Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karma
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:21 am 

I guess this makes me an insensitive prick, but Chapman is a headhunter himself.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10636 ... carted-off

Post subject: Re: Karma
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:02 am 

Hate to see anyone get hurt. I'm with you on Chapman being a headhunter, and we were all ticked off when he drilled Cutch.

I hope he recovers, but I also hope he pitches poorly against us for the rest of his career.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:33 am 

Don't do this. Never, EVER comment on an injury with any degree of pleasure. That's classless.

I hope Chapman fully recovers from this horrific incident. I'd much, much rather beat him at baseball than see him hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:13 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Don't do this. Never, EVER comment on an injury with any degree of pleasure. That's classless.

I hope Chapman fully recovers from this horrific incident. I'd much, much rather beat him at baseball than see him hurt.

Yep.

Chapman was really struggling with his control this game. I am guessing he threw one down the heart of the plate just to try and find some command, and Perez - a very good young hitter - unfortunately crushed it right back at Chapman.

If Perez gets under the ball by 1/8" more, the ball winds up over the center field fence.

All those who watched their sons pitch for a lot of years - me included - always dreaded something like this. It is really a terrible thing to happen to a pitcher.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:36 am 

People probably forget, but the Pirates had two pretty awful ones themselves the past few years (Ohlendorf and Jakubauskas), luckily no major damage was done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:05 pm 

Don't forget Paul Maholm when he was in about AA.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:41 pm 

Chapman is the worst pitcher I've ever seen, no fundamentals at all, when it comes to squaring up to the plate after the pitch. He still couldn't if fielded that screamer but at least he could've had a chance to protect himself.

Hope he's okay. When he comes back I hope he pitches in, not in and up. His fastball is also a deadly weapon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:38 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Pleasure is the wrong word.

I was merely seeing the irony in the situation. We could very easily be saying today: "Did you see Chapman drill so and so in the head last night?" He's known for it.

That's all I'm saying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:19 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I was merely seeing the irony in the situation. We could very easily be saying today: "Did you see Chapman drill so and so in the head last night?" He's known for it.

That's all I'm saying.

The word you are looking for is the German term "schedenfreude" which translates as a perverse delight in the misfortune of others. This is kinder than "Glad he got hit."

Schadenfreude ties in with karma in the cheerleader who mocked and made fun of the mousy girl, who blossomed in college, shows up to the 20 year reunion weighing 300 lbs, and with three divorces behind her. Chapman getting hit seems to fall into this category.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:51 pm 

Corsair wrote:
VanSlick wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

That's all I'm saying.

The word you are looking for is the German term "schedenfreude" which translates as a perverse delight in the misfortune of others. This is kinder than "Glad he got hit."

Schadenfreude ties in with karma in the cheerleader who mocked and made fun of the mousy girl, who blossomed in college, shows up to the 20 year reunion weighing 300 lbs, and with three divorces behind her. Chapman getting hit seems to fall into this category.

You're dead wrong.

I am not some perverse guy that rags on the unfortunate or mocks crash sites. But thanks for the character analysis.

Sheesh. I was pointing out the irony of a guy who has been lambasted by announcers, players and fans as being a headhunter and dangerous. He gets hit in the head and it's ironic. Not comedic, but ironic. A strange and unfortunate coincidence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:27 pm 

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my post. That was not my intent. I realize that the tone of words can be misconstrued on a message board.

My post was intended as an observation, not jubilation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:00 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
I'm sorry if anyone was offended by my post. That was not my intent. I realize that the tone of words can be misconstrued on a message board.

My post was intended as an observation, not jubilation.

I hear 'ya.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:06 pm 

I finally got up enough nerve to watch it. Yeah, I hate to see that happen to anyone, whether I like them or not. I thought Salvador Perez showed an awful lot of class with his display of concern.