Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Padres a trading partner?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:25 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I'll say it again, any talk of moving Polanco to first base is insane. I doubt that you could find a single person in all of baseball who would agree with you.

"Agree 100%. Moving Polanco to 1st base
will interfere with trading Polanco, Kingham, and Mercer
for Alex freaking Rios and the God-awful Alexei Ramirez."

Post subject: Re: Padres a trading partner?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:35 am 
 WWW  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
mjdouble wrote:
There are very few 1Bs that are 6 foot or under and I can't think of one that is very good. Height isn't an absolute necessity for the position but not having it is a clear disadvantage. It is really kind of ridiculous how overvalued defensively corner OFs are. Marte is an elite defensive LF. He was a plus +20 in defensive runs saved (DRS). Adam Dunn is a terrible defensive 1B. he was -12 DRS in just over 600 innings last season. Not saying Snider would be worse than Dunn, but I wouldn't want to put him there in the middle of a season with no training to find out. Even if Polanco plays at Marte's level the chance of him making up the difference for a truly terrible 1B is not good. Especially behind this pitching staff that has ground ball rates higher than any team in baseball by a wide margin. Polanco is a gifted athlete. His future is in the OF. But a short term move to fill a hole is hardly insane.

A lot of first basemen are tall because there is nowhere else that you can hide a big, slow-footed slugger.

Jeff Bagwell managed to win a Gold Glove at first. He was six feet tall. Palmiero won three. He was six feet tall. Don Mattingly won nine. He was six feet tall. Keith Hernandez is probably the best defensive first baseman in my lifetime, winning 11 Gold Gloves. He was six feet tall. Steve Garvey won four at 5'-10". Mike Jorgenson and Mike Squires only manged to win one Gold Glove each at 6'-0" and 5'11", primarily because they hit like shortstops and couldn't get on the field as regulars. Their gloves at first were the only skills they had, and that's what kept them in the majors for twenty seven seasons combined. So much for the importance of height when it comes to playing first base.

So generous of you to compare Snider to one of the worst defensive players I've seen in 50 years of watching baseball. The fact is that Snider would likely be a far better glove at first than Dunn.

Polanco is no more likely to be a decent defensive first baseman than Snider; since neither has experience there, you'd have to rate them even until proven otherwise. But we have plenty of evidence as to who is the better outfielder. Snider is certainly good enough in right, but Polanco is far, far better. And right field defense is far more valuable than first base defense.

I'll say it again, any talk of moving Polanco to first base is insane. I doubt that you could find a single person in all of baseball who would agree with you.

And that is kind of the point. With Polanco you actually could get him some work and see what he looks like playing the position in AAA. Of course it is highly unlikely. I never said it was. But it is way more plausible than switching a player's position on a major league team in season.