walk. You really can't complain about how Salas pitched to Pujols. He did an excellent job.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:01 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Doumit had a pitch clang off his mitt. He was apparently crossed up. As soon as it happened, I wondered if he was hurt since the ball hit the edge of the mitt, where his thumb is located.

Catchers get crossed up all the time. The pitch looked rather innocuous, a little up and out, instead of down and in. This certainly doesn't help to reduce the public perception of Doumit being an accident waiting to happen. I hope he gets back in the line-up soon, and more importantly, I hope this isn't going to be some lingering injury that affects his ability to hit.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 am 

I'm nit picking here, and setting myself up to be knocked down, but was I the only one who thought Nate played Glaus' HR poorly? Lanny kept harping on how hard Nate went into the wall, but I couldn't help but think that had he done a better job of knowing where the wall was, the play is very makable. That ball squeaked over the wall and was very catchable if the jump is timed properly.

Easier said than done, I know.....................

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:22 am 

Argentum wrote:
I'm nit picking here, and setting myself up to be knocked down, but was I the only one who thought Nate played Glaus' HR poorly? Lanny kept harping on how hard Nate went into the wall, but I couldn't help but think that had he done a better job of knowing where the wall was, the play is very makable. That ball squeaked over the wall and was very catchable if the jump is timed properly.

Capable of being caught? Absolutely.
Routine play? Not even close
"Kind of" a tough play? No.
"Really" tough play? Absolutely.
It would have been a Web Gem.
Tori Hunter likely makes that catch. However, hard to find much fault with McLouth failing to bring that one back in the park. It would have been a spectacular defensive play.
But, as you admit, it is a "nitpick" . . . . nothing wrong with that and it is a valid observation that the ball was capable of being caught.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:25 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Capable of being caught? Absolutely.
Routine play? Not even close
"Kind of" a tough play? No.
"Really" tough play? Absolutely.
It would have been a Web Gem.
Tori Hunter likely makes that catch. However, hard to find much fault with McLouth failing to bring that one back in the park. It would have been a spectacular defensive play.
But, as you admit, it is a "nitpick" . . . . nothing wrong with that and it is a valid observation that the ball was capable of being caught.

Thank you for being easy on me! The ball did hit the top of the fence, but had there been a bit more loft, Nate has a much better chance. The ball was a frozen rope.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next