Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You Be the GM...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:16 pm 

2K Sports is releasing a new game on the 26th MLB Frontoffice Featuring Billy Beane...Even the Pirates can get respect on the game, watch the trailer

http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlbmanager

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: You Be the GM...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:23 am 

I might buy it for 360. Im not sure how good it will be but it is 40 dollars 20 less then the average 60 dollar game for 360.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:41 am 

Those games and the others like it (NFL Head Coach) are bad. There's a reason why it's 20 dollars less.

Save your money for MLB 2k9. 2k Sports does a very good job with this series.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:21 pm 

Quite personally, I have found all of 2k sports games to be severely lacking, and was very disappointed with their exclusive deal with MLB. EA games are much, MUCH better.

However, I am very tempted to buy this game. Baseball is MADE for this type of game. NFL Head Coach was a flop because there isn't much involved. Rule 5 drafts, international scouting, Japanese posting system, etc. gives much more to do for a baseball GM. Online play would be the ultimate fantasy league. Unfortunately, the reviews have been bad, but my guess is that it will do very well among its target audience. I suspect I will wait for some user reviews from some hard-core fantasy players before I get it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:03 pm 

I like MLB The Show the best, but maybe this is worth a look. Why did they have to put Billy Beane on it (blah)? What I would like to see is a Baseball Stars for Nintendo type game. If this thing is anything like that, it might be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:09 pm 

Don't get me wrong, EA does pretty much every other sports game almost to perfection, however they weren't able to get it right with baseball, in my opinion dating back to Triple Play 1998. I'm pretty finicky with my baseball games, I used to be a big fan of the Acclaim All Star Baseball series, and since I always hated 989 sports, I've never played any of the newer versions of The Show series since they became ESPN Sports and although it's not as good a baseball series as All Star Baseball or the old old 97, 98 version of Triple Play, the 2k Baseball series is decent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm 

What is it about the various baseball video game franchises that you all like/dislike?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:55 pm 

I miss the homerun derby in the construction zone and in the living room. I used to really pull some long foul balls into the closet!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:44 am 

Willton wrote:
What is it about the various baseball video game franchises that you all like/dislike?

I like realism in my games. I've found too many baseball games in the past where

a. it is impossible to field
b. I'm hitting a Home Run every 5 or 6 at bats and the final score of most games are something like 18-15
c. I'm averaging maybe 3 or 4 hits a game and all are by the same player at the same time the computer is hitting anything I throw at it and I'm getting beat 9-0 pretty much every game.

The 2k Series captures all my needs. It's not impossible and not ridiculously easy.

Last edited by omgardd on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 am 

bradf wrote:
I miss the homerun derby in the construction zone and in the living room. I used to really pull some long foul balls into the closet!

What game was that? I vaguely remember that, and whatever it was I remember really enjoying that game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:41 am 

I liked MVP Baseball 2005 the best...Manny was on the cover, you had a chance to play the big league team, AAA, AA, and A ball teams too...Had to draft and keep the rosters filled...You could realign teams and do a draft, you had payroll limits, and fair trades based on salary...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:28 am 

My problem with 2k games generally is that the actual game play is not as smooth as other platforms. I'm sure anyone who has played a lot of baseball knows what I am talking about. I just don't know how to explain it better than that.

Also, I generally find that it is too easy to pitch in these games. In 2k7, playing as the Pirates, I went an entire month of games giving up only 5 runs. In an earlier edition, I won the Cy Young with a fella named Chris Peters...who had an ERA below 1.5.

On lower difficulty levels, hitting is also ridiculous. I had Kevin Young hit 85 homers one year. As you crank the difficulty level up, though, it generally becomes more realistic, though you will still have players hitting over .400 with really high homerun totals.

And like the others, I like some of the old-school HR derby formats...I don't remember which (I think it was an EA Sports model...2003 maybe?) had a homerun derby with a junk yard or something beyond the fence, and you got mucho points for hitting a schoolbus, junked cars, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:03 am 

A good GM dynasty game I played was Season Ticket Baseball 2003...You draft and trade to build you Majors, and minors...

No real names are used but the stats and abilities of the players you start the season with are of the real guys from that year...

You can also manage your Major League team, making decisions as to when to pull your pitchers, pinch hitting, defensive replacements, pitch counts, pitcher getting tired...

It wasnt a bad game, it was cheap too...I got it for a few $$'s about a year after it was originally released

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:42 am 

nad69dan wrote:
I liked MVP Baseball 2005 the best...Manny was on the cover, you had a chance to play the big league team, AAA, AA, and A ball teams too...Had to draft and keep the rosters filled...You could realign teams and do a draft, you had payroll limits, and fair trades based on salary...

My favorite part of that game was in Gm mode you could create a new staduim which you could upgrade and edit over the years from a small park to a huge advertisment filled staduim.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:09 am 

Willton wrote:

I personally think MLB 2k5 was the best baseball game ever. I loved the way the baserunners ran around the perimeter of the screen, each with a button icon so you could select the individual runner you wanted. The only other game in that series I owned was 2k7, and I thought it was a step backwards.

I thought MVP was too homer-happy.

The only version of "The Show" I ever had was 2006 (with Big Papi on the cover). I hated that every outfielder had an arm like Andy Van Slyke.

Now I have a Wii, and so far the only game I have is The Bigs. I think it is a lot of fun, and the controls are pretty good once you learn them (but it is hard as h*ll to throw a breaking ball). I may just stick with that this season.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:40 am 

I miss EA sports baseball games.Those were the days :(