Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kendry Morales and Stephen Drew
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:12 pm 

How bad does Boras look for having this happen to his clients? How are they getting into game shape? This could be really career-damaging for both of them.

Post subject: Re: Kendry Morales and Stephen Drew
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:36 pm 

The QO system is largely a failure. Ervin Santana is still out there as well though reports say he's close to striking a deal. I think I'd prefer the old Type-A/Type-B system but I guess I'm not totally sure.

I think teams are beginning to see that you can win a lot of games in baseball without spending unreal amounts of money and also that spending that kind of money doesn't guarantee success. Fringe guys like Drew and especially Morales who has little to offer on defense just aren't worth it when they have the draft pick compensation attached to them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:06 pm 

Giving up a first round pick is a ridiculously high penalty to pay for signing a free agent. And its not the least bit fair to the free agent.

If there has to be compensation to the previous team, it should be in a supplemental round.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:10 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Or possibly making a "maximum" QO pick, that can be negotiated down. However, I am also of the opinion that all draft picks should be tradable just like other sports, so that the stupidity of some GM's can be exposed even more, to your benefit.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:
Or possibly making a "maximum" QO pick, that can be negotiated down. However, I am also of the opinion that all draft picks should be tradable just like other sports, so that the stupidity of some GM's can be exposed even more, to your benefit.

ZM

I can't imagine how many insane move the 2000s Pirates would have made given the ability to trade draft picks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Quite frankly, it might have helped DL, given how he drafted.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:44 am 

DL would have traded his picks for major league ready players. You know how much he loved those. Mostly because he was not capable of identifying, acquiring, and developing amateur talent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:24 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
The QO system is largely a failure. Ervin Santana is still out there as well though reports say he's close to striking a deal. I think I'd prefer the old Type-A/Type-B system but I guess I'm not totally sure.

I think teams are beginning to see that you can win a lot of games in baseball without spending unreal amounts of money and also that spending that kind of money doesn't guarantee success. Fringe guys like Drew and especially Morales who has little to offer on defense just aren't worth it when they have the draft pick compensation attached to them.

If you can afford to pay a player ,and that player is worth 15 million (or whatever the QO is).....then giving up the 1st rd pick is fair. I'd also be okay if they simply gave the team losing the player the pick of the team signing the player and the team that lost it's pick gets a sandwich pick between rounds 1 and 2.

I just feel that if you are willing to give a player 15 million because you value him that much and he gets signed away then there has to be compensation.

If you are a team that is going to build your roster via Free Agency, signing other teams developed or star players; then losing the pick is only fair.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:29 pm 

rellimie wrote:
If you can afford to pay a player ,and that player is worth 15 million (or whatever the QO is).....then giving up the 1st rd pick is fair.

If a player is worth $15M, and you pay him $15M and give up a 1st round draft pick, that is saying that a first round draft pick has no value at all. I don't know what a 1st round pick is worth; I've seen articles that valued them as high as $25M. Whatever that value is, it sure as heck is a lot higher than zero.